Reload this Page >

Submitted EOI for 189 and 190- Enquiry about 417 visa

Submitted EOI for 189 and 190- Enquiry about 417 visa

Old May 27th 2017, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

RSA_89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Submitted EOI for 189 and 190- Enquiry about 417 visa

Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone might have some advise about whether I am able to do the following:

Background:
I have 60 points currently for 189 and I also applied for 190- NSW. I have applied under my occupation Internal Auditor. As my profession is on the pro rata list and with them only selecting individuals with 70+ for 189, it appears very unlikely that I would get into Australia within the near future as iit stands. I have done the IELTs 4 times and I have been unable to get 8's for each criteria to obtain another 10 points.

Question:
As I am 28 I was wondering whether I am able to go over on a 417 visa (Working holiday visa) whilst I have EOIs for 189/190 submitted? I cannot find anything online that says it's not allowed and my logic is if I am invited I will be in australia anyway.

Logic:
Under the 417 I would be able to work in Australia for max 2 years (including 3 months farm work), allowing me to gain atleast a year's experience in Australia which would give me an additional 5 points if I have not been awarded an invitation by then, wheras in the UK I would have to work another year and a half to gain 5 more points.

If anyone has any information whether I am able/ not able to do this, , it would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 28th 2017, 2:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Submitted EOI for 189 and 190- Enquiry about 417 visa

Originally Posted by RSA_89
Good Afternoon,

I am hoping someone might have some advise about whether I am able to do the following:

Background:
I have 60 points currently for 189 and I also applied for 190- NSW. I have applied under my occupation Internal Auditor. As my profession is on the pro rata list and with them only selecting individuals with 70+ for 189, it appears very unlikely that I would get into Australia within the near future as iit stands. I have done the IELTs 4 times and I have been unable to get 8's for each criteria to obtain another 10 points.

Question:
As I am 28 I was wondering whether I am able to go over on a 417 visa (Working holiday visa) whilst I have EOIs for 189/190 submitted? I cannot find anything online that says it's not allowed and my logic is if I am invited I will be in australia anyway.

Logic:
Under the 417 I would be able to work in Australia for max 2 years (including 3 months farm work), allowing me to gain atleast a year's experience in Australia which would give me an additional 5 points if I have not been awarded an invitation by then, wheras in the UK I would have to work another year and a half to gain 5 more points.

If anyone has any information whether I am able/ not able to do this, , it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't believe there is anything stopping you from applying for or holding a WHV. If the only reason for doing so is to try and get the extra 5 points you would probably be better off staying in the UK as finding relevant work experience with WHV limitations may be difficult. Have you tried any of the other acceptable English tests to see if you can get the score you need in those? With IELTS, what area of the test is letting you down. Can you focus on that to gain extra points, or is it a mixed bag?

On the other hand, WHV's are a great way to experience Australia - and an EOI will remain in the pool for a max 2 years so there is nothing to stop you trying
Old May 28th 2017, 2:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Submitted EOI for 189 and 190- Enquiry about 417 visa

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I don't believe there is anything stopping you from applying for or holding a WHV. If the only reason for doing so is to try and get the extra 5 points you would probably be better off staying in the UK as finding relevant work experience with WHV limitations may be difficult. Have you tried any of the other acceptable English tests to see if you can get the score you need in those? With IELTS, what area of the test is letting you down. Can you focus on that to gain extra points, or is it a mixed bag?

On the other hand, WHV's are a great way to experience Australia - and an EOI will remain in the pool for a max 2 years so there is nothing to stop you trying
Just to confirm that you are right, there is nothing to stop the OP applying for, and holding, a 417.