Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:21 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Subject matter no one talks about on BE

God I must be bored to be back on this site....but here we go...

One thing no one ever talks about on this site is the end of tax year and how good it is! (cue sad muppet who searches the forum for a tax-related thread)

July 1 = best time of the year for regular employees surely!?! The things you can claim back is unreal...in the UK I had Sky...I paid god knows how much for it each month and that was that. Here in Oz, I have Foxtel and because of my line of work can claim every single monthly payment back!

One year, I'm going to try and claim every single outgoing payment back (perhaps not my mortgage... but everything else). I've also been told today I can claim my upcoming holiday to NZ back if I go for one half hour meeting at our NZ office!!!!

God I love Australia.... you may pay more tax but by god, you get it back come 1 July!!!

R
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:30 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Originally Posted by samnrob2 View Post
God I must be bored to be back on this site....but here we go...

One thing no one ever talks about on this site is the end of tax year and how good it is! (cue sad muppet who searches the forum for a tax-related thread)

July 1 = best time of the year for regular employees surely!?! The things you can claim back is unreal...in the UK I had Sky...I paid god knows how much for it each month and that was that. Here in Oz, I have Foxtel and because of my line of work can claim every single monthly payment back!

One year, I'm going to try and claim every single outgoing payment back (perhaps not my mortgage... but everything else). I've also been told today I can claim my upcoming holiday to NZ back if I go for one half hour meeting at our NZ office!!!!

God I love Australia.... you may pay more tax but by god, you get it back come 1 July!!!

R

There has to be a catch.,.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

must be.......
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year we got over $2,000 back and had only paid regular tax for six months, we were able to claim for all sorts. The other thing I like, is the relative ease of the on line tax return system. Far easier and straightforward than the UK.

It has definitely been discussed on here before
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:51 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 View Post
must be.......
No catch...seriously...it's an easy $10k back each year!! I work in PR (media relations) and as a result I claim back mobile phone bills, Foxtel, magazine subscriptions, digital camera (I use it every now and again for work), laptop (I work from home every now and again, broadband connection (for the same reason), work-related 'research', etc. It's completely legit!!

It's truely an amazing time of year. I have work colleagues who, every single year, get $10k back at the end of tax year....better than Christmas!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:53 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

No catch...seriously...it's an easy $10k back each year!! I work in PR (media relations) and as a result I claim back mobile phone bills, Foxtel, magazine subscriptions, digital camera (I use it every now and again for work), laptop (I work from home every now and again, broadband connection (for the same reason), work-related 'research', etc. It's completely legit!!

It's truely an amazing time of year. I have work colleagues who, every single year, get $10k back at the end of tax year....better than Christmas!

bloody hell!! come on get me that visa!!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:00 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by welshviking View Post
bloody hell!! come on get me that visa!!!!!
I suppose the only 'catch' is that you have to spend it in the first place - everything has to have a receipt.

Who cares if we don't have any water... Australia's the best f*****g country in the world!!!

R
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

R.Sitch is an unknown quantity at this point

I am heading back to the uk for a quick visit soon If I gained a qualification relating to work somehow while in the UK can I claim all the flights etc back from the tax returns
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:12 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20 View Post
Last year we got over $2,000 back and had only paid regular tax for six months
Don't expect that every year. They tax each week / month as if you were earning that all year rather than doing it cumulatively as they do in the UK. As a contractor, I get some solace from the days I don't earn anything cos of holidays / sickness that at least I will get "tax back" on those days.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:16 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by R.Sitch View Post
I am heading back to the uk for a quick visit soon If I gained a qualification relating to work somehow while in the UK can I claim all the flights etc back from the tax returns
Okay...with a sensible head on, always get an accountant's take on everything first.

If you can reasonably claim there is a work-related trip then there's no issue. I've seen it all the time where our interstate colleagues come up for a golf weekend but schedule a half hour meeting on Friday afternoon. Come the end of tax year - that's a return flight to Brissie claimed back.

You always have to substantiate your business travel. If I claim back my NZ flights then I have to give evidence (if required under an audit) that my meeting took place (could be an email snail trail, etc).

I forgot the best claim I can make....my TV!! I work in media and have to be up to date with all media opportunities for my clients!!!

R
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Okay...with a sensible head on, always get an accountant's take on everything first.

If you can reasonably claim there is a work-related trip then there's no issue. I've seen it all the time where our interstate colleagues come up for a golf weekend but schedule a half hour meeting on Friday afternoon. Come the end of tax year - that's a return flight to Brissie claimed back.

You always have to substantiate your business travel. If I claim back my NZ flights then I have to give evidence (if required under an audit) that my meeting took place (could be an email snail trail, etc).

I forgot the best claim I can make....my TV!! I work in media and have to be up to date with all media opportunities for my clients!!!

R
Dont forget you cn also claim any expenses incured from using a tax agent! So you only really pay the 1st year!
If you go away and rent your house out, you can claim, mortgage, and "wear and tear"on all appliances under a few years old, and if thats greater than tax earned you can carry it over to the next year!! Fantastic
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:30 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by Birdey View Post
Dont forget you cn also claim any expenses incured from using a tax agent!
Can you really?! WOW! That's another $140!!! Ha ha ha ha Seriously....this is going to be my third tax year and I'm still in a state of shock at what you can claim back...

The only other 'catch' is that you have be really good at filing. We've got ring binders full of receipts, emails, etc, etc. Heaven forbid if we get an audit and we can't prove anything
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but those things that you claim are not deducted from your tax bill - they're deducted from your taxable income. You're still paying for them, but paying for them from your pre-tax income not your after-tax income.

You effectively get back the tax you paid (at your maginal rate) on those claimed items - not the total cost of the claimed items.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:36 pm

Simba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of lightSimba is a glorious beacon of light

If you use your own car to get to work and back can you claim back the tax on fuel, servicing, depreciation ?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:42 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't assume you will get cash back. I did the first year due to not working a whole year. Since then I have had two years when I have ended up with a bill. Can't claim for anything in an ordinary admin job and I end up with a bill of $600-700 a time.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.