Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stupid questions about maps and driving

Stupid questions about maps and driving

Old May 19th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Stupid questions about maps and driving

Here I am out here in Oz, and while unafraidf to ask most of the inevitable innocaently stupid questions I've stiull gotr these in my head.

I have a UBD street map of my new home, Melbourne. However, I understand that 'everyone' uses the Melways map. But everytime I go into a bookshop like Angus and Roberston I can never find it. Am I going mad? Where do you get the Melways map? I feel like a complete twit to ask.

What's the local (Victoria) jargon for the 'Highway Code'? What book do I buy for my wife to study it from?

And even stupider.....

I've just hired a car that automatic. OKay, so:
P = Park
N = Neutral
D = Drive
R = Reverse
What is '1', '2' and what is this 'overdrive' button thing I have?

Thanks

Neil The Dim
Old May 19th 2005, 9:47 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid questions about maps and driving

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Here I am out here in Oz, and while unafraidf to ask most of the inevitable innocaently stupid questions I've stiull gotr these in my head.

I have a UBD street map of my new home, Melbourne. However, I understand that 'everyone' uses the Melways map. But everytime I go into a bookshop like Angus and Roberston I can never find it. Am I going mad? Where do you get the Melways map? I feel like a complete twit to ask.

What's the local (Victoria) jargon for the 'Highway Code'? What book do I buy for my wife to study it from?

And even stupider.....

P = Park
N = Neutral
D = Drive
R = Reverse

Thanks

Neil The Dim
the automatic car shift:

1 is sometimes L
2 is usually always 2 but can be S

Think of 1 or L as first gear. 2 or S as 2nd-3rd gear and D as 3rd-4th gear

You should really start in N move to 1 or L then into 2 then D

Always use 1 (0-15KPH)or L at very low speeds or coming down or going up very steep grade, 2 or S for for moderately steep grade and slowish speeds (15-40 KPH)

Use D for speeds over 40 KPH

An automatic is clutchless not gearless ( they have things called "bands" on the gearbox drive (spline). When automatics can detect the road and act accordingly ( computerised one day maybe) then their will no longer be a 1/L and 2/S

MAPS: A map book is a map book. Which one is only a preference thing. All streets and suburbs are still the same. UBD is fine Why shell out good money just cause others prefer melway?

If UBD was shit no one would buy it and they'd stop publishing it
Old May 19th 2005, 9:50 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot the overdrive thing. Overdrive is a cruise thing that you usually employ when you are out on a long road trip where the speed limit is continuously at say 100 KPH or more. (not for use in built up areas or where speed limits change over short distances)
Old May 19th 2005, 9:56 am
Banned

PS: Feel free to leave me some Karma ( you hit the blue button at the bottom left corner) for being so damn helpful
Old May 19th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Stupid questions about maps and driving

And even stupider.....

P = Park
N = Neutral
D = Drive
R = Reverse

Thanks

Neil The Dim
I've seen melways and vic roads maps for sale at post shops.
Pootle

ps we use both and they are very useful!
Old May 19th 2005, 10:18 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

And even stupider.....

P = Park
N = Neutral
D = Drive
R = Reverse

Thanks

Neil The Dim
Hello,

You're more likely to get a Melways in a newsgent or Big W than in a normal bookshop.

For "normal" driving conditions you put the car in D and it does everything for you. You use 1 and 2 (and 3 on our car) for steep hills to stop the car changing up and down too much - it's a way of telling the car to stick in this gear (or lower) while we go up this hill. For example, going up the twisty road that leads to the top of Arthur's Seat I put our car into 3 and it goes up smoothly - remember to put it back into D when you get to the top. (Note I got this information from the car manual when I was trying to workout how to use the CD multichanger )

Cheers
Alistair
Old May 19th 2005, 10:35 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Stupid questions about maps and driving

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

You're more likely to get a Melways in a newsgent or Big W than in a normal bookshop.
yeh, saw Melway today for $33 in Big W.

UBD seem to be swamping the Melbourne market I think, it won't do them any good cos

1/ any map reference you get in Melb will be a Melway number cos that's what everybody already has

2/ UBD haven't got their act together. Nearly bought a property last week backing on to a park. UBD didnt have a name for the park but Melway called it the "Proposed Healseville Freeway". :scared:

Nice work UBD
Old May 19th 2005, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You should really start in N move to 1 or L then into 2 then D

Always use 1 (0-15KPH)or L at very low speeds or coming down or going up very steep grade, 2 or S for for moderately steep grade and slowish speeds (15-40 KPH)

Use D for speeds over 40 KPH
I've been driving automatics for 30 years, and always start in D and stay in D. Only ever use 1 or 2 if it's a VERY steep hill, and I haven't found one in Australia like that yet

Old May 19th 2005, 11:16 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've been driving automatics for 30 years, and always start in D and stay in D. Only ever use 1 or 2 if it's a VERY steep hill, and I haven't found one in Australia like that yet
Dead right, have found 1 & 2 useful for getting off wet grass in an auto. getting bogged on a lawn can make you look like a bit of a tosser
Old May 19th 2005, 11:27 am
ABCDiamond

It made me wonder if I have been driving it the correct way, so I did a quick search, and found a very detailed page titled "The Use of Automatic Gearboxes" by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents at: http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi..._gearboxes.htm

It starts of with "Automatic gearboxes and modern derivatives are becoming more common but some drivers are uncertain as how to make the best use of them". So it is not an unusual question to ask

Old May 19th 2005, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

I have a UBD street map of my new home, Melbourne. However, I understand that 'everyone' uses the Melways map.
Sydney Morning Herlad Column 8 reports on a reader who uses the 1940 edition of Gregorys on the basis that if the address isn't in that edition, it's not worth going there.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

First, thanks for the responses.

Second, thanks for not picking me up on the atrocious spelling in my first post of this thread.

Neil
Old May 19th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It made me wonder if I have been driving it the correct way, so I did a quick search, and found a very detailed page titled "The Use of Automatic Gearboxes" by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents at: http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advi..._gearboxes.htm

It starts of with "Automatic gearboxes and modern derivatives are becoming more common but some drivers are uncertain as how to make the best use of them". So it is not an unusual question to ask
A good link ABC
I have to confess I usually use D. I used D to get up and down "Arthurs seat" at Mornington no problem.
The only time I came upstuck in uk using D. was going round a bend on a country lane in the snow, I did a slow motion skid into a bush! I learnt afterwards I should have moved into 1or 2 whilest it was snowing.(my excuse was that it was only just after buying/ driving an automatic in Uk -I hadn't come across snow for 6 yrs!)

Neil everyone seems to use Melways as a reference in Melbourne. From estate agents to your childs school when telling you how to get to the class picnic or sports event. And of course Bordy and Co usually give the BE meet up location as a Melways ref
try this as a download for the your wife :http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...inginVicRR.pdf
for the Highway code. I might be wrong but think you can buy it from book shops too.
Old May 19th 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helinuk
A good link ABC
I have to confess I usually use D. I used D to get up and down "Arthurs seat" at Mornington no problem.
The only time I came upstuck in uk using D. was going round a bend on a country lane in the snow, I did a slow motion skid into a bush! I learnt afterwards I should have moved into 1or 2 whilest it was snowing.(my excuse was that it was only just after buying/ driving an automatic in Uk -I hadn't come across snow for 6 yrs!)

Neil everyone seems to use Melways as a reference in Melbourne. From estate agents to your childs school when telling you how to get to the class picnic or sports event. And of course Bordy and Co usually give the BE meet up location as a Melways ref
try this as a download for the your wife :http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...inginVicRR.pdf
for the Highway code. I might be wrong but think you can buy it from book shops too.
Excellent, thanks.

You know, when we met last October (?), one just knew that you'd figure a way out of getting to Oz, even though you didn't seem to know at the time how you'd do it. Everything OK? Son doing okay at college?
Old May 19th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, thanks.

You know, when we met last October (?), one just knew that you'd figure a way out of getting to Oz, even though you didn't seem to know at the time how you'd do it. Everything OK? Son doing okay at college?
Hi N eil and wife
will send a pm don't want to bore everyone on BE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.