British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   struggling to rent a property (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/struggling-rent-property-738978/)

carpentry66 Nov 15th 2011 9:40 am

struggling to rent a property

Hi we are due in melbourne next friday but are struggling to get a property rented for our arrival - anyone got any suggestions - is it impossible to organise while still overseas??? any help/advice greatly appreciated

jomaspirit Nov 15th 2011 11:08 am

Re: struggling to rent a property

Originally Posted by carpentry66 (Post 9733681)
Hi we are due in melbourne next friday but are struggling to get a property rented for our arrival - anyone got any suggestions - is it impossible to organise while still overseas??? any help/advice greatly appreciated

When we had the problem of renting we was advised to offer 6 months rent in advance. This would get your foot in the door so to speak.

Bermudashorts Nov 15th 2011 11:19 am

Book holiday / short term accommodation and look for rental once you get here.

alipally Nov 15th 2011 11:08 pm

try www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk
From memory they have short term furnished lets on the website which will give you some time to find something more permanent.

HTH

harrip Nov 16th 2011 1:03 am

And for something very short term until you find what your looking for www.stayz.com.au

Kiwipaul Nov 16th 2011 1:16 am

Don't even consider renting something long term (more than 1 month) site unseen. Just do a search of this and other sites for horror stories. I know people will report they rented site unseen for 12 months and it was magic but for everyone who has done this you will find one that has rented a nightmare.

In Exile Nov 16th 2011 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul (Post 9735469)
Don't even consider renting something long term (more than 1 month) site unseen. Just do a search of this and other sites for horror stories. I know people will report they rented site unseen for 12 months and it was magic but for everyone who has done this you will find one that has rented a nightmare.

+1 for that. photos on websites have an uncanny ability to make shitholes look nice.

find a serviced appartment and base yourself there while you look.
Make sure you get references from either landords or agents before you come over. The Australian's are big on their application requirements for renters here: proof of income/savings, employment etc

newkiwi Nov 16th 2011 2:41 am

dont know if it us the same in melbourne but in brisbane you are not allowed to put in an application to rent a property unless you have been to a viewing. so look for somewhere short term and do househunting when you get to aus

itskaren Nov 16th 2011 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul (Post 9735469)

HI there,

I would agree. We rented in Mt Martha, Melbourne. Signed contracts in England. It was a living nightmare. The place was a dump. I strongly advise to stay in short term accommodation (if you can find any!).

It cost us thousands to get out of the contract. Parasites ... Good luck.

(great webiste by the way .. first post!)

itskaren Nov 16th 2011 4:48 am

When found some great accommodation (short term) on gumtree.

www.gumtree.com Lots of accommodation on this site. Good luck!

Beoz Nov 16th 2011 5:35 am

Originally Posted by In Exile (Post 9735471)
+1 for that. photos on websites have an uncanny ability to make shitholes look nice.

find a serviced appartment and base yourself there while you look.
Make sure you get references from either landords or agents before you come over. The Australian's are big on their application requirements for renters here: proof of income/savings, employment etc

+2. Simple Meriton serviced apartment for 1 month, then found a place. Website photo's and the real thing can be way off.

furkew Nov 16th 2011 7:32 am

agree with all above.

go for short term furnished for at least 2-3 weeks, and get a feel for areas, look at schools, look at long term rentals (they can often be shockers in the flesh) etc etc

Kate from moving to melbourne is very helpful. If she doesnt have anything available, im sure she might be able to point you in the right direction.

Stayz is good, but you are heading into the summer holiday period, and prices get pretty high.

gumtree is ok, but watch for scams. dont part with any money unless you feel 100% happy.

www.lastminute.com.au might have something as well

good luck :thumbsup:

tartankoala Nov 16th 2011 8:22 am

Originally Posted by itskaren (Post 9735702)
When found some great accommodation (short term) on gumtree.

www.gumtree.com Lots of accommodation on this site. Good luck!

Be extremely careful with accommodation on Gumtree. Well known scams of fantastic properties being advertised for rent at bargain prices because "owner is heading overseas at short notice".

You pay your deposit etc then turn up at the house to find that the real occupiers haven't a clue what you are talking about and you're down hundreds of dollars.

itskaren Nov 16th 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 9735911)
Be extremely careful with accommodation on Gumtree. Well known scams of fantastic properties being advertised for rent at bargain prices because "owner is heading overseas at short notice".

You pay your deposit etc then turn up at the house to find that the real occupiers haven't a clue what you are talking about and you're down hundreds of dollars.

Really? I had no problems whasoever. I often direct doctors on short term contracts to gumtree and without exception have found good accommodation. I suppose you need to be careful everywhere. It is no different to advertising your property/accomodation on here (IMO). Like I said, my first few months was a living hell with poor, expensive accommodaion. And the person who owned it was the local principal of a very expensive private school! It is very difficult. I am only going by my experience and what I know. Gumtree is good! :-)

flip Nov 19th 2011 8:31 am

Our place near Doncaster and Box Hill is available but don't know where you're hoping to settle.