British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   STUDENT VISA-GOLD COAST (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/student-visa-gold-coast-485825/)

GaznEm Oct 7th 2007 12:47 pm

STUDENT VISA-GOLD COAST

Hi,

We are new to the site and just thought we'd see if there is anybody out there moving to Oz next year on a student visa and planning a similar route into Oz.:D

I've been a fireman for 11 years and O/H is a Licensed Conveyancer. Even though are jobs are classsed as skilled in England, they are not on the SOL and so this is why we're going down the student visa route.:(

I've applied and been accepted on the Marine Craft Construction Course at Gold Coast TAFE starting in July 08. I've just received my COE.

I'll be interested to know whether anybody else out there is starting this course or has started it. I originally applied for the Jan course, but this was fully subscribed, so they're doing a course in July aswell.:thumbsup:

We hope to fly out to Oz at the end of May to give us time to find a rental property and settle in a bit before the course starts. We've just got to get the student visa business out of the way first!! :ohmy:

Does anybody know of any one month lets whilst we are looking for a long term rental?

What's the best places around the Gold Coast to live close to the campus? We've stayed in Surfers before now, but think it might be a bit manic to live there full time.

Would love to hear from anyone in a similar position and feel free to ask about our application so far too.

Gaz n Em :thumbup:

jdraper Dec 25th 2007 7:25 am

Re: STUDENT VISA-GOLD COAST

Hi

Welcome to the site (belatedly!!) - not been on much lately.

We are off to Gold Coast too - my OH is starting a course at Ashmore campus in July (bakery/hospitality management).

We are hoping to move to Chevron Island area. We have to live within 4kms of our son's preferred school (he is 16 but because of visa has to go to school till 18 - although he would have done A levels anyway).

We are in Nottingham at the moment - where are you?

Hope to hear from you.

chris and farideh Dec 25th 2007 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jdraper (Post 5703577)
Hi

Welcome to the site (belatedly!!) - not been on much lately.

We are off to Gold Coast too - my OH is starting a course at Ashmore campus in July (bakery/hospitality management).

We are hoping to move to Chevron Island area. We have to live within 4kms of our son's preferred school (he is 16 but because of visa has to go to school till 18 - although he would have done A levels anyway).

We are in Nottingham at the moment - where are you?

Hope to hear from you.

We dont live too far away from cheveron Island, my son will be doing his year 12, in Benowa High school, which high school will your son be attending.

jdraper Dec 26th 2007 7:48 am

My son will also (hopefully) be going to Benowa. He has to have an interview when we get there but fingers crossed he will be in year 12 too!!!

What are you both doing for jobs?

shark bait Dec 26th 2007 8:39 am

hi
we are going in november 08 , starting the same course as gaznem, starts in jan 09 .The course has now been moved to coomera inc the work ex.
Im going back out there at easter to check out areas & schools for 6&8 year olds ,
we want to rent on a quite part on the coast but very nr the beaches cause im into my kitesurfing ,but also must be a close commute to coomera.
We really like burliegh or maimi area but now that the course is in coomera, what would the commute be??
any other areas anyone can suggest??

chris and farideh Dec 26th 2007 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jdraper (Post 5705104)
My son will also (hopefully) be going to Benowa. He has to have an interview when we get there but fingers crossed he will be in year 12 too!!!

What are you both doing for jobs?

When are arriving you to the GC if you dont mind me asking?

GaznEm Dec 26th 2007 12:56 pm

HI SHARK,
JUST NOTICED YOUR NOW STARTING THE MARINE COURSE IN JAN 09. HOW COME YOUR NO LONGER STARTING IN JULY 08(THATS THE COURSE I.M STARTING ON)
CHEERS GAZ:rofl:

shark bait Dec 26th 2007 8:26 pm

Hi gaz
the course was full , so had to transfer to the jan 09, which suits us better job & time wise
we've just moved into rented ,so 11 months to go!!
where are u thinking of living now the course is based in coomera?

jdraper Dec 27th 2007 7:36 am

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5705267)
When are arriving you to the GC if you dont mind me asking?

Hi

We will hopefully be arriving at the end of June. Andrew is doing his GCSEs in May/June so just depends on when they finish. Paul's course starts on 7 July, so need to be there before then. Looking to rent in Chevron area so we are in middle of school/college/beach.

Where are you living?

GaznEm Dec 27th 2007 9:02 am

HI,
We hav'nt decided where to live yet, were just going to hopefully holiday let for a month before the course starts(14th july) then find somewhere for 6 months.
I,ve got one more week left as a fireman before i leave, it'll give me time before we go to sort things out-shipping,letting our house back here.Emma,s still going to work till May though:thumbsup:

Hi jdraper,
We live in Wilmslow, Cheshire.Even though my course is based at ashmore i will be doing most of the study at the Gold Coast Marina. Are you still in the legal industry?Like we,ve mentioned before Emma is a Conveyancer-she might look for work in that sector.

P.S soz for the spalling and grimmer Emma usually writes.:curse:

chris and farideh Dec 27th 2007 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jdraper (Post 5707883)
Hi

We will hopefully be arriving at the end of June. Andrew is doing his GCSEs in May/June so just depends on when they finish. Paul's course starts on 7 July, so need to be there before then. Looking to rent in Chevron area so we are in middle of school/college/beach.

Where are you living?

Hi we live about 200 meters away from The SouthPort school, which is not too far from Bundle & Cheveron Island.
I imagine your son would be doing year 11, next year I'm almost 100% sure the school wont put him into year 12, as it did happened to us, we were 6 weeks into the school year & they refuse to put our son into year 12.
Have you looked at any rental in the area yet, Benowa school is about 10 minutes drive from us, but if he took the bus it would take him 45 mins to get there, as the bus goes half way around the world. :D
My son walked it once he said it too him 1 hour, maybe your OH need to get here before you guys, it took us a month for us to find the right rental but there was 5 of us, so we were looking for a 4 bedroom, it might easier for you guys as you are only be looking for 2 or 3 bedroom.

jdraper Dec 28th 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by GaznEm (Post 5708108)
HI,
We hav'nt decided where to live yet, were just going to hopefully holiday let for a month before the course starts(14th july) then find somewhere for 6 months.
I,ve got one more week left as a fireman before i leave, it'll give me time before we go to sort things out-shipping,letting our house back here.Emma,s still going to work till May though:thumbsup:

Hi jdraper,
We live in Wilmslow, Cheshire.Even though my course is based at ashmore i will be doing most of the study at the Gold Coast Marina. Are you still in the legal industry?Like we,ve mentioned before Emma is a Conveyancer-she might look for work in that sector.

P.S soz for the spalling and grimmer Emma usually writes.:curse:

Hi

I was in the legal industry but left 3 years ago to do hairdressing. If I can't find work as a hairdresser, I wouldn't mind going back to an office if it pays the bills and it's only 20 hours a week!!!

Originally Posted by chris and farideh (Post 5708845)
Hi we live about 200 meters away from The SouthPort school, which is not too far from Bundle & Cheveron Island.
I imagine your son would be doing year 11, next year I'm almost 100% sure the school wont put him into year 12, as it did happened to us, we were 6 weeks into the school year & they refuse to put our son into year 12.
Have you looked at any rental in the area yet, Benowa school is about 10 minutes drive from us, but if he took the bus it would take him 45 mins to get there, as the bus goes half way around the world. :D
My son walked it once he said it too him 1 hour, maybe your OH need to get here before you guys, it took us a month for us to find the right rental but there was 5 of us, so we were looking for a 4 bedroom, it might easier for you guys as you are only be looking for 2 or 3 bedroom.

Maybe Paul will need to go earlier if necessary but depends what accommodation we can find on internet.

Andrew walks to school at the minute (about 1-1/2 miles) so 4km shouldn't be a problem for him and he also has a bike.

If he has to go back a year, I think he should be OK as it will only be for 6 months and then he can get to know people and catch up any work he may have missed, to help him do his last 2 years.