Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

strong A$ - whens it going to end?

strong A$ - whens it going to end?

Old Feb 9th 2005, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default strong A$ - whens it going to end?

Hi All, After bottoming out at 2.36 and rising briefly to 2.55, the pound has fallen again to 2.41 and looks to go lower on the back of potential interest rate rises in Australia.

I'm looking to transfer assets over later this summer so I only hope things improve before then. Anyone got any views on what is likely to happen with the Oz economy this year?
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: strong A$ - whens it going to end?

Originally Posted by Sungold
Hi All, After bottoming out at 2.36 and rising briefly to 2.55, the pound has fallen again to 2.41 and looks to go lower on the back of potential interest rate rises in Australia.

I'm looking to transfer assets over later this summer so I only hope things improve before then. Anyone got any views on what is likely to happen with the Oz economy this year?
I think the US$ is the key here. It's gained a bit recently affecting all currencies including the Au$.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

You won't see too much movement now on the back of a rate rise by the RBA. They've already flagged it and its been taken into account on the rates as they are now - so long as the rise isn't greater than 0.25 you'll not see much impact when it comes.

If the UK were to up rates again and/or the USD gain a bit then you could see the GBP gain a bit.

All things considered its just going to be a yo-yo ride. From my point of view if I can get 2.5 then I'll be more than happy. I'm in no rush and I'll just ride it out in the mean time.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

One man's improvement is a worsening of another man's situation. Take heart from the knowledge that some of us are benefiting when transferring money back to the UK
Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:24 am
ABCDiamond

But that "may" be offset by the potential UK interest rate rises:
A leading think tank has predicted that interest rates will continue to rise next year despite a slowdown in the property market.

According to a new report from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), three rate rises will be needed in 2005, which will take the cost of borrowing to 5.5 per cent.
It all depends on who gets it right

Old Feb 10th 2005, 1:43 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think the US$ is the key here. It's gained a bit recently affecting all currencies including the Au$.
Exactly right, the US interest rate is the one we need to watch, it is expected to rise by 1% this year, so the later part of the year should see you getting more dollars for your pound.

Current live price: $2.396 (10.42 a.m Perth time)
Old Feb 10th 2005, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Its not the rate rises themselves that dictate the rate. Its the expectation of the rate rises. so if everyone expects the Uk rate to go up once and it then goes up 3 times in a year then GBP will strengthen. Conversly if everyone expects 3 rises and you only get 1 rise then the GBP will fall.

With the AUD you also need to look at predictions for commodity prices, as its traditionally linked to commodities. If they go up the AUD goes up.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 6:41 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Real Time, Tick By Tick Australian Dollar Rates