Reload this Page >

Submitting an Online UK Tax Return

Submitting an Online UK Tax Return

Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

davidkayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Submitting an Online UK Tax Return

Thank you for that information.

Submission is possible using the HMRC site if you ignore the warnings and have a UK post code and just want to declare uk income.

It is well know that if you want to claim the personal allowance as a non-UK resident you need to fill in SA109 and submit it by post:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/...rd=9EhVkBVcjmE

SA109 Notes - Residence, remittance basis etc. Notes (2013) (PDF, 580KB)
Guidance to help you complete the SA109 supplementary pages to declare your residence and domicile status, to claim the remittance basis, and to claim personal allowances as a non-UK resident.

http://www.taxinnovations.com/articl...or-expatriates

HMRC have confirmed that the “Residence, remittance basis etc.” pages (SA109) are not included on their online software, and that currently there is no intention for this form to be included. For this reason, if you are looking to make a claim for non-residence, or are non-domiciled and wish to claim the remittance basis of assessment, or to claim relief in respect of your non-UK duties, international treaty relief, etc, and you plan to file your own tax return via HMRC’s self assessment software, you will need complete and submit a paper copy of form SA109 in addition to your online return.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So are you asking for advice, or have you already made up your mind about what you want to do.

If you have already filed a return with an Australian address, and it was accepted, and the HMRC assessment correctly reflects tax due, then is there really a problem? Going forward, you should either file on paper or use tax software (if you need to file). Perhaps trying to change what's already done is an unnecessary over-complication?

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 22nd 2014 at 4:02 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

The problem with us trying to file online is that you register with them and are give a number/code (can't quite remember) and then have to wait for some sort of password to be sent to you by post. The original registration number we were given was only valid for thirty days. The password was sent by post - from Malta of all places! - and took 5 weeks to get here, so it was useless.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
The problem with us trying to file online is that you register with them and are give a number/code (can't quite remember) and then have to wait for some sort of password to be sent to you by post. The original registration number we were given was only valid for thirty days. The password was sent by post - from Malta of all places! - and took 5 weeks to get here, so it was useless.
Inland Revenue are shit.

My elderly dad did his tax return and they wrote to him a few months later to tell him they'd lost it and he'd need to do it again. And BTW it's now late and threatened him with penalties and such. Wankers.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidkayla
Thank you for that information.

Submission is possible using the HMRC site if you ignore the warnings and have a UK post code and just want to declare uk income.

It is well know that if you want to claim the personal allowance as a non-UK resident you need to fill in SA109 and submit it by post:

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/...rd=9EhVkBVcjmE

SA109 Notes - Residence, remittance basis etc. Notes (2013) (PDF, 580KB)
Guidance to help you complete the SA109 supplementary pages to declare your residence and domicile status, to claim the remittance basis, and to claim personal allowances as a non-UK resident.

http://www.taxinnovations.com/articl...or-expatriates

HMRC have confirmed that the “Residence, remittance basis etc.” pages (SA109) are not included on their online software, and that currently there is no intention for this form to be included. For this reason, if you are looking to make a claim for non-residence, or are non-domiciled and wish to claim the remittance basis of assessment, or to claim relief in respect of your non-UK duties, international treaty relief, etc, and you plan to file your own tax return via HMRC’s self assessment software, you will need complete and submit a paper copy of form SA109 in addition to your online return.

Well, neither my (ex) wife nor I have submitted any paper based forms back to the UK since being in OZ.

Maybe it is different for different people.

I'll see what they come back with.

Originally Posted by renth
Inland Revenue are shit.

My elderly dad did his tax return and they wrote to him a few months later to tell him they'd lost it and he'd need to do it again. And BTW it's now late and threatened him with penalties and such. Wankers.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,
I am now completely happy and will submit using online HMRC and paper SA109 in the future as it is the easiest for me rather than buying software.

When I wrote the original question I was unsure that I had correctly submitted my return as the personal allowance part was missing. I didn't know if the HMRC assessment correctly reflected tax due.

--

Originally Posted by JAJ
So are you asking for advice, or have you already made up your mind about what you want to do.

If you have already filed a return with an Australian address, and it was accepted, and the HMRC assessment correctly reflects tax due, then is there really a problem? Going forward, you should either file on paper or use tax software (if you need to file). Perhaps trying to change what's already done is an unnecessary over-complication?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

For 2011-2012 tax year I was a UK tax resident so had online details. I went to use it here and saw the warning.
I called EIGHT people in HMRC (thanks to Skype) who hadn't a clue why I could not use online submission. At the end I was really frustrated and said I would just use the e-form...I submitted it, wrote an explanation in the 'other info' box, had to tweak the form with a UK postcode (which it demands) and got a small refund.

So I think there is no real reason for not using on line- bar the postcode thing.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
So I think there is no real reason for not using on line- bar the postcode thing.
Posts above confirm that HMRC's software does not include the non-residents pages, so there is a real reason! The workaround is to submit an incomplete return online and then amend the return by submitting those pages by post, which will work, but is nevertheless not strictly correct.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Pomster,
It was that doubt (that caused you to phone 8 people) that prompted me to drop this forum a line.

I envisaged the tax office writing to me in 4 months time with a 900 pound fine and saying where is your paper copy of your return?

My only defence would be "Oh sorry, I ignored all of your warnings on your web site and found a secret way of getting round your geolocation checks and submitted online".

By phoning up the HMRC at least you have a record that someone has said you are not going to be fined.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get this - I use the HMRC website - I put in an Australian postcode which it accepts, I have never had a warning appear at any time, and I get mail from HMRC to my address here all the time.

Only possible thing I can think of is I don't use Windows :-)
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

StSabre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
I just don't get this - I use the HMRC website - I put in an Australian postcode which it accepts, I have never had a warning appear at any time, and I get mail from HMRC to my address here all the time.

Only possible thing I can think of is I don't use Windows :-)
I don't think it has anything to do with Windows

I thought that the tailoring questions at the start of the process ask whether you were non-resident at any time during the year. Where on your online form are you telling HMRC that you are a non-resident rather than a UK resident using an Australian address? That is the part of the form which is not available through the HMRC online system.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I just received a letter in the mail from HMRC saying I made an error on my return, which I did. They have corrected it automatically and included the personal allowance deduction, so I owe them nothing.

No SA109 sent or needed and no special software either. Just submitted though HMRC online.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

That's great. In fact I still haven't submitted the dreaded SA109. I'm thinking now that maybe I won't.

If you owed them money I guess you would need to submit it then wouldn't you? Otherwise how else are you going to claim your tax free personal allowance. Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to just look at the SA109 to see what you are not telling them?
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by davidkayla
That's great. In fact I still haven't submitted the dreaded SA109. I'm thinking now that maybe I won't.

If you owed them money I guess you would need to submit it then wouldn't you? Otherwise how else are you going to claim your tax free personal allowance. Wouldn't it be a good idea for you to just look at the SA109 to see what you are not telling them?
I just downloaded it, read it and saved it. I lost the plot after the first 6 questions, but I did read it all the way through.

Most of those questions, I wouldn't be able to answer without a great deal of research and other knowledge.

Anyway, my advice would be this: If they ask you to submit it by post etc... then do what is right and comply with their request.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 29th 2014 at 8:00 am.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 7:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Well I am a tax accountant, doing UK tax returns every day. We don't use the same software as you but this is the first I've heard of there being an issue filing online, certainly we don't have a problem using professional software.

As long as you completed everything you were supposed to (I don't actually know how the Revenue's own software works having never used it), I wouldn't be in slightest bit concerned about having submitted online.

You cannot lodge the Residence, Remittance Basis (SA109) supplement online via the HMRC website - therein lies the problem, because those lodging as migrants who are now living in Australia should be submitting this supplement.

To lodge the SA109 you must either buy commercial software that permits the submission of this supplement, or instruct a firm of accountants such as us (or you, Louie) who use UK tax return software to prepare and e-lodge their clients' tax returns.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.