Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Visa - Hairdressing

Student Visa - Hairdressing

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Kookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Visa - Hairdressing

Is there anyone out there who has taken the study route to PR? I realise it's risky but we have no chance of getting in with the experience we currently have. I've been looking at hairdressing courses in Brisbane. Would love to hear from anyone who has taken this route. What are the positives and negatives? Where did you study?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:47 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa - Hairdressing

Originally Posted by Kookie
Is there anyone out there who has taken the study route to PR? I realise it's risky but we have no chance of getting in with the experience we currently have. I've been looking at hairdressing courses in Brisbane. Would love to hear from anyone who has taken this route. What are the positives and negatives? Where did you study?

Thanks
There is one poster on here who springs to mind. They have changed their username a few times but if you search for Paul(paul2005, paul2006) and hairdressing you should be able to find their posts.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
There is one poster on here who springs to mind. They have changed their username a few times but if you search for Paul(paul2005, paul2006) and hairdressing you should be able to find their posts.
New user name is paul&nic
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:53 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
New user name is paul&nic
Hurrah for WendyC Hurrah
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Hurrah for WendyC Hurrah

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Kookie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help, Seang & WendyC
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Thanks
I hear they are callin on Vidal! ...

Myself and partner are currently doin a Cert III in Hairdressing on The Gold Coast with a view (hope) of obtaining PR from it. The school has a main campus in Brisbane and I'm guessing you've been looking at their website.

I'll PM you tomorrow as it's gone Midnight here and I'm up in less than 6 hours for school and just having a quick look thru BE before I run to bed.

All I'll say now is over 50% of my class are doing it for PR! ...

Not cheap (the whole process, but the course is compared to many), NO guarantee's, but like you unfortunately myself and partner have nothing under our belts to get us in ...

We're taking the biggest gamble of our lives as we sold the house, we've shipped house contents over, took teenagers out of a good school in the UK (altho BOTH 100% willingly), and even bought the dog with us!

All on a gamble we'll get to stay when the visa runs out in 2008!

As I say the biggest gamble of our lives, but what will we lose? ...... money! ... which isn't everything! ... but will still have 2 years in Oz and we'll be happy with that as a consolation prize if we fail ...

Daughter says she'll marry an Aussie if we do! ... ... as she and her brother simply love it here! ... we ALL do! ...

Nighty night.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:34 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Myself and partner are currently doin a Cert III in Hairdressing on The Gold Coast with a view (hope) of obtaining PR from it. The school has a main campus in Brisbane and I'm guessing you've been looking at their website.

As I say the biggest gamble of our lives, but what will we lose? ...... money! ... which isn't everything! ... but will still have 2 years in Oz and we'll be happy with that as a consolation prize if we fail ...
Great attitude mate - really hope it all works out for you.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Paul&Nic]I hear they are callin on Vidal! ...

I'll PM you tomorrow as it's gone Midnight here and I'm up in less than 6 hours for school and just having a quick look thru BE before I run to bed.

Not cheap (the whole process, but the course is compared to many), NO guarantee's, but like you unfortunately myself and partner have nothing under our belts to get us in ...

We're taking the biggest gamble of our lives as we sold the house, we've shipped house contents over, took teenagers out of a good school in the UK (altho BOTH 100% willingly), and even bought the dog with us!

Daughter says she'll marry an Aussie if we do! ... ... as she and her brother simply love it here! ... we ALL do! ...

Just out of interest and forgive me if i'm intruding but do you both work the requisite 20hrs per week to make money? And do you have to pay for your childrens education or is it free?

I only ask because i would like to do the same thing but i'm thinking that 20hrs per week work would not cover living (rent etc) and kids education.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:02 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Thanks

I'm on a three year student visa but am doing a nursing degree. It's costing us a fortune, but we love it here and would NEVER go back. I will apply for residency in my third year

Good luck
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:15 pm
Banned

connaust is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Student Visa - Hairdressing

Hi there,

There are various places to do hairdressing and costs depends upon location or city and school e.g. state TAFE for haridressing is expensive, many private TAFE/VET colleges are bit cheaper. Plenty of work round... cheers Andrew
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

daisy678 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
I hear they are callin on Vidal! ...

Nighty night.
Did you say that you are both doing the course??
I hope not you only need one person to get a qualification. (cert iii)
Hope you are getting salon experience as well because you can then apply for PR after 12 months
For more info call me please use private message facility through the site rather than posting phone numbers

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 1st 2006 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by daisy678
Hope you are getting salon experience as well because you can then apply for PR after 12 months
For more info call me (John 0404 000 361)
Hi John,

Have you done this course then, how easy was it to find employment for the 20hrs per week and what was it you done?

Chris96
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by daisy678
For more info call me (John 0404 000 361)
Yeah both of us are doing the course because of age points. If hairdressing was to fall off the MODL we won't make 120 points, but with 5 'spouse points' we'll make 110 and go for SIR visa, better than returning to UK! ...

12 months of study isn't enough to satisfy DIMIA so are doing 2 'academic' years (16 months).