Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Subject Access Request (Acro) Illegal?

Subject Access Request (Acro) Illegal?

Old Dec 13th 2021, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Subject Access Request (Acro) Illegal?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Warning or caution? As mentioned, a caution is a conviction since you acknowledge you committed a crime when you accept the caution.

I'm not sure if a warning would give a 'No Live Trace', so if you used that term in your stat. dec, it may explain why you now have been asked if you would do the subject access request.

If you are still concerned, you can always tell immi that it's unlawful, that the ACRO provides all the info they need, and let them adjudicate your application as is.

EDIT - just had a quick Google, and warnings might appear on an ACRO. There is still a difference between warnings and cautions though, so you should describe your record accurately and consistently, as even if the original case does not warrant refusal, if immi think you are not honest with your answers it'll have a negative impact I would think.

Caution

If you admit an offence, the police can give you a caution. A caution is not a conviction. A caution is a warning which stays on your record for six years if you’re an adult, or two years if you’re under 18.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...l-record-check

Sorry i meant to say i just have a caution. To be honest i'm less worried since many posters on here see the subject access request as normal. I've just never heard of it before and reading the ACRO site they state it is against the law for any organisation to demand this so i was a bit worried. I'm just going to upload it when i get it as i've nothing to hide, maybe a few of the details will be off such as the exact year it happened as it may have been 10 or 11 years ago but the overall story will be pretty much the same.

Last edited by paddy234; Dec 13th 2021 at 10:02 am.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234

Caution

If you admit an offence, the police can give you a caution. A caution is not a conviction. A caution is a warning which stays on your record for six years if you’re an adult, or two years if you’re under 18.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...l-record-check

Sorry i meant to say i just have a caution. To be honest i'm less worried since many posters on here see the subject access request as normal. I've just never heard of it before and reading the ACRO site they state it is against the law for any organisation to demand this so i was a bit worried. I'm just going to upload it when i get it as i've nothing to hide, maybe a few of the details will be off such as the exact year it happened as it may have been 10 or 11 years ago but the overall story will be pretty much the same.
Until a few years ago, the Subject Access check was the one required for immigration. As a former worker in the Subject Access arena, I strongly suspect that the Home Office is trying to dissuade people from wrongly supplying it for migration purposes now, by being so blatant with their warnings that its a personal document and "not for immigration purposes".
Old Dec 14th 2021, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Until a few years ago, the Subject Access check was the one required for immigration. As a former worker in the Subject Access arena, I strongly suspect that the Home Office is trying to dissuade people from wrongly supplying it for migration purposes now, by being so blatant with their warnings that its a personal document and "not for immigration purposes".
Unfortunately the unhelpful and vague police clearance they send out is responsible for anyone with a no live trace or live trace requesting a subject access form making the Police Clearance useless. It's format clearly wasn't thought through and they are needlessly creating more work for themselves. This obviously is a common scenario, you would think they would re-asses it

Last edited by paddy234; Dec 14th 2021 at 11:12 am.
Old Dec 14th 2021, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a caution you admitted an offence.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 7:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
Unfortunately the unhelpful and vague police clearance they send out is responsible for anyone with a no live trace or live trace requesting a subject access form making the Police Clearance useless. It's format clearly wasn't thought through and they are needlessly creating more work for themselves. This obviously is a common scenario, you would think they would re-asses it
Only common for those that have convictions or cautions.

Many of those know in advance that applying for a visa may not be successful.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you have a caution you admitted an offence.
That is correct. It is still different from a conviction however
Old Dec 15th 2021, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Only common for those that have convictions or cautions.

Many of those know in advance that applying for a visa may not be successful.
True but think of the substantial amount of people with a caution who are very likely to be successful and therefore need to go down this route. ACRO should be well accustomed to it by now.