Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

student visas , paying for schooling!

student visas , paying for schooling!

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future
Default student visas , paying for schooling!

I think paying for the course is exceptable but expensive.
But the rip off price for schooling is crazy .
This next 2-3 years could cost me over £21,000
I personally think this is unfair & the price of student visa schooling should be made lower.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visas , paying for schooling!

I think the whole idea of this visa is you bring money into the country. Otherwise why would they limit partners to working 20 hours a week? They want your money and the more of it the better.

Different states charge different amounts, might be worth looking into?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:59 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shark bait
I personally think this is unfair & the price of student visa schooling should be made lower.
Dear SB,

Education systems are expensive to run and although Article 13 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights suggests that education should be free to all, I think Australia has taken the view that for temporary visa holders it is free, you just have to send the kids home. They wouldn't dare do this to permanent visa holders by the way.

If you could find a plausible infringement of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights I'd be delighted to prepare a communication under the first optional protocol to that covenant.

Both of the Covenants are summarised here: http://www.eycb.coe.int/Compass/en/pdf/6_4.pdf .

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Dear SB,

Education systems are expensive to run and although Article 13 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights suggests that education should be free to all, I think Australia has taken the view that for temporary visa holders it is free, you just have to send the kids home. They wouldn't dare do this to permanent visa holders by the way.

If you could find a plausible infringement of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights I'd be delighted to prepare a communication under the first optional protocol to that covenant.

Both of the Covenants are summarised here: http://www.eycb.coe.int/Compass/en/pdf/6_4.pdf .

Cheers,

George Lombard
Article 13's premise is 'everyone' and 'all' . . .are all the exeptions (i.e. temporary visa) in the full article?

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:43 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyp
Article 13's premise is 'everyone' and 'all' . . .are all the exeptions (i.e. temporary visa) in the full article?

Cheers
Mandy
Hi Mandy,

Here's Article 13:

Article 13

1. The States Parties to the present Covenant recognise the right of everyone to education. They agree that education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and the sense of its dignity, and shall strengthen the respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. They further agree that education shall enable all persons to participate effectively in a free society, promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations and all racial, ethnic or religious groups, and further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.

2. The States Parties to the present Covenant recognise that, with a view to achieving the full realisation of this right:

a) Primary education shall be compulsory and available free to all;

b) Secondary education in its different forms, including technical and vocational secondary education, shall be made generally available and accessible to all by every appropriate means, and in particular by the progressive introduction of free education;

c) Higher education shall be made equally accessible to all, on the basis of capacity, by every appropriate means, and in particular by the progressive introduction of free education;

d) Fundamental education shall be encouraged or intensified as far as possible for those persons who have not received or completed the whole period of their primary education;

e) The development of a system of schools at all levels shall be actively pursued, an adequate fellowship system shall be established, and the material conditions of teaching staff shall be continuously improved.

3. The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to have respect for the liberty of parents and, when applicable, legal guardians to choose for their children schools, other than those established by the public authorities, which conform to such minimum educational standards as may be laid down or approved by the State and to ensure the religious and moral education of their children in conformity with their own convictions.

4. No part of this article shall be construed so as to interfere with the liberty of individuals and bodies to establish and direct educational institutions, subject always to the observance of the principles set forth in paragraph 1 of this article and to the requirement that the education given in such institutions shall conform to such minimum standards as may be laid down by the State.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shark bait
Could be worse, you could be an Australian Student in the UK...

International students will be required to pay the full cost of their tuition.
Fees for 2009/10 have yet to be agreed but will not be less than the current year’s fees (£11,820).
Pricing may not be much different, but the weather is

Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that once the course has ended, and you apply for PR you will be on a Bridging Visa until PR comes through - could be another 6 months when you will still have to pay the fees.

If you look at it from the Government's point of view, you want to come here and they have given you a visa that will get you in - Student Visa. Why should they do you the favour of discounted school fees when they don't know if you will pass your course or whether you will stay in the country afterwards? Tax payers pay for the education, no offence but I don't want to sub your kids as well when you're not a Permanent Resident.

Just playing Devils Advocate. Not having a go at you or anyone on a Student Visa, I think you have it very hard and good luck to you if you get through to PR.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:30 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
could be another 6 months when you will still have to pay the fees.
Try 9 months! ... :curse:
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Don't students now have to do a year of work experience after their course has finished too? or can they do the hours at the same time as studying?

Or am I totally wrong and thinking of something else
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup basically Australia is selling a product - training. It is up to you if you decide to buy. The student visa isnt really seen by the government as a pathway into the country although they are happy to consider you as a permanent resident if you pass the course and, at the end of the day, are in an occupation in need but they are under no obligation to do so. In the same way, you are under no obligation to buy the product they are selling you at the price they are selling it at. Bear in mind that the bulk of students are single people sent here by their parents to get a Western education.

Personally I have much more difficulty with the fact that the student visa route is flogged to people who are desperate to get here as the outcomes of that sort of visa are going to be perilous to say the least.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Don't students now have to do a year of work experience after their course has finished too? or can they do the hours at the same time as studying?

Or am I totally wrong and thinking of something else
Nope you're right, and yes that will be another year as a 'temp' resident.

Temp resident = $$$$ ...
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

No you don't HAVE to work another year unless you are short of points. Even then you could do the english test to get extra points while on the extra visa, so wouldn't probably take a year. Or you can you get extra for having worked a year. You can do the 900 hours at the same time as studying.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
No you don't HAVE to work another year unless you are short of points. Even then you could do the english test to get extra points while on the extra visa, so wouldn't probably take a year. Or you can you get extra for having worked a year. You can do the 900 hours at the same time as studying.

I see, thanks for that
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I knew it was way longer than it should be, just lost track, sorry So on a two year course, you could be temp for up to four years. That's a long time to be paying school fees.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
NOT trying to pick faults, but I think the 'years work exp' will only qualify if it's qualified work exp, which you won't get till you're qualified.

Could very well be wrong tho, and obv down to the individual to know the score! I WAS on top of it all when I was studying, but it's all changed now and to be honest am just glad I got in before it all did as it don't look any easier!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.