British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Student Visa - 'Good Character' Query? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/student-visa-good-character-query-279724/)

Paul2004 Jan 24th 2005 9:06 pm

Student Visa - 'Good Character' Query?

Firstly sorry as I've posted this question before, along with prob loads of ppl, but I just can't get confirmation!!

I would like to study in Australia in 2006 and the DIMIA website says you have to be of 'good character'. Now I have a criminal record for a few juvenile convictions, nothing major at all, but have not been in any trouble for over 15 years.

I have read that serious things like murder, long imprisonment and stuff is what is REALLY a prob, or a no no, but I just can't get it confirmed if I'll be ok :( I have a house that will be going on the market soon to make this possible so don't want to go getting to far ahead if the criminal record is going to stop me.

I have emailed DIMIA but never got a reply. I have phoned the helpline number between 9am - 11am but couldn't get thru to a human being.

Can anybody advise maybe a website that might help other than DIMIA itself, or something else I can try? If I have to visit Australia House in the Strand then so be it, but I work nights and getting there for between 9am - 11am (I think same times for general queries, not sure tho) will be awkward, altho not impossible if it comes to that.

Any help anybody?

Thanks

Pollyana Jan 24th 2005 9:32 pm

Re: Student Visa - 'Good Character' Query?

If you have not been in trouble for more than 15 years, and your convictions were juvenile ones, then they almost certainly will not stop you getting a visa.
Just be honest about them, write a letter explaining the details of the offences, so you show yourself in as good a light as possible - mitigating circumstances such as "parents divorce sent me off the rails a bit".
Also you could consider getting character references from people you know, in good positions in society - such as JPs, police, head teachers. People who can say what your character is like now, and how much you have reformed.
If you want to pm me with details of the offences I can tell you how serious they are perceived to be in the great scheme of life, but what I can say in any case is - there are people on the forum with adult convictions for drug offences, and for violence. And they have got their visas with no problem.

Pollyana

(police records checker)

Paul2004 Jan 24th 2005 9:49 pm

Re: Student Visa - 'Good Character' Query?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have not been in trouble for more than 15 years, and your convictions were juvenile ones, then they almost certainly will not stop you getting a visa.
Just be honest about them, write a letter explaining the details of the offences, so you show yourself in as good a light as possible - mitigating circumstances such as "parents divorce sent me off the rails a bit".
Also you could consider getting character references from people you know, in good positions in society - such as JPs, police, head teachers. People who can say what your character is like now, and how much you have reformed.
If you want to pm me with details of the offences I can tell you how serious they are perceived to be in the great scheme of life, but what I can say in any case is - there are people on the forum with adult convictions for drug offences, and for violence. And they have got their visas with no problem.

Pollyana

(police records checker)

PM sent, thanks