Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Old Dec 25th 2007, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Talking Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Hi

Is anyone starting a course at Gold Coast TAFE in July or in this area?

My OH is starting a bakery/hospitality management course at Ashmore Campus.

I am a hairdresser so will be looking for my 20 hours a week job.

We have a 16 year old son, Andrew, who will be going to school to do A level equivalents.

We currently live in Nottingham.

Hoping to move to Chevron Island area (need to live within 4km from school).

Would love to meet anyone when we get there (hopefully end of June after GCSEs have finished).

Jo, Paul & Andrew
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of
Default Re: Students Starting in July - Gold Coast

Is no-one going in July?????

We'll be very lonely then!!!!!

Hopefully there are more jobs for us to choose from then!!!!

BTW, our son has just dropped a bomb and said he doesn't want to come with us!!! Just got a new girlfriend though! It upset me a lot - he was fine last week, now the new girlfriend is probably dropping hints saying "do you have to go???". Told him yes he does have to come - will be in his best interests in the long run.

Anyone else had this problem??
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

GaznEm is on a distinguished road

HI,
THINK WE,VE SPOKE BEFORE.I START MY COURSE JULY 14TH- BOAT BUILDING ( MARINE CONSTRUCTION). ME AND THE OH ARE GOING OVER IN JUNE.WE,VE ALSO LOOKED AT CHEVRON ISLAND, SEEMS QUITE CENTRAL.
I,VE ALREADY LEFT MY JOB(FIREMAN) SO I CAN START SORTING STUFF OUT. EMMA LEAVES HERS IN MAY.
I,M SURE YOUR SON WILL CHANGE HIS MIND ONCE HE SEE,S WHAT OZ HAS GOT TO OFFER. GIRLFRIENDS COME AND GO AT THAT AGE.

Last edited by GaznEm; Jan 27th 2008 at 10:21 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Getmeouttahere is an unknown quantity at this point

Jo Paul and Andrew,

Im hoping to start a course in TAFE on the GC next year hopefully electrician's course. Hoping to get back in to Oz. In fact my other choices were something to do with hospitality and catering, if the electricians course is long winded. I grew up on Chevron Island as a kid (8 years) Moved around too Burleigh, Miami, Broadbeach, Elanora Haven't returned in many years. Still have fond memories of the place. I used to have PR but lost it due to being a complacent teenager (parents moved back to UK).

I'm having trouble communicating with the TAFEs, theyre very slow in relpying. Did you email them initially or telephone them? May I ask how much your course is costing? If you want to PM me for help or chat on this you are welcome...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GaznEm
HI,
THINK WE,VE SPOKE BEFORE.I START MY COURSE JULY 14TH- BOAT BUILDING ( MARINE CONSTRUCTION). ME AND THE OH ARE GOING OVER IN JUNE.WE,VE ALSO LOOKED AT CHEVRON ISLAND, SEEMS QUITE CENTRAL.
I,VE ALREADY LEFT MY JOB(FIREMAN) SO I CAN START SORTING STUFF OUT. EMMA LEAVES HERS IN MAY.
I,M SURE YOUR SON WILL CHANGE HIS MIND ONCE HE SEE,S WHAT OZ HAS GOT TO OFFER. GIRLFRIENDS COME AND GO AT THAT AGE.
Hi GaznEm

Think we have spoken before - good to hear from you again.

Most of the students seem to have already gone over to start after Christmas. Not many of us left to go now.

Also looked at seqrents for short/long term rentals. There is a difference in quality if you move inland a bit. That's what we found anyway.

We have just been getting quotes from shipping companies and need groupage as we have about half a container. Range from £2400 to £3500 (£3500 was for a full container) plus insurance on top.Agree about the girlfriend and hope he comes round - he seems a bit brighter today anyway!!! Fickle children!!!

Hopefully we can meet up when we all get there. We are aiming for mid to end June (after Andrew has finished his GCSEs).

Originally Posted by Getmeouttahere
Jo Paul and Andrew,

Im hoping to start a course in TAFE on the GC next year hopefully electrician's course. Hoping to get back in to Oz. In fact my other choices were something to do with hospitality and catering, if the electricians course is long winded. I grew up on Chevron Island as a kid (8 years) Moved around too Burleigh, Miami, Broadbeach, Elanora Haven't returned in many years. Still have fond memories of the place. I used to have PR but lost it due to being a complacent teenager (parents moved back to UK).

I'm having trouble communicating with the TAFEs, theyre very slow in relpying. Did you email them initially or telephone them? May I ask how much your course is costing? If you want to PM me for help or chat on this you are welcome...
Is this next year as in 2009 or next school year? Paul is doing bakery - if next year will keep in touch and let you know how he is getting on. 2nd year is hospitality management.

With regard to TAFE, I have emailed and phoned them. Course is costing about £12,000 for the 2 years. Also have to pay about £8000 for Andrew's school for 2 years plus 2 terms.

Thanks for offer of help. Will definitely keep in touch.

Jo
x
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

start my course in jan 09
same as Gaz
just got the coe through.
we are heading out in november so it gives us time to settle in.
c u all in OZ
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shark bait
start my course in jan 09
same as Gaz
just got the coe through.
we are heading out in november so it gives us time to settle in.
c u all in OZ
Hi all,

Over here just now, 8 weeks tomorrow since we landed. Hubbie at Ashmore TAFE studying Cabinet Making.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

[/QUOTE]
Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi GaznEm

Most of the students seem to have already gone over to start after Christmas. Not many of us left to go now.

Also looked at seqrents for short/long term rentals. There is a difference in quality if you move inland a bit. That's what we found anyway.

We have just been getting quotes from shipping companies and need groupage as we have about half a container. Range from £2400 to £3500 (£3500 was for a full container) plus insurance on top.Agree about the girlfriend and hope he comes round - he seems a bit brighter today anyway!!! Fickle children!!!

Hopefully we can meet up when we all get there. We are aiming for mid to end June (after Andrew has finished his GCSEs).
Hi,
yeah looked at seqrents. Theres a couple around chevron and southport what are furnished for about $320, but like you said you can get nice houses further out what are unfurnished for about the same. I,m trying to find a short let a the moment for the first 4-5 weeks on the GC while we settle before my course starts.We are only going to send about 6-8 to eight box,s so not that expensive cos hopefully going to rent house out back in England.

Last edited by GaznEm; Jan 28th 2008 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi all,

Over here just now, 8 weeks tomorrow since we landed. Hubbie at Ashmore TAFE studying Cabinet Making.

Cheers
Mandy
Hi,
How,s the course going, are the other students English and trying to gain PR.
Any look in finding any p/t work yet?
All the best Gaz
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
yeah looked at seqrents. Theres a couple around chevron and southport what are furnished for about $320, but like you said you can get nice houses further out what are unfurnished for about the same. I,m trying to find a short let a the moment for the first 4-5 weeks on the GC while we settle before my course starts.We are only going to send about 6-8 to eight box,s so not that expensive cos hopefully going to rent house out back in England.[/QUOTE]
Hi,

You'll be v surprised by what these places look like for real!! Chevron Island (not seen that much of it so am sure al get corrected) and a lot of Southport are quite run down, especially aroun bot that price range. We wanted to get something for $250 - $300 pw.

We looked at a few, its v competitive trying to get a place too as everyone rents over here!!

We, by total chance and fluke, got a lovely unfurnished in pacific pines for $315 pw. We'r in a complex so don't have anything else to pay ontop, just electric/phone/internet etc.

A little further out than we wanted to be but still only a 20 min drive for hubbie to go to college, we were just hoping to be a bit closer n hubbie was gonna cycle so that i could have the car.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaznEm
Hi,
How,s the course going, are the other students English and trying to gain PR.
Any look in finding any p/t work yet?
All the best Gaz
Hi,

Hubbie really positive bout the course. Students from all over (no aussies), 14 students in his class and all in their late 20's early 30's. all in the same boat too looking for PR. There's loadsa pt work, hubbie doin a free trial today!! Think that could be a good way in depending on what job your after.

We'r looking forward to him catching up with last years internationals to get some feedback!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Getmeouttahere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi,

Hubbie really positive bout the course. Students from all over (no aussies), 14 students in his class and all in their late 20's early 30's. all in the same boat too looking for PR. There's loadsa pt work, hubbie doin a free trial today!! Think that could be a good way in depending on what job your after.

We'r looking forward to him catching up with last years internationals to get some feedback!!

Cheers
Mandy
Wow nice reports..Very encouraging and not feeling so nervous about starting my course next year and maybe finding some work

Good luck Mandy and family
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everyone

Glad some of you are settling in. We did look at Pacific Pines but need to be within 4km of Andrew's preferred school. We are also hoping not to have to buy a car so hopefully we can be reasonably central. We all have bikes (and helmets!!!) so don't mind biking a bit.

We also thought about renting our house out here but with the limited hours, we thought we had better sell and have some money.

Mandy, do you know if there are many jobs for qualified hairdressers around and about? Do you know what sort of salary they are getting? Is there a newspaper that do jobs that I could perhaps find online? Thanks.

Jo
x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdraper
Hi GaznEm

Is this next year as in 2009 or next school year? Paul is doing bakery - if next year will keep in touch and let you know how he is getting on. 2nd year is hospitality management.

With regard to TAFE, I have emailed and phoned them. Course is costing about £12,000 for the 2 years. Also have to pay about £8000 for Andrew's school for 2 years plus 2 terms.

Thanks for offer of help. Will definitely keep in touch.

Jo
x
Hi jo,
we leave on 13th feb arrive gold coast 15th . my son is 17 and is looking to go to school or tafe.

what visa have you got ? we have PR .

Tafe is costing you a bit and so is school is this because you havent got PR.?

will keep in touch

Sharon x
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sharon45
Hi jo,
we leave on 13th feb arrive gold coast 15th . my son is 17 and is looking to go to school or tafe.

what visa have you got ? we have PR .

Tafe is costing you a bit and so is school is this because you havent got PR.?

will keep in touch

Sharon x
Hi Sharon

Lucky devils going so soon. It is my OH's birthday on 13th!!!

We are getting a student visa as we haven't got enough points for PR at the moment. I am a hairdresser but only have 3.5 years experience and need 6 for TRA. Once Paul has been to college for the 2 years, hopefully both of us will have enough points to get PR.

Where are you going to live? What jobs do you do? Does your son know what he wants to do after school yet?

Jo
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.