Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student visa and baby question

Student visa and baby question

Old Oct 1st 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough
Default Student visa and baby question

Does anyone know what the implications are if my wife fell pregnant while we are in Oz on student visas?

Thanks
Old Oct 1st 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Student visa and baby question

Originally Posted by eeksy
Does anyone know what the implications are if my wife fell pregnant while we are in Oz on student visas?

Thanks
The implicaiton of your wife falling pregnant is that you are to be a father once the gestation period (usually about 36 weeks for humans) is complete. It also further implies that you are a fertile man after all. (There could be other implied inuendos but they are better suited if the thread was in Barbie!)

Okay, jokes apart,

Financially, you want to make sure that your insurance covers all the costs associated with the childbirth. I'm not sure if the OSHC does that (my recollection is, it does not) and the expenses can be pretty high (again not speaking from any personal experience whatsoever but just making an educated guess).

Implications Re. Immigration Status / Visa - The newborn child will need to be registered with the relevant authority in your state. The child's birth will also need to be registered with your country's Embassy and organise for a child passport. The child will not be an Australian Citizen.

I'm thinking the child will also have to have a visa issued in his/her name which will be some derivative of a student dependent visa. Though I'm not entirely sure how urgently this might need to be done post childbirth. Also depending on your country of citizenship, further documentation might be required while obtaining this visa (funds to support the child, etc etc).

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there'll be someone in this forum who's been through this (rare as it might be), who'll come along and give an insight soon.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 2:50 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Think as a dependent the baby would be granted dependent work rights, possibly a bit young though.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ColonialCousin
Implications Re. Immigration Status / Visa - The newborn child will need to be registered with the relevant authority in your state. The child's birth will also need to be registered with your country's Embassy and organise for a child passport. The child will not be an Australian Citizen.

I'm thinking the child will also have to have a visa issued in his/her name which will be some derivative of a student dependent visa. Though I'm not entirely sure how urgently this might need to be done post childbirth. Also depending on your country of citizenship, further documentation might be required while obtaining this visa (funds to support the child, etc etc).
Child is automatically granted same visa as parents.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

You are entitled to medicare on a student visa. . just check out what the expenses would be though. For private insurances. . not sure how long before falling pregnant you need to have the insurance policy.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyp
You are entitled to medicare on a student visa.
Overseas student health cover is necessary, even if so.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 2nd 2009 at 5:03 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It is indeed JAJ, I think it was just being pointed out that we are entitled to medicare as someone had said they did not think the insurance covered pregnancy.

I actually think I checked mine when I first got for here (well you never know) and it said after a waiting period you were covered. But I could be wrong.