Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

stuff we miss from the uk

stuff we miss from the uk

Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

AnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really nice

I find that any bread bought in Aussie Safeway lasts at least a week - it's brill!

I do miss the cereals though - for example, Kellogg's "Just Right" just isn't right in Oz - not the same at all. Nor is their Marmite, of course...
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:22 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Lany
frosties....i think they taste too sugary here

and the milk...yuck ! When I first arrived the difference in taste was disgusting but sort of getting used to the pura lite start now
Pura Lite Start: Skimmed milk: that's what I used to feed the pigs after separating off the cream.

Now the shops charge extra for removing the cream from the milk. Marketeering marvel.

Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Actually....after thinking about it for a couple of minutes...i am GAGGING for a pint of OSH.
Our local Supermarket is selling 8 cans of OSH for only £7, what's that, about $16. MMMMMMMMmmm lovely
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

The only thing I really miss is Anglo indian food.

Before I get trashed, I'm fully aware that the UK version of inidan food is rarely authentic and that the term curry in it's current spelling was coined by the British in India.

Sorry got a load of hassle last time I mentioned this.

If anyone has found a good indian restaurant in Perth I'd NEED TO HEAR ABOUT IT.

Other than that

I think the meat tastes better and the fish definitely does although I rarely had fresh fish in the UK

We seem to be well sorted in Coles and Woolies for decent cheese/ham etc.

We don't have a problem with bread, just stick into one of those tupperware things and it keeps fresh for ages. (Nearly PMSL the other night when H got invited to one of those parties, she's more the sit around the BBQ chatting and sinking a few cold
ones type!)

Chocolate and chips are a bit rough but not enough to crave the UK stuff.

Last edited by Nibbs; Feb 20th 2004 at 6:29 am.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:25 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what i miss

My wife miss's eastenders ALOT but i would be happy when i get a bloody good wave for a change, any surfers out there will understand the withdrawl symptons when there is no surf, well i havent. had a good surf yet and it makes me feel ill.aparently its been the longest flat/crapsurf spell here at the mount ever known
well that doesnt help me any!!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:27 am
joem

Originally posted by Megalania
Pura Lite Start: Skimmed milk: that's what I used to feed the pigs after separating off the cream.

But did the kids like it.

joem

Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

sven37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I can't wait to miss everything.....

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hi Sven..no i don't think i did..but i am sure i lost a few as my inbox was full.
Have re-tried PP, hope it worked, don't want you to think I don't bover to reply.....& Thankyou x
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Boots
Yorkshire pudding
Decent bacon
Pork chops that aren't 50% fat
Long summer evenings
Chips drenched in vinegar
Milk that doesn't taste like water
Old Speckled Hen
Cheap bread
Thorntons Viennese Truffles
Clothes from Evans (cos they fitted me!!)
The Sunday Times
Casualty (series starts here in May, can't wait!)
Late nights down the pub gossiping with my mates over good pub food.......
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Pollyana

Thorntons Vienesse are my favourites. Last time I was in the Uk they were selling them in Bar form and it was buy 2 get one free. I dont even remember eating them one after the other
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:01 am
Just Joined

canary is an unknown quantity at this point

Is quorn really not available in Australia.. what am I and my veggie family gonna do?!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:03 am
dazuk

When I was in oz, I missed

British style cuury houses

Proper chip shops that DID NOT fry in lard

Decent vegetaraian foods, especially Linda Mccartney and Quorn

Supermarkets that had a good selection of products.

Nice beer especialy ales like London Pride and Old Speckled Hen

Decent pubs that had atmosphere, good beer and not full of pokies

Watchable TV

British sense of humour, not taking ourselves too seriously and not looking at everything as a competition

cheap drugs

Could go on.

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:06 am
dazuk

Originally posted by canary
Is quorn really not available in Australia.. what am I and my veggie family gonna do?!!
You will find it hard, I have been a vege for 16 years and Oz was a nightmare, no Quorn, no Linda Mcartney products. Lard is present in chips, oven chips, biscuits, doughnuts etc. All you will find in the supermarkets are 1 or 2 brands of vege burgers, sausages and they are crap in taste and pricey. You will have to cook from scratch most of the time and read labels on food products very carefully!!

You have been warned!:lecture:

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:18 am
Badge

Originally posted by dazuk

British sense of humour, not taking ourselves too seriously and not looking at everything as a competition
but surely, as all the senior professionals tell us, there is no competition at all in Australia, everyone is lazy, not professional, there are no opportunities in the cut and thrust of the workplace????!!! Also, if the UKers want that top job surely earning GBP85k +then you have to take yourself very seriously!!! maybe too seriously!

but...there's a hole in my bucket dear lisa, dear lisa..

(just kidding)

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:22 am
Badge

What is qourn, and who is Linda McCartney - I thought she was the wife of Paul???

Badge

Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:23 am
dazuk

Originally posted by badgersmount
but surely, as all the senior professionals tell us, there is no competition at all in Australia, everyone is lazy, not professional, there are no opportunities in the cut and thrust of the workplace????!!! Also, if the UKers want that top job surely earning GBP85k +then you have to take yourself very seriously!!! maybe too seriously!

but...there's a hole in my bucket dear lisa, dear lisa..

(just kidding)

Stop hi jacking the threads, this is a thread where poms can moan about what they miss about the fair mother country.

You obviously miss nowt about the place so bugger off and go wash you ute/play some sport!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.