Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

student visa to PR

Wikiposts

student visa to PR

Old May 24th 2005, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visa to PR

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
I will be doing a 2 year course at TAFE as I only need a 40 point occupation to apply for PR as my sister will be sponsoring us and she lives in a designated area and so we don't have to pass the points test. The backup plan if the rules change will be to study for a further 2 years to top my qualification up to an accounting degree and apply then (at the moment though plan A will work fine).
As I said before if you need any info just ask.
Tracy
Be aware that rules for designated area sponsored are going to change in mid 2006. Whether the 882 visa will be affected is unclear at this stage, but the 139 is going to be replaced with a temporary visa like SIR.

Jeremy
Old May 24th 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Be aware that rules for designated area sponsored are going to change in mid 2006. Whether the 882 visa will be affected is unclear at this stage, but the 139 is going to be replaced with a temporary visa like SIR.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Yes, I am aware of the changes to the sponsored designated area visa which take affect next year. When the change was announced my immediate thought was will the change also be to the 882 visa. I understand as yet that there are no changes but I have made a plan B and even a plan C just incase.
I realise that this route is "risky" especially with a family in tow, but we know what we are letting ourselves into. We are in a fortunate position to be able to fund ourselves for quite some time until we get PR.
When I finish my course I will want to use an agent to apply for PR, do you deal with many student PR cases?

Tracy
Old May 24th 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by noregrets
Thanks tracy

I am very confused re the enrolement procedure for the kids QLD educational say I need my visa before enroling them and DIMIA say they need to be enroled and all fees paid before I apply I dont want to enrol her before we have sussed out the area !

OMG Im worried now, we are not taking nearly that much money 40k GBP and thats after Ive sold a kidney! although we are not planning on buying a property obviously!!

Hubby is a painter and decorator and he is worried that know one will employ for just 20 hours any advice?

thanks george

We had to pay the fees for the first 2 terms to QLD education prior to obtaining our student visa.
At that stage you do not need to nominate a school. Once you arrive and have found a school, contact QLD education give them your contact address and the school you have chosen and the school will receive its share of your fees.
Be prepared to go through the whole story at each school you visit because none of the schools we viewed knew about the procedures for international students.

PM me if you want further info.

Lots of work about at the moment (Brisbane) for painters for commercial work, not sure about domestic. I think you will find work even for 20 hours, there is a severe shortage of skilled labour. Seems to be very good money for paper hanging as not many people can do it.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by noregrets
Thanks tracy

I am very confused re the enrolement procedure for the kids QLD educational say I need my visa before enroling them and DIMIA say they need to be enroled and all fees paid before I apply I dont want to enrol her before we have sussed out the area !

OMG Im worried now, we are not taking nearly that much money 40k GBP and thats after Ive sold a kidney! although we are not planning on buying a property obviously!!

Hubby is a painter and decorator and he is worried that know one will employ for just 20 hours any advice?

thanks george
Hi George,

In Melbourne the school enrolment is done thru a central body called the International Students Program Unit. They advised me to find a school I liked then they would deal with the enrolment on my behalf. I know that things are done differently in other states but maybe there is a similar body in QLD.
Your daughter will be classed as a dependent of an overseas student and therefore should pay reduced fees, not sure what they are in QLD but in Victoria they are $5813 pa for primary and $7783 pa for secondary.
I will do some research on QLD and see what I can find, but at the end of the day you won't get your student visa unless your daughter is enrolled in school.
With regards to casual work for your hubby I wouldn't worry, his trade is a good one for part time/casual work, I think it is the more "professional" people that have trouble finding part time/casual work. My hubby is a lorry driver and there is plenty of work for him.
Will send a PM later with more news.

Tracy