Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Loans Muppets!

Student Loans Muppets!

Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Student Loans Muppets!

I've had with Student Loans, my SIL recently forwarded three months of post and I have 4 or 5 snotty letters from them despite deferring already this year and advising them of my new address twice.
Do they employ muppets?

Honestly I am so wound up by them, and have just written a snotty letter back which I will post today.
I have always sought to pay my debts and keep people informed of my address etc. so I am really irritated.
Here's an extract of my letter (personal details ommitted for your peruasal)

To Whom It May Concern,
Firstly I would like to point out how incredibly irritating it is that you haven't amended my address details and so I am not receiving post until weeks after it has been sent to my sister-in-laws address in the UK. This is despite a long and expensive phone call to one of your staff, plus a written letter with a deferment application. Please do not send any further correspondence to ...as I do not have any say in how quickly it is forwarded to me. Current waits are 3 months.
You then have the gall to tell me that my account is in arrears and make threats to charge me to recover the overdue sum.
Please amend my address immediately. I am also due to move in about 6 weeks time and will inform you of my new address soon. I hope this isn't too difficult for your incompetent employees to comprehend.
To reiterate what I put in my deferment application, I am not currently working and am totally supported by my husband as I am looking after our children at home.
I am insulted that I have received a bunch of threatening letters despite my intentions to provide the necessary information.
I am forwarding a deferment application form to the Australian Family Assistance Office and you will have to wait for them to process it, then for me to forward it back to you. Hopefully this will tie in with my house move and I can then send you my new address.
Yours incredibly irritatedly...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loans Muppets!

Larry!!! Now tear the letter up and rewrite it!!!

Don't play into their hands by seeming upset. Write the letter again, print it off a few times and post them all. Bit like junk mail, they'll soon get cheesed off that way and will have to rectify the matter!!!

Deep breaths!!!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Larissa
I've had with Student Loans, my SIL recently forwarded three months of post and I have 4 or 5 snotty letters from them despite deferring already this year and advising them of my new address twice.
Do they employ muppets?

Honestly I am so wound up by them, and have just written a snotty letter back which I will post today.
I have always sought to pay my debts and keep people informed of my address etc. so I am really irritated.
Here's an extract of my letter (personal details ommitted for your peruasal)

To Whom It May Concern,
Firstly I would like to point out how incredibly irritating it is that you haven't amended my address details and so I am not receiving post until weeks after it has been sent to my sister-in-laws address in the UK. This is despite a long and expensive phone call to one of your staff, plus a written letter with a deferment application. Please do not send any further correspondence to ...as I do not have any say in how quickly it is forwarded to me. Current waits are 3 months.
You then have the gall to tell me that my account is in arrears and make threats to charge me to recover the overdue sum.
Please amend my address immediately. I am also due to move in about 6 weeks time and will inform you of my new address soon. I hope this isn't too difficult for your incompetent employees to comprehend.
To reiterate what I put in my deferment application, I am not currently working and am totally supported by my husband as I am looking after our children at home.
I am insulted that I have received a bunch of threatening letters despite my intentions to provide the necessary information.
I am forwarding a deferment application form to the Australian Family Assistance Office and you will have to wait for them to process it, then for me to forward it back to you. Hopefully this will tie in with my house move and I can then send you my new address.
Yours incredibly irritatedly...
They are a bunch of mucking funts. I have been through what you are going through and it can take ages to sort out. I only notify them by fax or letter so I have a copy of what I have requested. I follow up with phone calls to ensure the changes have been made. I had about a year and a half of hassling. I will be glad to be rid of the debt and dealing with the idiots.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:22 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larissa,

Can you put my details in there and send copies for me too?! They're all useless people - know just how frustrating it is ...

GG
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:30 am

LittleL is on a distinguished road

Glad I am not the only one. I got a very snotty letter telling me I had constantly ignored their correspondance ( not true) and that they were charging me a heap of fees etc as a result. When in actual fact, I faxed and then sent the information they wanted over 2.5months ago, have informed them of my address change etc etc. This letter I got on Thurs last week(28th Jul?) had been dated the 17th MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today however I get a nice letter telling me that everything is in order etc and I am deferred for another year. I tell ya...you just can't get good help these days!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I am feeling a bit better now as I have posted it... I made sure it was registered and paid an extra 2 bucks more so that they have to send me a little card back to say they have received it. (So it's a bit late to change Stan, you are probably right tho'!).
Take care (grrr still!)
Larissa
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:24 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
Thanks guys, I am feeling a bit better now as I have posted it... I made sure it was registered and paid an extra 2 bucks more so that they have to send me a little card back to say they have received it. (So it's a bit late to change Stan, you are probably right tho'!).
Take care (grrr still!)
Larissa

nice one larissa!!

....I wouldnt have sent it registered though,,,wouldve let them pay the postage....

SLC are about as competent as the working family tax credit people!!!

sue
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

wild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura aboutwild-star has a spectacular aura about

How long can you generally defer payment?

I deferred it for one year when i was on a WHV
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:57 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wild-star
How long can you generally defer payment?

I deferred it for one year when i was on a WHV

you can defer it for as long as you are earning under the threshold.....its about £15000 i think.....

sue
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
you can defer it for as long as you are earning under the threshold.....its about £15000 i think.....

sue
For the new style loans it is about that. For the old style repayment loans it is about 19000 but once over the repayments are higher although we could borrow a lot less on the old loans.

In Australia HECS is paid via the tax system. If you leave the country the ex student legitimately avoids paying HECS. Both UK student loan types have to be paid off when earning over the thresholds wherever the ex student resides in the world.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Take a deep breath, calm down and simply recite to yourself (as we all do in my family) "Just remember, you ARE in Australia."

Incompetence is a way of life here. "No worries, mate". :scared:
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THEGREATIDIOT
Take a deep breath, calm down and simply recite to yourself (as we all do in my family) "Just remember, you ARE in Australia."

Incompetence is a way of life here. "No worries, mate". :scared:
Larissa (and everyone else) are referring to Student Loans from the UK......
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nickyc
Larissa (and everyone else) are referring to Student Loans from the UK......
Maybe he means I should be used to it by now lol!
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:24 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

What a pain in the a***! Good luck on sorting everything. I'm so glad that even though it will give us less in the pot, I will be able to pay off loan before I leave the UK. Don't think I could cope with anymore hassle, it's been bad enough in this country with getting address and bank details changed.
Regards
Sarah
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

I understand your frustrations. We wrote to everyone 6 weeks before we left with our new address. We then left stamped addressed envelopes for the people who bought our house to put any mail into to send on. Unfortunately some companies did not take note of the change in address and the new people did not send any post on. Every so often in the post we are getting letters from credit companies stating that they are taking us to court, when we have had no previous bills. Often they only have 0800 phone numbers, so that you can't contact them quickly.

Like you we have always paid everything on time and let everyone know in good time our new address, so it's really frustrating when they take no notice of you.

I'll just get off my hobby horse now and lie down in a darkened room.