Stupid questions about maps and driving

Wikiposts

Stupid questions about maps and driving

Old May 19th 2005, 12:24 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stupid questions about maps and driving

Originally Posted by helinuk
A good link ABC
I have to confess I usually use D. I used D to get up and down "Arthurs seat" at Mornington no problem.
Ah, but are you sticking to the speed limit?

Whether you need to use the lower gears or not will depend on the car, the load and the speed that you are doing. With all the family in the car and staying below the 60 speed limit, I find my car is constantly changing from 3rd to 4th and back again. When I'm on my own I don't need to do this.

Regards
Alistair
Old May 19th 2005, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Ah, but are you sticking to the speed limit?

Whether you need to use the lower gears or not will depend on the car, the load and the speed that you are doing. With all the family in the car and staying below the 60 speed limit, I find my car is constantly changing from 3rd to 4th and back again. When I'm on my own I don't need to do this.

Regards
Alistair
I was neurotic about keeping to the speed limit after lots of warnings from friends! I was on my own - driving a ford focus ,no family in car - would consider lower gears if I do it again with people in car!
Old May 19th 2005, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banksia
Sydney Morning Herlad Column 8 reports on a reader who uses the 1940 edition of Gregorys on the basis that if the address isn't in that edition, it's not worth going there.
Ha, ha - that's really funny. I'd have to agree with that.
Old May 19th 2005, 11:41 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
always start in D

Automatics wont start in 'D'
Old May 19th 2005, 11:44 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
ever use 1 or 2 if it's a VERY steep hill, and I haven't found one in Australia like that yet
Try going over the great dividing range on the Vic/NSW border in June/July time with a trailer full of camping gear on the nissan and it will probably be used a few times!!
Old May 21st 2005, 1:15 am
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

I agree - they are stupid questions.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:25 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Here I am out here in Oz, and while unafraidf to ask most of the inevitable innocaently stupid questions I've stiull gotr these in my head.

I have a UBD street map of my new home, Melbourne. However, I understand that 'everyone' uses the Melways map. But everytime I go into a bookshop like Angus and Roberston I can never find it. Am I going mad? Where do you get the Melways map? I feel like a complete twit to ask.

What's the local (Victoria) jargon for the 'Highway Code'? What book do I buy for my wife to study it from?

And even stupider.....

I've just hired a car that automatic. OKay, so:
P = Park
N = Neutral
D = Drive
R = Reverse
What is '1', '2' and what is this 'overdrive' button thing I have?

Thanks

Neil The Dim
Heya Neil

Couldn't comment on the Auto, only ever driven manuals apart from a loan car from a UK garage (and when I got my car back a few days later I pulled up at traffic lights on a dual carriageway, forgot I was back in the manual and stalled when the lights went green trying to pull away in fifth DOH! Lucky guy behind me was on the ball lol)

Regarding the Highway code thing, you know that Vicroads should give you your Aussie Licence without a test (Since 1st Jan).

I arrived in November and got the Novice Driver kit from Vicroads which is the equivalent to the Highway Code. Still got it here if you want it, save paying for it! Give me a shout if it's of any use.