Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student visa and one-way flight

Student visa and one-way flight

Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

styloboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student visa and one-way flight

First of all thank you for all the invaluable information you have all provided me with over the past few months. It certainly helped making everything a bit easier. :-)

I have a short question that has probably been asked before, however I could not find it using the search function.
My 3 year student visa has been granted today, however I have been informed there is no need to get a visa label placed in my passport. However I will be traveling to Sydney on February 11th with Etihad and Virgin Australia on a one-way flight, and according to the information I found I have to show proof that I am allowed to stay in Australia as well as proof that I can arrive in Australia on a one-way flight.

I was wondering if someone knows if a grant letter will be sufficient to prove that this is the case or if I will need a visa label placed in my passport.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student visa and one-way flight

I didn't need to show anything. I had a copy of the email just incase though.

I just wanted to point out that the chance of you getting pr at the end of your course is very slim. If you are coming for three years of something different and to learn new skills, wonderful, but please don't come to try to stay forever as even now it is very hard for most. In three years time they are likely to have closed all doors for students.

Good luck
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, that would make it a bit easier since the closest visa-issuing embassy is in Berlin.

For the moment I just plan to study in Australia for tree years and have contemplated PR. However for now it will just be a way to see how much I still like Australia after three years and if I do still like it and I want to live there I will try to get PR however for the moment I don't have a clue what I am going to do in three years.

And how do you mean it has been getting tougher for students specifically?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by styloboy
Thanks for your reply, that would make it a bit easier since the closest visa-issuing embassy is in Berlin.

For the moment I just plan to study in Australia for tree years and have contemplated PR. However for now it will just be a way to see how much I still like Australia after three years and if I do still like it and I want to live there I will try to get PR however for the moment I don't have a clue what I am going to do in three years.

And how do you mean it has been getting tougher for students specifically?
What route to PR do you believe you will be able to pursue after three years of studying and if you like Australia? I believe PB is pointing out that PR is a very difficult thing to achieve after being a student.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What route to PR do you believe you will be able to pursue after three years of studying and if you like Australia? I believe PB is pointing out that PR is a very difficult thing to achieve after being a student.
I am not planning to try and get PR after three years, as I will still need to finish my Masters however in the long run after completing my masters in Psychology and having work-experience I would like to live in Australia. However what I meant is that I prefer to see if I would like to live in Australia permanently by studying here first. And if this is the case the long term plan would be to try and get PR after I have finished my studies.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by styloboy
First of all thank you for all the invaluable information you have all provided me with over the past few months. It certainly helped making everything a bit easier. :-)

I have a short question that has probably been asked before, however I could not find it using the search function.
My 3 year student visa has been granted today, however I have been informed there is no need to get a visa label placed in my passport. However I will be traveling to Sydney on February 11th with Etihad and Virgin Australia on a one-way flight, and according to the information I found I have to show proof that I am allowed to stay in Australia as well as proof that I can arrive in Australia on a one-way flight.

I was wondering if someone knows if a grant letter will be sufficient to prove that this is the case or if I will need a visa label placed in my passport.
Your visa will show up electronically in the DIAC computer system when your passport is scanned. A label can make life easier once you are here as its physical proof to show officials that you are here legally, but its not essential these days. You will be fine to travel without it, but take the grant letter as a backup
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration have over the last couple of years been making it harder and harder for people to pr after studying in oz. This only going to get worse.
Unfortunately many people have come here to study, decided they love Australia, but then there are no permanent visa options for them. They then have no choice but to leave. This is VERY hard if you love your life here.

It could be that after studying you have to go back to your own country, either for good, or to get a few years work experience before being able to apply. Just know that you might not have a choice. As long as you come here with that in mind, and are not shocked if you have to leave at the end of your course you will be fine.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Immigration have over the last couple of years been making it harder and harder for people to pr after studying in oz. This only going to get worse.
Unfortunately many people have come here to study, decided they love Australia, but then there are no permanent visa options for them. They then have no choice but to leave. This is VERY hard if you love your life here.

It could be that after studying you have to go back to your own country, either for good, or to get a few years work experience before being able to apply. Just know that you might not have a choice. As long as you come here with that in mind, and are not shocked if you have to leave at the end of your course you will be fine.
I know that the reality is that I will probably have to leave Australia in 3 years because I can afford to be a fee-paying student for 3 years but any longer would simply be impossible. I wish it was easier but I know getting a PR right after I have finished my studies will be very tough.