Student Loan

Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Student Loan

Hi, anyone know how I go aboout paying for my UK student loan from Aus and does anyone have any experience of how easy or not it is??

Thanks
xx
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Student Loan

Originally Posted by natalieml View Post
Hi, anyone know how I go aboout paying for my UK student loan from Aus and does anyone have any experience of how easy or not it is??

Thanks
xx
Hi Natalieml

Probably best to try and pay it off before you leave as it would be a bit of a pain sending money over each month to cover the direct debit, never mind the cost of transferring the money to the UK.

Debbie
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Thanks Debbie but that is no way an option! I remember reading a while back that you can do it through an Oz agent or something but just after a bit more info as it's different from paying off a bank loan as it goes directly to the government based on what I am earning.

x
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Debbie but that is no way an option! I remember reading a while back that you can do it through an Oz agent or something but just after a bit more info as it's different from paying off a bank loan as it goes directly to the government based on what I am earning.

x
Hi Natalieml

Never heard of using an agent in Oz to go about paying off your student but I'm sure someone will come along soon who can point you in the right direction. You could maybe look at phoning the student loans company and see what they suggest.

Debbie
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

I'm bumping this to see if anyone can help me
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:28 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I've got a bit left to go as well but I was planning on trasferring the money every few months. Wasn't aware fo any costs involved so my plan may be about to go to shit!
Old Dec 30th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

I think it is because they have to charge you based on what you are earning so you need to have some kind of agent over in Australia to inform the Student Loan Company as to what your payment should be. Something like that anyway but I was hoping someone could tell me a little more - seems not though. Guess it's back to searching the internet!!!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:14 am

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I think it is because they have to charge you based on what you are earning so you need to have some kind of agent over in Australia to inform the Student Loan Company as to what your payment should be. Something like that anyway but I was hoping someone could tell me a little more - seems not though. Guess it's back to searching the internet!!!
ONce you start earning a certain amount (£18k I think), you have to start paying once the deferment date comes round. At some point each year they ask for proof of your earnings and if its below the threshold you don't pay, if its above then you start paying it back. There's no scale based on how much you're using. Just trabsfer the money from Oz to the UK each month, I've been assured its free or very cheap. Have you started paying it back yet?
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:20 am

Got their number on my phone, how organised!? 0845 607 7577
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks SS. Yep i've started paying it back but it's a very slow process!!

x
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:53 pm

I know. I've been paying for about 4 years now. Imagine my disappointment when I called to see how much I had left outstanding recently and it was still nearly £2k.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tell me about it!! You would think they would be incouraging people to go to Uni not putting them off!!!!