Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Student Loans ...

Student Loans ...

Old May 15th 2006, 11:58 am
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future
Angry Student Loans ...

Without wanting to appear tight ... what would happen if I emigrated without paying off the remainder of my student loan?
Would i get hunted down by the Gov. or would they write off the debt (its less than 3k ... the equivalent of shipping my cats out).

Any thoughts?????

Cheers
Old May 15th 2006, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Loans ...

Originally Posted by ljk888
Without wanting to appear tight ... what would happen if I emigrated without paying off the remainder of my student loan?
Would i get hunted down by the Gov. or would they write off the debt (its less than 3k ... the equivalent of shipping my cats out).

Any thoughts?????

Cheers

1. suggest u search all the fora on this website - this issue has come up a few time.
2. dont go to oz. we dont want immoral debt-dodgers.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts?????

Cheers
I phoned up the student loan company and they told me that I should pay it off before I leave or they could give me a different account number to pay it from an overseas account.

My husband spent a while in Aus straight after uni and they did track him down when it was time to start paying.

I did read somewhere that if you are out of the country for over a certain aount of time you become exempt, but I don't know where and I think that was back in my student days, I would say that with all the changes in student loan companies that rule may well have changed now also.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:46 pm
Laura & Nick

ljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant futureljk888 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
1. suggest u search all the fora on this website - this issue has come up a few time.
2. dont go to oz. we dont want immoral debt-dodgers.
I don't want to 'dodge' it, that's why I posted this message - I want to find out where I stand with regards to it, as I can't pay it all off before I leave and have heard that they write it off but didn't know if this was true.
Old May 15th 2006, 1:48 pm
Laura & Nick

Originally Posted by suzimc
I phoned up the student loan company and they told me that I should pay it off before I leave or they could give me a different account number to pay it from an overseas account.

My husband spent a while in Aus straight after uni and they did track him down when it was time to start paying.

I did read somewhere that if you are out of the country for over a certain aount of time you become exempt, but I don't know where and I think that was back in my student days, I would say that with all the changes in student loan companies that rule may well have changed now also.
Thanks for that - thought it might have been too good to be true, oh well!!
Old May 15th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Student Loans ...

Thanks for that - thought it might have been too good to be true, oh well!!
This is the situation -
If you tell them before you go that you are going, they will give you a couple of months to get sorted and to let them know your new address and proof of earnings. You will have to repay the same amount as you would if you were in the UK i.e. X% of your earnings over X. You need to keep a UK account open to make the direct debits to their account. You do not have to pay it all off before you go.

If you bugger off and don't tell them, they will put the interest rate up on your account to quite a lot (at the moment it is just in line with inflation). True, they may never find you, but do you want to come back into the country to visit with a note against your file waiting for you when you go through passport control?!

Plus if you remember back to the days when you took it out, chances are you had to give details of 2 people you knew. This was in case you moved and they couldn't track you down, they could chase those people instead. In my case, I put down my brother and my mum and dad. My brother has since moved but my mum and dad are still at the same address and I don't really fancy them having the bailiffs coming round!

If you are just going to be out of the country and not earning (say on a year's gap year) then you just have to let them know and send them copies of your return plane tickets. They will suspend you having to repay for that period. But if you are emigrating then you will have to keep paying provided you earn over the threshold
Old May 15th 2006, 3:27 pm
Laura & Nick

Originally Posted by sparkley23
This is the situation -
If you tell them before you go that you are going, they will give you a couple of months to get sorted and to let them know your new address and proof of earnings. You will have to repay the same amount as you would if you were in the UK i.e. X% of your earnings over X. You need to keep a UK account open to make the direct debits to their account. You do not have to pay it all off before you go.

If you bugger off and don't tell them, they will put the interest rate up on your account to quite a lot (at the moment it is just in line with inflation). True, they may never find you, but do you want to come back into the country to visit with a note against your file waiting for you when you go through passport control?!

Plus if you remember back to the days when you took it out, chances are you had to give details of 2 people you knew. This was in case you moved and they couldn't track you down, they could chase those people instead. In my case, I put down my brother and my mum and dad. My brother has since moved but my mum and dad are still at the same address and I don't really fancy them having the bailiffs coming round!

If you are just going to be out of the country and not earning (say on a year's gap year) then you just have to let them know and send them copies of your return plane tickets. They will suspend you having to repay for that period. But if you are emigrating then you will have to keep paying provided you earn over the threshold
Thanks for the advice, definately not going to run off without paying... probably not going to be earning above the threshold though for a while so that's okay!
Old May 15th 2006, 3:57 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still defer payments from OZ ???? I do not pay my loan at the moment as i do not earn enough, when we move to Oz i will only be working part time (on a small wage ) .

Annette

This is the situation -

Old May 15th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lee Family
Can you still defer payments from OZ ???? I do not pay my loan at the moment as i do not earn enough, when we move to Oz i will only be working part time (on a small wage ) .

Annette
From what i understand, if you don't earn enough to pay it back you don't have to. They write it off when you're 45 or something if you haven't paid it all off by then! Phone them up and check though, they were really helpful on the phone to me
Old May 15th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

This is the situation -
You need to keep a UK account open to make the direct debits to their account.
They told me I didn't need to - they have an overseas account set up for that very reason. Maybe it depends who you are repaying to as there is more than one company now, so it is definitely worth giving them a call, they answered all my questions really easily like they are the same questions they get asked all day every day . As it happens I still have a UK account and pay through that anyway.
Old May 15th 2006, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to 'dodge' it, that's why I posted this message - I want to find out where I stand with regards to it, as I can't pay it all off before I leave and have heard that they write it off but didn't know if this was true.
OK, so I might have been a bit harsh. Well done for trying to find a solution, and for trying to work it out before you leave. However, I fail to see why a loans company would just write it off, nor why anyone would think that they would....nor why you wouldnt just contact them directly?