Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stupid question about flying and excess baggage - sorry ..

Stupid question about flying and excess baggage - sorry ..

Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:02 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Stupid question about flying and excess baggage - sorry ..

Hi BE

Firstly can I apologise for the stupid question

I've only flown twice before (last time over ten years ago) and therefore I'm not sure about the process for overweight luggage. We're flying with Malaysia Airlines to Brisbane on 10 February and we've been advised by the airline that the max weight is 20kg. Two of our cases are definitely over this weight and I just wanted to know how excess baggage works. ie do you pay the excess at each airport - in our case it would be Teesside, Heathrow, Kuala Lumpur then Brisbane or do we just pay the once?

Once again sorry for the naive question

Ali X
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:11 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid question about flying and excess baggage - sorry ..

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi BE

Firstly can I apologise for the stupid question

I've only flown twice before (last time over ten years ago) and therefore I'm not sure about the process for overweight luggage. We're flying with Malaysia Airlines to Brisbane on 10 February and we've been advised by the airline that the max weight is 20kg. Two of our cases are definitely over this weight and I just wanted to know how excess baggage works. ie do you pay the excess at each airport - in our case it would be Teesside, Heathrow, Kuala Lumpur then Brisbane or do we just pay the once?

Once again sorry for the naive question

Ali X

are you guys using this flight to validate your visa`s????

if so you should be able to claim additional baggae allowance of 20k each making a total of 40k each
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:14 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Yep we're validating visas. I've wrote to Malaysia asking about increased luggage weight but they've never responded. I rang the London reservations number but they said 20kg. I've seen people on the forum say they managed to increase to 30kg with Malaysia, but I don't know where to get written authority to use at the airport.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Yep we're validating visas. I've wrote to Malaysia asking about increased luggage weight but they've never responded. I rang the London reservations number but they said 20kg. I've seen people on the forum say they managed to increase to 30kg with Malaysia, but I don't know where to get written authority to use at the airport.
we came out with sinapore airlines and we emailed them asking the same and they replied with the immigrants limit of 40k which we took to the airport with us luckily we didnt need it as the checking desk looked at our visa`s and gave us the 40k allowance without any problems

i suggest that you email them asking for the same

o and put another post up with a header malaysian air and allowancesetc to see if anyone else has been able to sort it

best of luck guys

steve
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:28 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

If you DO need to send something Excess baggage -it's easy, we've just done it to Brisbane. You could get a quote first from one of the removal companies (I did but lost my ref in the packing panic). You can get your bag picked up for an additional £25 outside the M25 prior to flying - or take it to the airport and send it yourself. Just turn up at Heathrow with your bags and go to the Excess baggage section (near lost property). Get your bag weighed, fill in some forms and give them lots of money (I think ours was about £115 incl insurance to send 30 kg) It goes independently to Brisbane and then you go to a place near the airport (ours was in Eagle Farm) to pick up. We paid another £40 ish for customs clearance. Pack well and send a strong case (ours was a bit bashed when we picked it up). Add another half hour at check in to do this. also have a list of contents 'cos you have to put this on the form. They find the flight - ours took about 10 days to get here.
We had no choice 'cos we flew QANTAS on a 457 VISA and you get a crummy 20kg each (just enough for my daughter's make up collection). Better to negotiate an improved allowance if you fly with a proper airline tho'
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline B
If you DO need to send something Excess baggage -it's easy, we've just done it to Brisbane. You could get a quote first from one of the removal companies (I did but lost my ref in the packing panic). You can get your bag picked up for an additional £25 outside the M25 prior to flying - or take it to the airport and send it yourself. Just turn up at Heathrow with your bags and go to the Excess baggage section (near lost property). Get your bag weighed, fill in some forms and give them lots of money (I think ours was about £115 incl insurance to send 30 kg) It goes independently to Brisbane and then you go to a place near the airport (ours was in Eagle Farm) to pick up. We paid another £40 ish for customs clearance. Pack well and send a strong case (ours was a bit bashed when we picked it up). Add another half hour at check in to do this. also have a list of contents 'cos you have to put this on the form. They find the flight - ours took about 10 days to get here.
We had no choice 'cos we flew QANTAS on a 457 VISA and you get a crummy 20kg each (just enough for my daughter's make up collection). Better to negotiate an improved allowance if you fly with a proper airline tho'
Very few airlines now do the extra allowance - in recent months it has only been Singapore and Emirates.
If you have to pay for excess luggage, you pay once, when its checked in, and thats that, it then goes all the way through. Best bet is to use someone like Excess Baggage Co.