Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

From student to De Facto - what happens in the interim?

From student to De Facto - what happens in the interim?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:05 am
Just Joined

miskintao is an unknown quantity at this point
Question From student to De Facto - what happens in the interim?

Hi

I am currently on a full time student visa running out early 2006 and am in the process of putting together my de-facto-spousal application. On the day it goes in what happens? I have heard that once you have an application in it makes your previous visa null and void, i.e. the restrictions such as only working 20 hours :scared: a week dissapear. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers
Simon
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From student to De Facto - what happens in the interim?

Originally Posted by miskintao

Hi

I am currently on a full time student visa running out early 2006 and am in the process of putting together my de-facto-spousal application. On the day it goes in what happens? I have heard that once you have an application in it makes your previous visa null and void, i.e. the restrictions such as only working 20 hours :scared: a week dissapear. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers
Simon
You will be issued a bridging visa with the same work conditions as your student visa until your partner visa has been granted. Bridging visas have restricted travel rights. You must apply for your partner visa before the expiry of your student visa.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:18 am
Just Joined

miskintao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From student to De Facto - what happens in the interim?

Hi Bondi

Many thanks dor the speedy reply, despite the fact it wasn't the answer I was hoping for - the 'free-consultation' I had with an immigration consultant was probably worth what I paid for it!!

Simon