British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Stupid Question: Bedding etc While Wating for Container (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/stupid-question-bedding-etc-while-wating-container-599293/)

Dorutland Mar 23rd 2009 8:05 am

Stupid Question: Bedding etc While Wating for Container

Hi All,

Could I ask if anyone bought items like towels and bedding out in Oz whilst waiting for container to arrive or if they brought a small selection with them when they came over.

Thanks

steve`o Mar 23rd 2009 8:10 am

Re: Stupid Question: Bedding etc While Wating for Container

Originally Posted by Dorutland (Post 7408971)
Hi All,

Could I ask if anyone bought items like towels and bedding out in Oz whilst waiting for container to arrive or if they brought a small selection with them when they came over.

Thanks

another option could be to buy some when you arrive saving all the hassle of filling your cases with towels etc ;)

Dorutland Mar 23rd 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 7408981)
another option could be to buy some when you arrive saving all the hassle of filling your cases with towels etc ;)

Which is my solution but SWMBO is keen to cut costs!!

steve`o Mar 23rd 2009 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Dorutland (Post 7409013)
Which is my solution but SWMBO is keen to cut costs!!

go on whats a SWMBO?

Dorutland Mar 23rd 2009 8:31 am

She Who Must Be Obeyed

John Mortimer, Rumpole of the Bailey

steve`o Mar 23rd 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorutland (Post 7409040)
She Who Must Be Obeyed

John Mortimer, Rumpole of the Bailey

lol i`ll remember that one

ok then tell SWMBO shes a looney :rofl:

i bet you wont get laid for ages :rofl::rofl:
sorry couldnt resist pissed as a pissed thing in pissed week :rofl::rofl:

Dorutland Mar 23rd 2009 10:14 am

Can I wait 'til the medical insurance is in place before telling her? Seriously though, thanks for that!

Cheers

thribble Mar 23rd 2009 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Dorutland (Post 7409420)
Can I wait 'til the medical insurance is in place before telling her? Seriously though, thanks for that!

Cheers

Towels from Coles or Target etc cheap as chips. Fill your cases with something better and more important to you :)

steve`o Mar 23rd 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by thribble (Post 7409450)
Towels from Coles or Target etc cheap as chips. Fill your cases with something better and more important to you :)

like money ;)

thribble Mar 23rd 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 7409474)
like money ;)

I'd love a case of money!!

MarkMC Mar 23rd 2009 11:27 am

We had to buy bedding towels and alot of other stuff when we arrived as our container had not been shipped and took over 20 weeks to arrive. They are not that expensive here, we got most of our stuff from K Mart and Big W.

Dorutland Mar 23rd 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for those responses. I have persuaded SWMBO she is a "looney" and the cast should come off in about 6 weeks.

Cheers

PoppetUK Mar 23rd 2009 1:18 pm

Hi All,

Thanks

We moved straight into an unfurnished rental and bought some things cheap and others more expensive that we planned on using more long term.

Towels were cheap as chips. You can never have too many beach and pool towels especially with guests. Be aware that some bed linen / bed sizes are different to UK.

Good luck.

ACE Mar 24th 2009 3:43 am

Hi All,

Thanks

Buy a garden furniture set with nice crushions as it can double for eating and sleeping and then when your own things arrive you can use it outside. As others have said Kmart etc bedding and towels are really cheap and you can pick up a cheap crockery/cuttlery set, a kettle 1 pan for boiling and an electric frying pan which is great for cooking most things and you will still use it when your things arrive. You might also want to consider a little portable tv and a small (beer?) fridge.

When we came over we spent our first month at Mandurah Quays holiday resort and did all of the above when we moved into our long term rental. It was like camping without really roughing it and it worked really well.

ACE

sr71 Mar 24th 2009 4:28 am

It's also worth looking in Myer for towels and bedding (particularly Duvet covers and sheets, duvets themselves are cheaper at KMart or Target)

We have bought loads of very good quality towels, many of the Egyptian cotton, for $10-$15 and they have included many brand names such as Sheridan, Country Road, Esprit, Driglo etc

Also bought a couple of Sheridan duvet covers that were $279 for $99.