British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Study in Uk or Oz?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/study-uk-oz-774597/)

welsh _lass Oct 14th 2012 3:37 pm

Study in Uk or Oz??

Hi
Looking for some advice... i'm a bit of a boomerang pom ;) Lived in Sydney and got citizenship but got really fed up with renting there and moved back to the Uk to do my house up and sell. Anyway here I am 2 years later and still can't sell the house! So had resigned myself to staying put and applied for uni to study primary teaching. Meanwhile my dh has the opportunity to head back to Sydney with his work in around a years time.

Not sure what to do! I don't want to pass up the chance of a career for myself but I want to be in Sydney for my husband and kids.
I've been in touch with a few uni's and it looks likely i'll meet the academic requirements but no wiser on what the process of applying involves or how competitive it is. No idea if i'd have a chance..
Has anyone here applied for early childhood or primary teaching, is there normally an interview day etc as in the uk? If I apply I need to be in sydney if so. Also are there jobs for newly qualified early childhood/ primary teachers???

Sorry for garbled message!! Head is wrecked thinking of all the options :/
Em

Chortlepuss Oct 15th 2012 12:26 am

Re: Study in Uk or Oz??

I'd have a look at the costs - 3 years residency requirement for UK university to get domestic fees. It may be cheaper to study in Oz if they don't have a similar rule. My daughter is studying to be a nurse - course is relatively cheap in Brisbane - $5K per year, would have thought teaching would be similarly priced. Husband is a secondary science teacher - he has an extremely rare permanent position after a few years of temporary work. I think teaching roles in cities are pretty scarce - but demographics will change so perhaps a primary teacher could advise on opportunities?

welsh _lass Oct 15th 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for your reply :) I get domestic fees both in UK and Australia but it's cheaper in Oz because the fees are much cheaper anyway!

Anyone have experience of applying to uni in NSW? I've contacted the universities but they are less than forthcoming. In UK i've been able to get loads of advice on making a successful application but when i've contacted ACU and Macquarie with questions all i've had in reply is 'apply through UAC'.
Not very helpful!
If anyone has experience they can share on how competitive teaching degrees are and wgat the application process is like that would be fab :)
Ty
Emma

Amazulu Oct 17th 2012 9:13 am

Originally Posted by welsh _lass (Post 10330394)
Hi
Looking for some advice... i'm a bit of a boomerang pom ;) Lived in Sydney and got citizenship but got really fed up with renting there and moved back to the Uk to do my house up and sell. Anyway here I am 2 years later and still can't sell the house! So had resigned myself to staying put and applied for uni to study primary teaching. Meanwhile my dh has the opportunity to head back to Sydney with his work in around a years time.

Not sure what to do! I don't want to pass up the chance of a career for myself but I want to be in Sydney for my husband and kids.
I've been in touch with a few uni's and it looks likely i'll meet the academic requirements but no wiser on what the process of applying involves or how competitive it is. No idea if i'd have a chance..
Has anyone here applied for early childhood or primary teaching, is there normally an interview day etc as in the uk? If I apply I need to be in sydney if so. Also are there jobs for newly qualified early childhood/ primary teachers???

Sorry for garbled message!! Head is wrecked thinking of all the options :/
Em

I would say that students party more in the UK, so that's the place. Drugs and booze are cheaper there too.

Grayling Oct 17th 2012 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10335200)
I would say that students party more in the UK, so that's the place. Drugs and booze are cheaper there too.

Far better universities as well

commonwealth Oct 17th 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 10335279)
Far better universities as well

yeah if you can get into Oxbridge

welsh _lass Oct 17th 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for your v helpful replies :p
Since I'm a 37 year old mum of 2, I don't think I'll be partying much tho!
Nor will I be going to Oxbridge since my main concern is balancing study and family, I need to be local so I can be home to make tea!

If anyone does have experience they can share of applying to uni in NSW and/ or the job market there, that would be fab ;)

Gems Oct 18th 2012 2:17 am

University of New England in NSW is very good for distance learning.
http://www.une.edu.au/courses/

They do several teaching courses.
Lots of mums and mature students.

If you study with them distance learning application is easy online form. Usually have acceptance within a couple of weeks.

Most universities here do teaching distance learning Open Universities also does a good course. practicals usually in your home town.

commonwealth Oct 18th 2012 2:36 am

www.open.edu.au

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 18th 2012 3:08 am

no fees for dip and adv dip in Children's Services.
http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildho...fTAFEfees.aspx

See whether a local uni would offer RPL (recognition of prior learning) for entrance to primary school teaching degree. Go straight to second year with a diploma.

For example, http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/cou...-education.pdf

martin1978 Oct 18th 2012 4:43 am

Work out which country you are going to spend most of your life in after you graduate then study in the other. That way you get "free" uni. Morally its wrong but best to take what you can get whilst its still available.

Chris N Lora Oct 18th 2012 10:36 am

I have just applied for a course with the Charles Sturt University, ok it is for the associate degree of policing so a bit different but it seems an easy process so far.