Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Subaru Forester Vs. Toyota Rav4

Subaru Forester Vs. Toyota Rav4

Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Subaru Forester Vs. Toyota Rav4

Just trying to decide between these two. Anyone used them in Oz? How do they compare in terms of reliability, maintenance cost, resale value, comfort, interior quality, ride, handling etc. We (wife, son and myself) need a vehicle mostly for city use (NSW) but also some weekending off-road.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subaru Forester Vs. Toyota Rav4

Originally Posted by caliburn
Just trying to decide between these two. Anyone used them in Oz? How do they compare in terms of reliability, maintenance cost, resale value, comfort, interior quality, ride, handling etc. We (wife, son and myself) need a vehicle mostly for city use (NSW) but also some weekending off-road.
Contact the NRMA. They do independent comparisons on all vehicles and would be able give you the data to help you make a decision, as people have different opinions about vehicles.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:56 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I think the forester is a better buy.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Forester XT - great car. Trouble free so far. Tad thirsty but great sound
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, definitely the Forester over the Rav4.

Foresters have more of an air of seriousness about them than Rav4s, which are supposedly hairdresser's cars.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

have you also thought of an xtrail ,did 60000klm in mine last year never put a foot wrong.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we have both cars.

Forestor is more of a work horse and is solidly reliable, holds it value and is really good car.

Rav4 is great too but more of a Chelsea tractor-not sure I would go anywhere near off road in it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:45 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

neighbour has a newish rav4 its good off road, but the 4x4 automatically kicks out after 40k I think he said. Not good on the beach.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

thermojetics is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Forester has more space than RAV 4. Reliability is about the same.

Last edited by thermojetics; Oct 29th 2009 at 1:02 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:00 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

how much 4x4 driving are you looking at? Do either of them have low range gearing? Not necessary for beach work, but very handy in the bush on rocky trails.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

jamiefrod will become famous soon enoughjamiefrod will become famous soon enough

I would advise not to buy anything with the word FOREST in it, maybe a dodge RAM?!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:31 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Neither have low range gearing so really not ideal for any decent offroading
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought the Rav had a higher ground clearance which could be an issue depending on which dirt roads you go down.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

scaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to allscaria197 is a name known to all

Not sure about the Aussie Rav4. We have the Japan built US Rav4.

I have driven it in snow and off-road never had any issues with it. I even tried to swing and move it to see if it moves but this thing would just go in a straight line.

Coincidentaly I have owned a Subaru Forestor. I liked that too but just felt the space was a little more on the Rav4 (I think North American and Australia get the long version Rav4). Also, wife prefers the Rav4 over the Forestor. Overall I would buy the Rav4 over the Forestor. Forestor just seems a little more box shaped without the curves. Not that Rav4 is a stunner..

Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:31 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Having owned both, I'd go for the Rav-4 everytime. Better equiped, better made, superior interior, and contrary to what others have put it is bigger inside and being able to completely remove the rear seats is a huge bonus.

Resale values are high and servicing costs are average, no they don't have a low range gear but I've seen the odd one or two on the beach on Fraser Island whenever I've gone so they can't be that bad off-road. Just make sure you go for the Cruiser model with all the extras.

Found the Forester sluggish, thirsty and very 'cheap' inside. They do have the low range selector but having left it in low range occasionally and was still able to get to a fairly high speed it's not that 'low'.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.