Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stupid Question about Australian Newsagents

Stupid Question about Australian Newsagents

Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:12 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stupid Question about Australian Newsagents

With only weeks to go before we depart to Oz (now December 2nd), the Mrs and me were talking about the weird things we remeber about Oz (it's been six years since we were ther), and she remembered the fact that Newagents only sell Papers and Magazines and not Drinks, Chocolate, Ice Creams etc. On reflection, this did my head, coz I like to get a Coke and a paper in the morning.

Is this still the case and why?

Paul.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stupid Question about Australian Newsagents

Originally Posted by diddy
With only weeks to go before we depart to Oz (now December 2nd), the Mrs and me were talking about the weird things we remeber about Oz (it's been six years since we were ther), and she remembered the fact that Newagents only sell Papers and Magazines and not Drinks, Chocolate, Ice Creams etc. On reflection, this did my head, coz I like to get a Coke and a paper in the morning.

Paul.
Most people have to drive more here, distance/climate so the servo (gas station) is more likely to be used than a corner newsagent which seem to be everywhere in the UK. Servo sells all of the above and far more servos than newsagents so just use them.

But I have seen newsagents with drink machines/lollies anyway dont know about chocolate thats usually kept in fridges so it might just be a floor space thing.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

pluma is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Kingscliff ( QLD/NSW boarder ) you can get a coke or a capachino with your paper..........

all the best plum
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:45 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Its called home delivery.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by diddy

Paul.
We have two local newsagents, one has a Westpac Bank Sub-branch, and the other a Heritage Building Society Sub-branch, as well as selling chocolates, sweets (lollies) etc. I am pretty sure they sell drinks aswell. But then, I buy my papers from Woolworths or the Fruit shop, so don't go to the newsagent too often.

Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:03 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen a newsagent that doesn't sell drinks and chocalte etc., even in the smallest 'booth' types.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:22 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Nearly all newsagents sell chocolate. They are usually around the front of the tills. Bottles and cans of soft drinks - yes in a fridge, ice-cream some do some don't . There is not much diff between newsagents here and the newsagents in the UK, depends on the shop. The small newsagents, not so much.

The only diff is they don't sell alcohol in them here. I was surprised when I went back to the UK recently , the local newsagent ( not a food mart, come paper shop) and the PO had an alcohol licensed section ( bottles and cans behind the tills), that's a new one to me, and the PO shop part of it opened till gone 9pm .They didn't have alcohol in the little PO last time I visited the UK. I suppose the village PO's are fighting closures and selling other things now such as alcohol for business.