Strine

Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:55 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future
Default Strine

Apoligies if this has been posted before, but this is one of the better dictionaries of Aussie English I've seen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_words

A lot of the stuff I've seen (and heard in American movies) is hopelessly out of date. There's a lot of stuff that is no longer in use, especially rhyming slang (Which hasn't been used much in my lifetime - at least not where I'm from).

Thought some potential 'New Australians' might find it useful.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:45 am
Badge

Default Re: Strine

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Apoligies if this has been posted before, but this is one of the better dictionaries of Aussie English I've seen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_words

A lot of the stuff I've seen (and heard in American movies) is hopelessly out of date. There's a lot of stuff that is no longer in use, especially rhyming slang (Which hasn't been used much in my lifetime - at least not where I'm from).

Thought some potential 'New Australians' might find it useful.
I find, coming from London, that a lot of Australian is just a version of rhyming slang and a lot of the lingo is not unusual - in fact Aussies like London terms I use and I find newer ones here I haven't unused so it's win win and laughs all round.

I have a family that like the way I say mate all the time, even though you could argue it is very australian - as far as I am concerned it is as London as it is Australian

Badge

Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:57 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge

I have a family that like the way I say mate all the time, even though you could argue it is very australian - as far as I am concerned it is as London as it is Australian

Badge
Agreed, I've worked with a lot of Londoners and it sounded natural coming from them. From the dictionary "mate – a friend. A term that is used affectionately to address friends and acquaintances ("How's it going, mate?"), to address strangers ("Excuse me, mate..."), and extravagant pleasure at seeing someone (Mate! It's beaut to see yer again!"). Also used as a noun ("He's a good mate"). Sometimes deliberately used as an expression of aggression or threat (hostile overfamiliarity) directed towards a hostile or indifferent stranger (the tone of voice and context will make this usage very clear; there is no danger of confusion). The term is also common in British English in all these respects (except the last)."

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 16th 2005 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:48 pm
Badge

Agreed, I've worked with a lot of Londoners and it sounded natural coming from them. From the dictionary "mate – a friend. A term that is used affectionately to address friends and acquaintances ("How's it going, mate?"), to address strangers ("Excuse me, mate..."), and extravagant pleasure at seeing someone (Mate! It's beaut to see yer again!"). Also used as a noun ("He's a good mate"). Sometimes deliberately used as an expression of aggression or threat (hostile overfamiliarity) directed towards a hostile or indifferent stranger (the tone of voice and context will make this usage very clear; there is no danger of confusion). The term is also common in British English in all these respects (except the last)."
Very true, however, I also use the word mate to someone who clearly isn't. Usually said, with a raised eyebrow and an emphasis on mate.

I like the way the article says Australian humour is deadpan - which it IS I think. People have often complained on this site that Aussies have no sense of humour but this is a huge mistake - an Aussie will get deadpan humour vertually every time - ie. delivery speed is important - anything too scarcastic or aggressive will sound 'critical'.

Also like the way Downer is portrayed to be 'posh'.

Badge

Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly anyone ever says G'day - it's always "how's it goin?'"
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:17 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renth
"Good"
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:10 am
Gone surfin'

I do (in fact 'G'Day, how's it goin?' gets used as well) If you get out of the city you'll find a lot more 'strine' in use (not many Aussies at all in Ocean Reef! ). Accents vary according to location too, something a lot of people who haven't visited don't realise. The range of variation isn't anywhere near the UK (which I find remarkable given the size of the place) but its there.

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 17th 2005 at 3:12 am.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

(not many Aussies at all in Ocean Reef! ).
What's that suppose to mean? are you suggesting my experience of Australia is Ocean Reef?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:23 am
Gone surfin'

What's that suppose to mean? are you suggesting my experience of Australia is Ocean Reef?
Not at all..... I guess my humour doesn't translate into print too well Sorry, we Aussies were programmed at birth to have a dig at you Brits at any opportunity (blame the Irish) Relax, have a

Last edited by Soi Oz; Jul 17th 2005 at 10:26 am.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:26 am
(It's not my real name)

Not at all..... I guess my humour doesn't translate into print too well Releax, have a
Ok, thanks I will.

Anyway, here is a word I was thinking about the other day when my Mrs. and I were discussing premature babies.

In Australia you don't put them in an incubator - unless you want to hatch them but instead you use the wonderfully named "humidicrib"
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:31 am
Gone surfin'

Ok, thanks I will.

Anyway, here is a word I was thinking about the other day when my Mrs. and I were discussing premature babies.

In Australia you don't put them in an incubator - unless you want to hatch them but instead you use the wonderfully named "humidicrib"
Well... since the definition of incubate is " to sit on (eggs) so as to hatch by the warmth of the body; also : to maintain (as an embryo or a chemically active system) under conditions favorable for hatching, development, or reaction" and a premature baby has already been hatched, I like our version better

What do you Brits call an 'esky'? Can't say I ever came across them when I was living in the UK.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:24 am
Badge

Well... since the definition of incubate is " to sit on (eggs) so as to hatch by the warmth of the body; also : to maintain (as an embryo or a chemically active system) under conditions favorable for hatching, development, or reaction" and a premature baby has already been hatched, I like our version better

What do you Brits call an 'esky'? Can't say I ever came across them when I was living in the UK.
Can't remember - probably a cooler? We never used one - just a bag..

Badge

Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:56 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

I used to call it a Cool Box.

A