Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Studying in Australia part time on PR

Studying in Australia part time on PR

Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough
Question Studying in Australia part time on PR

Hi Everyone

Just want to find out. Say we get our STNI visa with hubby being main applicant and I want to study further parttime to get up to par with their accounting qualifications. Will I then pay the international student rates for education at TAFE or University of Technology - or do I pay what all other ozzies pay for further educations, since I am PR? I will be working and then studying parttime or correspondence.

Help or info would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Studying in Australia part time on PR

Originally Posted by dedrei
Hi Everyone

Just want to find out. Say we get our STNI visa with hubby being main applicant and I want to study further parttime to get up to par with their accounting qualifications. Will I then pay the international student rates for education at TAFE or University of Technology - or do I pay what all other ozzies pay for further educations, since I am PR? I will be working and then studying parttime or correspondence.

Help or info would be much appreciated.
HI!

I'm hopefully starting a 4yr BEd next year and I'm also a PR. As far as I am aware, you will pay the 'normal' rates for fees. They are payable upfront, until you have been here 2 years and then you have the option to defer your fees until you are working and they will take it out of your salary. You may also be eligible for Austudy after the 2 year period but it is means tested.

Good luck and happy studying!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steandleigh
HI!

I'm hopefully starting a 4yr BEd next year and I'm also a PR. As far as I am aware, you will pay the 'normal' rates for fees. They are payable upfront, until you have been here 2 years and then you have the option to defer your fees until you are working and they will take it out of your salary. You may also be eligible for Austudy after the 2 year period but it is means tested.

Good luck and happy studying!

Do you have to have citizenship after those first 2yrs or are you eligible under PR?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:55 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Do you have to have citizenship after those first 2yrs or are you eligible under PR?
Citizenship
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seang
Citizenship

Thought as much. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at:

www.centrelink.gov.au

Go to the Austudy bit - it says that to be eligible for Austudy you must be either a Australian citizen OR have permanent residency. read on and it tells you that must must have held PR for 2 yrs.

Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:01 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at:

www.centrelink.gov.au

Go to the Austudy bit - it says that to be eligible for Austudy you must be either a Australian citizen OR have permanent residency. read on and it tells you that must must have held PR for 2 yrs.

Good luck.
Citizenss are eligible to pay back the fees over time, PRs have to pay up front.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:02 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Thought as much. Thanks.
I was referring to the defer option.(just to clear up)

Also for the first two years you are not certain to get the commonwealth supported place. If you dont get one of these you are going to be looking at paying 4 times the cost of the course - upfront.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Have a look at:

www.centrelink.gov.au

Good luck.

Ahhh.. now i'm confused. thanks for that.
I have already got 1yrs worth of my PR out the way so only need another 12mths there to get citizenship. I have every intention of getting it as soon as i can anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Citizenss are eligible to pay back the fees over time, PRs have to pay up front.
I think that's what i said in my first post Perhaps it was unclear.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

dedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the roughdedrei is a jewel in the rough

So to sum it all up. I will pay "normal" fees upfront like the TAFE & College's advertise - not the international rates of $15-$20k. And I pay this upfront.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:22 am
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by dedrei
So to sum it all up. I will pay "normal" fees upfront like the TAFE & College's advertise - not the international rates of $15-$20k. And I pay this upfront.
You wont be paying the international rates thats certain
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:22 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's what i said in my first post Perhaps it was unclear.

Sorry, it was clear didn't realise it was you. I thought the later post with red in it was a different poster just adding to the confusion.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Sorry, it was clear didn't realise it was you. I thought the later post with red in it was a different poster just adding to the confusion.
No worries. Thought I WAS confusing matters for a moment there!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
I was referring to the defer option.(just to clear up)

Also for the first two years you are not certain to get the commonwealth supported place. If you dont get one of these you are going to be looking at paying 4 times the cost of the course - upfront.
Just to add to the confusion..........Commonwealth supported places are not available for all courses for citizens either.......meaning you pay lots lots more to do the course.

Rudi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.