Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subject matter no one talks about on BE

Originally Posted by samnrob2
God I must be bored to be back on this site....but here we go...

One thing no one ever talks about on this site is the end of tax year and how good it is! (cue sad muppet who searches the forum for a tax-related thread)

July 1 = best time of the year for regular employees surely!?! The things you can claim back is unreal...in the UK I had Sky...I paid god knows how much for it each month and that was that. Here in Oz, I have Foxtel and because of my line of work can claim every single monthly payment back!

One year, I'm going to try and claim every single outgoing payment back (perhaps not my mortgage... but everything else). I've also been told today I can claim my upcoming holiday to NZ back if I go for one half hour meeting at our NZ office!!!!

God I love Australia.... you may pay more tax but by god, you get it back come 1 July!!!

R
Not seen your name for a while, did you used to work in Leyland or something (trying to dig into the back of my memory here)? I seem to remember something along those lines.
J
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:14 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's as simple as that. You can only get back the % you use for work. So if you use your Broad Band 50% work and 50% home use you can claim 50% back.

If you can reasonably claim there is a work-related trip then there's no issue. I've seen it all the time where our interstate colleagues come up for a golf weekend but schedule a half hour meeting on Friday afternoon. Come the end of tax year - that's a return flight to Brissie claimed back.

You always have to substantiate your business travel. If I claim back my NZ flights then I have to give evidence (if required under an audit) that my meeting took place (could be an email snail trail, etc).

I forgot the best claim I can make....my TV!! I work in media and have to be up to date with all media opportunities for my clients!!!

R
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:17 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if you get audited

Originally Posted by welshviking
There has to be a catch.,.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

And if you get audited, then the tax office will go through your last 3 or 5 years claims ( cant remember which) with a fine tooth comb and you will have to justify every dollar that you have claimed.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Its always a bit annoying when people in the private sector gloat about all the cheeky tax savings they make and then whinge like hell about public sector pensions!
Alex is a teacher and I'm a copper and so we are not likely to be able to claim back a lot of anything at all - the pensions tend to balance things out even though they are not quite as good in Oz as they are in UK
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:20 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by themerlin
I don't think it's as simple as that. You can only get back the % you use for work. So if you use your Broad Band 50% work and 50% home use you can claim 50% back.
I can realistically claim back the entire amount because of my work - even being on BE is classed as work research for me because it's a communication forum. Owning and watching TV is another 100% tax deductable item for me.

And to Matt and Jenny - yep I used to work in Leyland. Haven't been back there in about 5-6 years mind!

Have spent the last two Christmas' in the midlands...this year we'll be staying put in Bris Vegas.

R
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I can realistically claim back the entire amount because of my work - even being on BE is classed as work research for me because it's a communication forum. Owning and watching TV is another 100% tax deductable item for me.

And to Matt and Jenny - yep I used to work in Leyland. Haven't been back there in about 5-6 years mind!

Have spent the last two Christmas' in the midlands...this year we'll be staying put in Bris Vegas.

R
Good luck to you if you get a tax auditor on your back
Old Jun 16th 2007, 4:25 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

We are off to the UK in a couple of weeks. I am going to be there two weeks and my OH three as he has arranged the last last week for meetings with a few newspapers and media companies with regard to work he is doing here. Could he claim his airfare back or part of it at least?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't assume you will get cash back. I did the first year due to not working a whole year. Since then I have had two years when I have ended up with a bill. Can't claim for anything in an ordinary admin job and I end up with a bill of $600-700 a time.
Can I ask why? Aren't you taxed at source? Or is it because you forgot to tell someone that you got a payrise - for example where some sort of means tested benefit was paid? Or had to pay a medicare levy?

This would also be possible if you estimated your income too low and you were claiming Family Benefit....
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:04 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Can I ask why? Aren't you taxed at source? Or is it because you forgot to tell someone that you got a payrise - for example where some sort of means tested benefit was paid? Or had to pay a medicare levy?

This would also be possible if you estimated your income too low and you were claiming Family Benefit....
Bank accounts are not taxed at source. Maybe she is minted?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:07 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the streets are paved with gold!!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:13 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to get a lot back as i have only worked 8 months. Still have to find myself a decent accountant.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
I'm hoping to get a lot back as i have only worked 8 months. Still have to find myself a decent accountant.
Graham Greene was good for me a few years back. works from the CBD.....
9290 3910
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:33 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Bank accounts are not taxed at source. Maybe she is minted?
That's not quite true worzel. The banks deduct withholding tax if you withhold your TFN. Once you get and give them a TFN then the ATO knows of your existance and your interst income gets taxed at your personal rate.

All I can say to the guy claiming 100% of his broadband and tv at home is good luck and prey you don't get audited. Why not claim your bog rolls back as surely sometimes you go for a number 2 whilst watching TV or surfing the web.

I also can't understand why people on here are trying to make out the tax system here is paved with gold. It's just not true. For the majority of the working population on PAYE you have very little you can deduct and claim, about the same as the UK. Those self employed like myself also pay PAYE but have a broader number of things you can claim for so long as they are a legit business expense, and how is it a saving anyway? You spent the money on that expense.

The first 6 months I was here I too thought the tax system great as I only had half a years income. That meant it was less than 40k a year and therfore nearly every expense I had on the farm could be claimed. The second year I got stung for 12k, and this year 10k on top of about 3k a quarter.

For me the end of the tax year is a shite experience. EVERYONE here has to do a tax return which is a thing reserved for the select few back home. That costs a couple of hundred a year to get your finances done by an accountant. Then there is the week or so wasted gathering up all your recipts and actually doing your BAS (if you have an ABN) and end of year personal tax stuff. And as for everyone jumping up and down saying how great it is to get a tax refund, I've only one thing to say....THATS COS YOU OVERPAID IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Last edited by arkon; Jun 16th 2007 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
That's not quite true worzel. The banks deduct withholding tax if you withhold your TFN. Once you get and give them a TFN then the ATO knows of your existance and your interst income gets taxed at your personal rate.

Those self employed like myself also pay PAYE but have a broader number of things you can claim for so long as they are a legit business expense, and how is it a saving anyway? You spent the money on that expense.

For me the end of the tax year is a shite experience. EVERYONE here has to do a tax return which is a thing reserved for the select few back home. That costs a couple of hundred a year to get your finances done by an accountant. Then there is the week or so wasted gathering up all your recipts and actually doing your BAS (if you have an ABN) and end of year personal tax stuff. And as for everyone jumping up and down saying how great it is to get a tax refund, I've only one thing to say....THATS COS YOU OVERPAID IN THE FIRST PLACE!
I liked this post - it's fair. I'd say the two regimes are similar (although I got hit with annual tax returns for years in the UK- for doing nothing than spend time overseas -even still being paid inthe UK and in sterling).

Some groups of people can offset things against tax. Other rules stop IT contractors from pretending to be companies. It's true that you have to spend to get the savings, but then those things might be things you do actually need. It works for small business. I'm convinced the average tradie or business makes the money they do because their whole operation is an exercise in keeping onto what would otherwise be tax, or getting paid in cash. In that sense, capitalism is rewarded and most of the cash will go back into the economy Ășnless its under the mattress.

But I also think people who don't really understand money think it sounds cool to have stuff they can ''write off''. They're playing big boys rules and they have an ''accountant''.

I find the energy in finding receipts and the claim almost negate a small saving for me. I could well see the benefit if the writeoffs brought you into a lower tax bracket which is why aload of salaried people got into rental property inthe first place before this big boom.

For many, keep organised and an internet return is quite simple or the yearly bill is really quite small.

As for you getting hit with a bill the 2nd and 3rd year, there is a reason - presumably legal. It will be the reverse as for getting money back - you UNDERPAID. or UNDERESTIMATED.

Getting money back is not as absurd a thing to be happy about - I might be inclined to see it as a SAVINGS plan. You got a windfall after a year of saving a few quid here and there which you might not have noticed in the first place.(!) Now where's my interest!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 16th 2007 at 12:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.