Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

struggling to rent a property

struggling to rent a property

Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: struggling to rent a property

Originally Posted by itskaren
Really? I had no problems whasoever. I often direct doctors on short term contracts to gumtree and without exception have found good accommodation. I suppose you need to be careful everywhere. It is no different to advertising your property/accomodation on here (IMO). Like I said, my first few months was a living hell with poor, expensive accommodaion. And the person who owned it was the local principal of a very expensive private school! It is very difficult. I am only going by my experience and what I know. Gumtree is good! :-)
Some people have had great experiences with gumtree, BUT we have also had people report ripoffs. No-one is saying don't use them, but be careful if handing over money for a property that you haven't even viewed
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724646
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9529776
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by carpentry66
Hi we are due in melbourne next friday but are struggling to get a property rented for our arrival - anyone got any suggestions - is it impossible to organise while still overseas??? any help/advice greatly appreciated
I would book a holiday place first and then find the long-term place when you can view it yourself. Rentals in Australia can be pretty nasty. Like anywhere else I suppose.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Zombikiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Is 3 or 6 months rent upfront the norm?

We'd be struggling to get 6 months rent built up prior to going!

Would 3 months upfront cash secure most places?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zombikiller

You don't necessarily have to put cash up front, other than bond and first rental payment that is. If you can prove funds or that you have jobs then I wouldn't assume you need to pay up front at all. Play it by ear first.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Zombikiller is an unknown quantity at this point

^ Thanks

:sunglasses:
Old Dec 31st 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Cartingente is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carpentry66
Hi we are due in melbourne next friday but are struggling to get a property rented for our arrival - anyone got any suggestions - is it impossible to organise while still overseas??? any help/advice greatly appreciated
Try looking for rental websites to list you house if you havent already done so. One i can think of is www.erento.co.uk
and i'm sure there are many more where you can rent your house if you type in a search on google.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 1st 2012 at 11:14 am. Reason: URL removed
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:05 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

And if you want something even cheaper for a few days or week the Claremont Hotel in South Yarra on Toorak road is good value (Google it), the cheapest place I could find when in Melbourne from bush, great for public transport on train line to SE and beach suburbs and 5 minutes from city.

Yes, as others say don't event think about renting from offshore, check out websites etc., then inspect and haggle...... many property investors maybe desperate for renters.....
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 12:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by balkanghost
And if you want something even cheaper for a few days or week the Claremont Hotel in South Yarra on Toorak road is good value (Google it), the cheapest place I could find when in Melbourne from bush, great for public transport on train line to SE and beach suburbs and 5 minutes from city.

Yes, as others say don't event think about renting from offshore, check out websites etc., then inspect and haggle...... many property investors maybe desperate for renters.....
Beware though. Renting from offshore can mean being stuck in a rental or suburb that turns out to be awful when viewed in reality. Also if renting privately check your landlord is working within State laws. My ex had a private landlord, no bond, cheap rent - and NO maintenance, the guy did nothing for 12 years - no pest control, fuse box so old it was illegal, cracked floors and water pipes, even had his own stuff stored in the spare room!! When I realised he could come and go as he liked - including letting himself in cos I was too sick to answer the door! - I swore never to rent again without protection from the State body, RTA for Queensland.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Have to agree, we almost jumped into a place we had viewed. I was a little bit wary and hesitated. The very good friend we were staying with said lets go for a drive down there. He pointed out some little details which lead him to believe that some of the other properties may be inhabited by those who do little by day and much by night shall we say. Certainly in Qld if many of the properties have old free newspapers spread over the drive, Odds on its a rental area. And here we took a couple of weeks running around viewings. Its probably worth loosing a couple just to get some experience. We loved the look of one place, It had thick cream coloured carpets! throughout. Two boys+ Queensland rain, Whats the chance of keeping/getting those clean at the end of the lease.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Gumtree is that anyone can post anything on there. Sites like Stayz and Take-a-break are more regulated and property managers have to provide evidence of who they are etc before they are allowed to list a property. Sadly there have been too many scams on Gumtree.

As others have said, it really in not advisable to rent a long term rental without having seen it. It's the sort of situation where an agent will palm off an absolute lemon to you. A short term rental for 2-6 weeks is your best option and then you can take the time to look around for something longer term.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We booked a caravan site before arriving, we ended up extending the stay to about 5 weeks (I think?), coz we were struggling getting rented accomm.

The caravan site, let us pay weekly after our initial two weeks booking, but clarify this if you go down this route (as I think we were just lucky the person working in it was an expat).
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zombikiller

Dont think its the norm, but gets you a better chance of getting into the rental market, we did the six months up front thing, but write at top of application whatever you can afford, perhaps two moths up front.

Also have evidence of employment (if any), bank statements, and if you have sold property in u.k, have a photo and evidence of the sale, get your paperwork in order to give better chance. Also go round estate agents and see if you can get an application and fill it in beforehand with your paperwork and hand it to the estate agent the day you inspect. (not all agents will give you an application before inspection but some will).
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by In Exile
+1 for that. photos on websites have an uncanny ability to make shitholes look nice.

find a serviced appartment and base yourself there while you look.
Make sure you get references from either landords or agents before you come over. The Australian's are big on their application requirements for renters here: proof of income/savings, employment etc
plus 2
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Dont think its the norm, but gets you a better chance of getting into the rental market, we did the six months up front thing, but write at top of application whatever you can afford, perhaps two moths up front.

Also have evidence of employment (if any), bank statements, and if you have sold property in u.k, have a photo and evidence of the sale, get your paperwork in order to give better chance. Also go round estate agents and see if you can get an application and fill it in beforehand with your paperwork and hand it to the estate agent the day you inspect. (not all agents will give you an application before inspection but some will).
No to sound stupid but how do you get on if you go for a rental but you aren't working yet so no evidence of employment and you're renting out your house in the UK? Im a bit of a worrier so the prospect of applying for rentals with no paperwork to show is making me a bit uneasy
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
No to sound stupid but how do you get on if you go for a rental but you aren't working yet so no evidence of employment and you're renting out your house in the UK? Im a bit of a worrier so the prospect of applying for rentals with no paperwork to show is making me a bit uneasy
You need to put together paperwork, there is no escaping that. We put together a rental pack which included a cover note explaining why we would be good tenants, ID, bank statements, job offer letters and a letter from the agent who is renting out our UK home saying what a nice well maintained house it is.

In your situation you could include a reference from the UK agent you rented with, make sure evidence of savings is prominent and highlight in your covering letter that you have ample savings to cover rent for X months and perhaps offer to pay some in advance. Don't worry, you won't be the first new immigrant that is looking for a house without having work lined up and plenty manage it.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 4th 2012 at 7:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.