Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi everyone

Glad some of you are settling in. We did look at Pacific Pines but need to be within 4km of Andrew's preferred school. We are also hoping not to have to buy a car so hopefully we can be reasonably central. We all have bikes (and helmets!!!) so don't mind biking a bit.

We also thought about renting our house out here but with the limited hours, we thought we had better sell and have some money.

Mandy, do you know if there are many jobs for qualified hairdressers around and about? Do you know what sort of salary they are getting? Is there a newspaper that do jobs that I could perhaps find online? Thanks.

Jo
x
Hi,

I take it you know that hairdressers are in demand over here?

Try www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au

Don't have a clue what the pay is like though.

Dunno if it's within the 4 km but Benowa, and Arundle maybe ok, but as i said don't expect too much for the price range!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes, do know that hairdressers are in demand but I have only been doing it for 3.5 years - not enough for TRA. Our only option is to go the student visa route. Lot more money but hopefully for the same result at the end.

Have been looking at Benowa - that is where the school is where we want Andrew to go. Is Arundel within 4kms of Benowa? Haven't looked there.

Thanks again.

JO
x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Thanks for that. Yes, do know that hairdressers are in demand but I have only been doing it for 3.5 years - not enough for TRA. Our only option is to go the student visa route. Lot more money but hopefully for the same result at the end.

Have been looking at Benowa - that is where the school is where we want Andrew to go. Is Arundel within 4kms of Benowa? Haven't looked there.

Thanks again.

JO
x
Hi,

I'm just trying to think offhand of areas round bout Ashmore, my geography is totally crap!! Though I'm a little better than hubbie and he's the one thats at the college!!

The way I see it, goin the student soute is a small sacrafice for a coupla years!! My DD turns 3 at the weekend, n when we say will we go back to Glasgow, she shouts NO NO NO i want to stay in Australia!!! The we rascals totally love it here and are totally thriving!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Ah bless!!! Aren't kids wonderful!!! Love mine to bits even though he is being a pain about this!!!

I'm sure once he's there he will be fine - once he has made new friends etc. Doesn't help that he has a new girlfriend at the moment (you have all this to come in a few years time!!!!)

Going to bed now - have a good day.

JO
xx
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sharon

Lucky devils going so soon. It is my OH's birthday on 13th!!!

We are getting a student visa as we haven't got enough points for PR at the moment. I am a hairdresser but only have 3.5 years experience and need 6 for TRA. Once Paul has been to college for the 2 years, hopefully both of us will have enough points to get PR.

Where are you going to live? What jobs do you do? Does your son know what he wants to do after school yet?

Jo
x
Hi jo, we are in labrador for 4 weeks then we are not sure where we will settle until we get jobs I am a nurse and hubby in sales . Jordsan wants to do workwork/joiner i think !!! at the moment anyway.

sharon
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sharon, Where did you find your rental property so we can explore more avenues!!!

At least your son is looking to do a trade that is in demand - hopefully this will mean a good job at the end of it.

Good luck for your trip. See you on the other side!!!

Jo
x
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon, Where did you find your rental property so we can explore more avenues!!!

At least your son is looking to do a trade that is in demand - hopefully this will mean a good job at the end of it.

Good luck for your trip. See you on the other side!!!

Jo
x
Hi Jo,

Check out rentals on www.realestate.com.au there's holiday rentals or longer term rentals plus you'll be able to source all the local real estate agents too.

Think we booked our inital rental through Raine and Horne, an appartment on Mermaid beach for $450pw, (booked it for 2 weeks and that worked out ideal for us) really didn't look much on the webpage but was ideal, so close to the beach!! Would suggest you do similar, book a 'holiday' rental for 2-3 weeks and get a longer term rental once over here as I think its too hard to get a longterm booked over the net. Also it's just too hard to see what anything is 'really' like on the net.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mandy. Have looked on there before and we are still looking.

It is hard to book anything because we don't know when Andrew's exams are going to finish and when we will fly over. Also, it is school holidays when we are arriving, so prices are going up from what we have seen.

Will keep looking - hopefully have exam dates soon.

Jo
xx