Reload this Page >

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Wikiposts

Student Visa Please Help!!!

Old Jan 24th 2004, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

mercedes1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Sarah,

Yes, the college I want to go to have said that they would accept me as I am !!! So, no, I wouldn't have to send them proof!

ARe you going with your daughter ?
Where is she off to ?
She must be excited - it is a wonderful place to go to.

I still need to know if I can go to a regional TAFE !!!???

Merc
Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:27 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mercedes1
Thanks for that Sarah,

Yes, the college I want to go to have said that they would accept me as I am !!! So, no, I wouldn't have to send them proof!

ARe you going with your daughter ?
Where is she off to ?
She must be excited - it is a wonderful place to go to.

I still need to know if I can go to a regional TAFE !!!???

Merc
Hi Merc

Yes daughter is very excited, she is going to Notre Dame uni in Fremantle.

No we are not going with her but should be out in oz (Adelaide) by october if all goes well. I'm waiting for my skills assessment to come through from the oz nursing council.

Sorry still cant help you about TAFE though

Sarah
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Hi Sarah,

I've just heard from an agent in Oz that I can do courses at the TAFE in Geraldton but the ones she's listed are different to the ones the lecturer actually taking the courses said they are doing !!!
She also quoted much higher fees!

Who do I trust and who do I go to, to find out for sure what I can do ????????????

aaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!

suggestions please on a postcard !!

Merc
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by mercedes1 She also quoted much higher fees!

Who do I trust and who do I go to, to find out for sure what I can do ????????????
When I saw your post, I suspected the fees were wrong. TAFE fees for residents are much cheaper than University fees for residents. Fees for both for international students are much higher.

Staff in these institutions still think in terms of their domestic students. The only reliable information must be through the International Offices of your target institution. The "normal" staff don't have a clue.

If the price is too good to be true; it isn't.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Banksia,

Yes, I guess I'd agree and thats fine but I'd still rather book direct with the people who know the actual courses and get my eCOE from them.

I'm going to email Geraldton direct giving them my whole situation and asking them to check with Head Office that all is OK for me to get a visa with !

Surely that should be safe enough ?

merc
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:58 am
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mercedes,

I think you need to look at the booklet associated with your level of course.

I have to pay for my childrens schooling ($3600each per year), as far as I am aware all international students have to.

I had to pay some of my fees and a year of the kids fees to get our certificates of enrolment. I also had to pay for overseas student health cover, my uni sorted this out for me but it is through medibank private. All before I applied for the visa.

I had to prove I had funds to cover our living expenses(using the immigrations scale), cost of the course, flights back, school fees for the kids, and health cover.

We also had to have medicals, but no police checks.

Good luck,

Tracey
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by mercedes1 Yes, I guess I'd agree and thats fine but I'd still rather book direct with the people who know the actual courses and get my eCOE from them.

I'm going to email Geraldton direct giving them my whole situation and asking them to check with Head Office that all is OK for me to get a visa with !

Surely that should be safe enough ?
It should be but TAFEs are comparatively new to the concept of international students and are more geographically disbursed. Thousands of international students come from Asia to learn bean counting; few want to be plumbers; they can learn that at home.

The normal starting point is through the international office of your chosen institution.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 9:48 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mercedes1
Hi Sarah,

I've just heard from an agent in Oz that I can do courses at the TAFE in Geraldton but the ones she's listed are different to the ones the lecturer actually taking the courses said they are doing !!!
She also quoted much higher fees!

aaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!

suggestions please on a postcard !!

Merc

Hi Merc
The fees for my daughter are $13000 per year. However if you are able to get a PR visa from that point we have been advised but will not hold breath the fee structure changes to oz res and then reduces. Our hope is that buy the time the next instalment is due will have PR visa and have no more to pay for the year.

Try and contact Geraldton TAFE direct and ask them to send you details as an overseas student. I know you said yesterday that you had problems tracking them down but maybe you can get the info you need through the uni they are connected with they should have an international dept that would be able to advise you. As far as costs go we have found the uni costs are correct but the proof of finance that you send to the high commision for the student visa may change!!

Sarah
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kentcoast As far as costs go we have found the uni costs are correct but the proof of finance that you send to the high commision for the student visa may change!!
I wonder if London is seeing dollars and saying pounds. There must surely be accurate data at www.immi.gov.au.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Mercedes,

My course starts in Brisbane on 22/3/04, I have my medicals tomorrow and hope everything goes ok, we have been told that London issue the sudent visa within 4 weeks, fingers crossed. I am training to be a hairdresser, 2 year course which is so different from what i do here as i have been a customs officer for 15 years, but i thought if everything goes wrong after the 2 years then i can go anywhere in the world, everyone needs a hairdresser and i can work flexible hours as i have 2 kids. We had to get a certificate of enrolment from my course provider who is recognised (be careful as you won't get your visa if they are not recognised). I also had to get a certificate of enrolment for my 6 year old daughter to prove we can get her into a school one we arrive, a years is $4000, also private medical insurace at $1248.00 per year for family cover, my college is arranging this.

We are hoping to go and my husband is going to apply for the skilled offshore as he has enough points, and hopefully we will get our PR, if not i will apply once my 2 year course is up and hope for the best. At least getting a student visa is a start, but an expensive one, I will use all my savings but at least i get a new life for my family.

If you need any more info just let me know

Hope this helps

Lisa
Old Jan 25th 2004, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lisa,

That info is brilliant as I have similar things to sort out as you
like schooling and healthcare.

I now know that I have to sort out a COE for my son at school too . that helps. Now I can ask around to see where he should go!

I have asked the college to check their 'international status' and for what help they can give me.
I am also looping round and round the websites finding all sorts of bits of info.

Are you having your medical check before you send in your application form , or did they tell you to do it?

Changing to be a hairdresser - now that sounds interesting.
Where are you doing that and what sort of hours is the course?

It'll all work out - don't worry !!!

Tracey - I seem to be missing the booklet. Where will I find one? and an actual application form for the students visa ? Are they on the imi site ?

Thanks all.

Merc

Merc
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Merc,

If you go to Immi.gov.au and pick studying in Australia, you will see every bit of info you need from forms to booklets and registered courses, it tells you everything you can think of.

I start my course in the Gold Coast, Brisbane, its a school just for hairdressing and is 2 years full time 9 till 5, with all the school holidays off. I got in touch with Queensland Education who sent me all the forms for my daughters Certificate of Enrolment, wherever you are planning to stay in Australia will have there own education department, try checking it on the net, thats all i did, they were very helpful, also you should check with your course provider when you get one as they deal with international stidents all the time i bet, so they will keep you right. Once you get over to Oz you can apply for the right to work which lets you and your spouse work 20 hours per week, but he could always try and get employment sponsorship, or apply for the skilled offshore. At least you will be in Australia which make it easier to find out what you need to do to get PR.

Any questions that pop up along the way just ask as i have been in the position you are at present.

Lisa
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Hi Lisa,

I've been round in circles on the imi site and I must be thick. I cannot find anything that looks like a visa application form.
Everything just seems to say - you will need etc etc.

Which button do I press ?

signed

thicko merc
Old Jan 26th 2004, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Merc,

Look at this http://www.immi.gov.au/study/applying/index.htm, this tells you all the things about studying, also look at www.studyinaustralia.gov.au which is helpful

Lisa
Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Merc,

Go to the London immigration site, it explains things much easier, its www.australia.org.uk it tells you all the forms and everything you need to know and that is where you send your application once complete.

Lisa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.