British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The stupidity of drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/stupidity-drivers-678931/)

ABCDiamond Aug 5th 2010 7:34 am

Re: The stupidity of drivers

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 8754214)
Penfolds - different grapes and vintage ranging from 14 to 14.5
Shiraz (cleanskin WA) 14
Gietzen Sav Blanc 13
Wolfgang - Chardonnary 13.5
and on but all around the 13 and upwards mark.

Penfolds Rawson's Retreat Merlot is 13.5
Penfolds Koonunga Hill Merlot is 13.5

Looks like I seem to prefer the lower alcohol range without realising it :lol:

meelie Aug 5th 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by buzz (Post 8754278)
Does anyone know what the rules are here for police drivers with regards to speeding - do they have to have their flashing emergency lights on? It's just that I've several times seen police vehicles speeding, weaving, tail-gating etc, never with any lights/siren going. Doesn't set a very good example.

They probably have their own rules:sneaky:

Coryate Aug 7th 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8745899)
Have you actually driven for a considerable amount of time in Australia before?

Even the most "I LOVE AUSTRALIA IT IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH" basher will tell you they are some of the worst drivers in the world.
In fact it is probably the most concensus you will get on comparitive debates brought up on this forum.
I'm not saying the Brits are angels on the roads but they are much more disciplined than Aussies.

About 10 years in Australia, 3 in NZ, now 10 in the UK. It does occur to me that when I was in Australia, I had a big van, while I have a much smaller Golf here.

One time in Oz my Kung Fu teacher was out driving his father-in-laws 4x4, and he said it looked like it came out of a Mad Max movie, he also commented that it's the only time ever that he was given right of way, even when the other driver was in the right.

But the first thing I noticed here is how optional indicating seems to be, (bastards in their Range Rovers tailgating on the motorways...grrrr) constant speeding on the motorways, and talking on the phone while driving.

Naturally when it's cold wet rainy and covered in snow, everyone slows down and looks where they are going...well mostly..

peggy76 Aug 8th 2010 4:27 am

I was going round a round about a few days ago and could not believe my eyes. ON the opposite side of the round about was a driving instructor with phone in his hand, against his ear. what chances have learners got when even instructors ignore the law.

Still Game Aug 8th 2010 2:11 pm

I think drivers are bad the world around. There are some great, some ok, some awful and some who should be wrestled from their car, slapped across the legs and given a tricycle!

I find drivers in the UK to be very bad. Contstantly tailgating, doing a huge amount well over the speed limit and racing up behind you / flashing lights when you're overtaking, indication is definitely an optional extra in most cars, (the more expensive the less optional it seems to be) and just general discourteous impatient driving. I see it every day on the way to work and on my return.

There are however of course, some great drivers, perhaps we don't notice it as much as we notice the idiots.

MartinLuther Aug 8th 2010 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8745899)
Have you actually driven for a considerable amount of time in Australia before?

Even the most "I LOVE AUSTRALIA IT IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH" basher will tell you they are some of the worst drivers in the world.
In fact it is probably the most concensus you will get on comparitive debates brought up on this forum.
I'm not saying the Brits are angels on the roads but they are much more disciplined than Aussies.

I wouldn't say that Aussies are the worst drivers on earth (but then I don't say that Aussie is the best place on earth). The worst drivers I've encountered are from Europe (and Egypt) and I dare say there are worse ones in some of the Asian countries where mass car ownership is a recent occurrence.

I'm surprised that someone who spent a significant amount of time in France can say Aussies drivers are the worst in the world.

BadgeIsBack Aug 9th 2010 12:32 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8762013)
I wouldn't say that Aussies are the worst drivers on earth (but then I don't say that Aussie is the best place on earth). The worst drivers I've encountered are from Europe (and Egypt) and I dare say there are worse ones in some of the Asian countries where mass car ownership is a recent occurrence.

I'm surprised that someone who spent a significant amount of time in France can say Aussies drivers are the worst in the world.

You'd have to be pretty sheltered to think Australian driving was one of the worst in the world.

And if you think it was best, then you probably do come from a 3rd world country!

Broad Shoulders Aug 9th 2010 12:57 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8762013)

I didn't, learn to read

Broad Shoulders Aug 9th 2010 1:01 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 8762251)
You'd have to be pretty sheltered to think Australian driving was one of the worst in the world.

And if you think it was best, then you probably do come from a 3rd world country!

Well, I have driven (for a considerable amount of time ie: more than just a holiday) in France, UK, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Czech Rep & Turkey.

Additionally, I have driven whilst on holiday in Egypt, Italy, Greece and Belgium and I can honestly say that of all of the countries I have driven in, considering the quality of cars available to them that Australia would rank as the worst for me.

I never said it was the worst in the world, but I certainly rank it up there with what you expect from some 3rd World countries.

MartinLuther Aug 9th 2010 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8762291)
I didn't, learn to read

Okay Teach! Tell me what I got wrong? A bit of loose semantics maybe. Some of the worst in the world vis the worst in the world. Huge difference there! I was in the ball park at least ;) :rofl:

My bit of Aus is slightly worse than the UK (some things worse other things better) but nowhere as bad as Belgium, France, Spain, Italy or Greece.

Wol Aug 9th 2010 2:04 am

My take is that it's a different *kind* of worse, if that's not too odd a way of putting it.

Worse in the sense of "unthinking" and "inconsiderate".

Opening their car door into the path of oncoming cyclists and cars. (this is almost universal here.)

Blocking the lane when turning right instead of correctly positioning so that the cars behind can pass on the inside (almost universal)

Tailgating, without the slightest conception of dynamics, momentum, braking and thinking time.

Inability to overtake even when tailgating and the car in front slows down - I've actually come to a halt, pulling over to allow one to pass, and had him come to a stop behind me rather than actually pull out!

Widespread inability to think ahead: I have to turn off a four lane road to go down my street: I indicate well before the turn and often sit there, indicating, in the RH lane and watching the traffic approaching from behind with trepidation: are they EVER going to see what's in front and pull over to the inside?

The idiot hoons are just the icing on the cake, IMO.

Sass73 Aug 9th 2010 2:26 am

I'm with you Wol on every single point! I also have to turn right into my car park and am constantly watching for the idiots to quickly swerve around me to avoid slamming into the back of my car. I've also talked about the inability to anticipate hazards to friends who just can't believe how bad it is.

The tailgating is horrendous, especially when all other lanes are free.

What really amuses me though, are the drivers that come and sit behind you when you have a right hand indicator on at the traffic lights - and then have to pull in front of someone else to get around you. What do they reckon is going to happen?

BadgeIsBack Aug 9th 2010 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 8762300)
Well, I have driven (for a considerable amount of time ie: more than just a holiday) in France, UK, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Czech Rep & Turkey.

Additionally, I have driven whilst on holiday in Egypt, Italy, Greece and Belgium and I can honestly say that of all of the countries I have driven in, considering the quality of cars available to them that Australia would rank as the worst for me.

I never said it was the worst in the world, but I certainly rank it up there with what you expect from some 3rd World countries.

Wasn't talking about you Sir! Ya Boo!

bcworld Aug 9th 2010 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 8762364)
Widespread inability to think ahead: I have to turn off a four lane road to go down my street: I indicate well before the turn and often sit there, indicating, in the RH lane and watching the traffic approaching from behind with trepidation: are they EVER going to see what's in front and pull over to the inside?

This happens to me twice a day almost every day. One, I often parallel park in the street outside my place. So I indicate left nice and early to signal my intentions...check mirror, still attached to my back bumper...so I brake gradually to try and make it clear I'm stopping...check mirror, still there. Finally coming to a stop where there is a space when dumbass generally has to either stop too or make an exaggerated manouver around...sometimes accompanied by horn blowing or gesturing. The road is plenty wide that none of this is necessary. Two is a simple left turn from a left hand lane and still people seem confused! I do check to make sure my indicators actually work because that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Sass73 Aug 9th 2010 3:07 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8762451)
This happens to me twice a day almost every day. One, I often parallel park in the street outside my place. So I indicate left nice and early to signal my intentions...check mirror, still attached to my back bumper...so I brake gradually to try and make it clear I'm stopping...check mirror, still there. Finally coming to a stop where there is a space when dumbass generally has to either stop too or make an exaggerated manouver around...sometimes accompanied by horn blowing or gesturing. The road is plenty wide that none of this is necessary. Two is a simple left turn from a left hand lane and still people seem confused! I do check to make sure my indicators actually work because that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.

Checked indicators as well. Can't believe that they do that! I had it happen last week and I double checked my indicators and brake lights :D