Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

student or skilled migration ?

student or skilled migration ?

Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:02 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Question student or skilled migration ?

Hi,
I am having difficulty getting a skilled visa due to recent work experience within the sector i have my qualifications. Could i enrole on a university course and get in that way ??

Any advice would be appreciated......
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: student or skilled migration ?

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
Hi,
I am having difficulty getting a skilled visa due to recent work experience within the sector i have my qualifications. Could i enrole on a university course and get in that way ??

Any advice would be appreciated......
Hi

You can try, but if your looking for PR then a big risk as well as costly!

After saying that, I'm gonna give it a try :scared:

To be able to apply for PR after studies, you need to make the points, get a positive assessment from the relevant assessing body (if needed), obtain a minimum of a Cert III qualification, and study for a min of 2 yrs.

Along the way you will need to pay for private healthcare, school fee's for any children you bring under your Visa, and allsorts of other stuff!

Can be done tho, but as I say risky.

Changes to DIMIA's rules while you study could very easily send you back to where you originated from after your 2 yr study :scared:

It's my ONLY option tho, and the house goes on the market within the next month. If it sells for the right price, we go!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:24 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Hi

You can try, but if your looking for PR then a big risk as well as costly!

After saying that, I'm gonna give it a try :scared:

To be able to apply for PR after studies, you need to make the points, get a positive assessment from the relevant assessing body (if needed), obtain a minimum of a Cert III qualification, and study for a min of 2 yrs.

Along the way you will need to pay for private healthcare, school fee's for any children you bring under your Visa, and allsorts of other stuff!

Can be done tho, but as I say risky.

Changes to DIMIA's rules while you study could very easily send you back to where you originated from after your 2 yr study :scared:

It's my ONLY option tho, and the house goes on the market within the next month. If it sells for the right price, we go!

Braver than me ,never realised it was that tough, i'll send the mrs to uni , i have two little uns so not feeling that brave or optimistic. Thanks for the advice, any other advice would be welcome....Thanks for the inout though...
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Braver than me ,never realised it was that tough, i'll send the mrs to uni , i have two little uns so not feeling that brave or optimistic. Thanks for the advice, any other advice would be welcome....Thanks for the inout though...
Yeah afraid so I hear many people try this route to PR but have to return after cos they've either miscalculated, or simply something changes with criteria that they simply cannot supply!

I'm taking 2 too, altho bordering on 'Big uns'! ...lol

School fee's alone for them for the duration will be £12K, then there's the course cost £5K, renting somewhere for the duration £££££'s!!, and you can only work 20 hours per week on your visa too!

Sooooo, lots of savings is a must, and acceptance that it simply might not work is something you have to be prepaired for!

Wish me luck! ...lol
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:19 pm
Born to be wild....

Yeah afraid so I hear many people try this route to PR but have to return after cos they've either miscalculated, or simply something changes with criteria that they simply cannot supply!

I'm taking 2 too, altho bordering on 'Big uns'! ...lol

School fee's alone for them for the duration will be £12K, then there's the course cost £5K, renting somewhere for the duration £££££'s!!, and you can only work 20 hours per week on your visa too!

Sooooo, lots of savings is a must, and acceptance that it simply might not work is something you have to be prepaired for!

Wish me luck! ...lol
Jim without being to pesamistic i don't think luck alone will get you through, maybe more than luck is needed, still if you have another half get them out to work should help the readies role in.....

May luck be with you my friend... and maybe some hard work ....all the best..
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Jim without being to pesamistic i don't think luck alone will get you through, maybe more than luck is needed, still if you have another half get them out to work should help the readies role in.....

May luck be with you my friend... and maybe some hard work ....all the best..
Yes very true on the luck front.

The short version is we have researched it a lot, know pretty much where we stand, and what is wanted from me, and have a 'little' leway in the points dept (if something was to go up). I'm confident in the course I am going for (Motor Merchanic) as altho never worked in this field, I have ripped engines down to nothing so know a fair bit. Mechanic is currently on the MODL, but this isn't being banked on as there is never any guarantee how long something stays on there, BUT if it was to, it would help

We have money tied up in the house which goes on the market soon and as I say if it sells, we go! Both myself and partner will be looking for part-time work once we arrive, but if the worst of the worst was to happen and we simply couldn't find any!! we DO have enough funds to get us through the two years from house sale profitts.

I'm lucky in the fact that ALL four of us are REALLY up for Oz, going there in May for a reccie type / holiday.

Taking mutters too!

At the end of the day I have no other option. I tried with previous skills but failed the TRA because of training / apprentiship, cannot go back and do that again!

Fingers crossed then, not good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:51 pm
Born to be wild....

[QUOTE=Jim2004]Yes very true on the luck front.

The short version is we have researched it a lot, know pretty much where we stand, and what is wanted from me, and have a 'little' leway in the points dept (if something was to go up). I'm confident in the course I am going for (Motor Merchanic) as altho never worked in this field, I have ripped engines down to nothing so know a fair bit. Mechanic is currently on the MODL, but this isn't being banked on as there is never any guarantee how long something stays on there, BUT if it was to, it would help

We have money tied up in the house which goes on the market soon and as I say if it sells, we go! Both myself and partner will be looking for part-time work once we arrive, but if the worst of the worst was to happen and we simply couldn't find any!! we DO have enough funds to get us through the two years from house sale profitts.

Me just like you a fully qualified mechanic, but i have no recent work expirience. i am working in automotive manufacturing now, so not really stripping down egines and the like, more engineering, but have no papers in this sector. I have heard i should try the TRA assesment and go from there, i have heard it's tough.....I have enough cash to see me through the two years from the sale of my house, however i have been told to take all the equity outof my house that i can , then rent it , calculate how much rent you can get then rent it out , via an agent. re mortage upto the amount of rent you can get so the mortage is being paid. THis way if it doesn't work out you down have to return to the UK with nothing, That could be really tough, no house, mortage , job etc, I would seriously consider renting out , ifyou stay in OZ then you could sell up or have a nice retirement fund whilst your getting someone else to pay your mortage, give it a though,

Nasty coming back to nowt.......do your maths ands see how much equity you can take out with you.,...
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very true on the luck front.

One thing of which you need to be aware of is that as far as I know most onshore students will require 900 hours work experience to get a TRA assessment with effect from 1 July 2005.

Jeremy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Nasty coming back to nowt.......do your maths ands see how much equity you can take out with you.,...
Yeah we've thought hard about this one, but at the same time gonna go for it. We've been landlords before and it was a pain! ok, I know you get an agency to do all that in your absence, but hmmmmm.

To be honest I'll sound even crazier when I say we've spent the last 5 years renovating the current house to make it the 'ideal' (in our eyes!) house, but now emigrating! ...lol ........ nuts! but at the end of the day wanting to go to Oz is more than just the house!

We'll go with fingers crossed and spend a lot of the time praying I think.

Maybe I am TOO optimistic, but I reckon the glass is 51% full anyway
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
One thing of which you need to be aware of is that as far as I know most onshore students will require 900 hours work experience to get a TRA assessment with effect from 1 July 2005.

Jeremy
You know I have to admit Jeremy my heart skips a beat when I see your name in one of my posts. I worry because you know so much and that this could be bad news coming! (oh and that is a compliment by the way )

Thankfully! for once I am aware of this. I posted these findings on Expat a few months ago after the TRA telling me exactly this.

At first I thought I was going to be ok as the college assured me there was industry placement that will cover this, BUt went on to also learn freom the TRA that this CANNOT be part of my studies!

I have 2 years to obtain a min of 900 hours work experience and will be seeking this as soon as the plane lands. I will sweep floors for an hour a day somewhere if it gets me my PR!

Oh and a new trade of course
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

At first I thought I was going to be ok as the college assured me there was industry placement that will cover this, BUt went on to also learn freom the TRA that this CANNOT be part of my studies!

I have 2 years to obtain a min of 900 hours work experience and will be seeking this as soon as the plane lands. I will sweep floors for an hour a day somewhere if it gets me my PR!
Unrelated (or unskilled) work experience is unlikely to count - check that in detail - and you need to abide by your visa conditions which will impose work restrictions.

As a fall-back you ought to be checking whether your trade qualification will be recognised in the UK should you have to return.

Jeremy
Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unrelated (or unskilled) work experience is unlikely to count - check that in detail - and you need to abide by your visa conditions which will impose work restrictions.

As a fall-back you ought to be checking whether your trade qualification will be recognised in the UK should you have to return.

Jeremy
Agreed, but I was refering to finding work in a Garage in Oz. Altho I am not at all qualified, I could do services and stuff now before my course so would be of use to someone, albeit for peanut wages.

It's all about the PR!!

If we are forced to return to the UK, I have a licence to drive a cab in London, so that front we are covered. I can be back to work the day we land

I really don't want to go there, but thanks for the advice, as always
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:28 pm
Born to be wild....

Agreed, but I was refering to finding work in a Garage in Oz. Altho I am not at all qualified, I could do services and stuff now before my course so would be of use to someone, albeit for peanut wages.

It's all about the PR!!

If we are forced to return to the UK, I have a licence to drive a cab in London, so that front we are covered. I can be back to work the day we land

I really don't want to go there, but thanks for the advice, as always
Sounds like you have done your homework and you have a contigency plan in place, let's hope it works out weel for you and me both....
Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Sounds like you have done your homework and you have a contigency plan in place, let's hope it works out weel for you and me both....
Well I've tried to research as much as possible, through gov websites and this forum, and there's sooooooooo much still to learn, but I spose aint gonna get away from the fact it IS risky.

No other option tho so will give it a shot!

I spose the worse case scenario is we have to spend 2 years on the Gold Coast! ................... terrible! ....lol

Best of luck to you tho, whatever you decide