Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stressed and Terrified

Stressed and Terrified

Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

naomif is on a distinguished road
Default Stressed and Terrified

We leave our house for the in laws on wednesday next week, and the person who was meant to be taking our furniture away has pulled out, at this rate it will all end up at the dump!
As we are only on termporary visas we get no extra luggage allowence, can't seem to fit in everything I want to take and at the moment have no permenant address to ship stuff too.
The enormity of what we are doing has just hit me and Im scared that we're doing the wrong thing and wasting loads of money. The realistic side of my brain tells me that everything will be fine, we can always come back to the UK and we have been over to Aus before and loved it, but I just can't seem to pull myself out of it today.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stressed and Terrified

Originally Posted by naomif
We leave our house for the in laws on wednesday next week, and the person who was meant to be taking our furniture away has pulled out, at this rate it will all end up at the dump!
As we are only on termporary visas we get no extra luggage allowence, can't seem to fit in everything I want to take and at the moment have no permenant address to ship stuff too.
The enormity of what we are doing has just hit me and Im scared that we're doing the wrong thing and wasting loads of money. The realistic side of my brain tells me that everything will be fine, we can always come back to the UK and we have been over to Aus before and loved it, but I just can't seem to pull myself out of it today.
Hi naomif,

Know what you mean! We moved in with my mother in law this week too - its 5 weeks until we fly. Our shipping left Monday and tenants took over our house last night, I feel quite sad that I just cant go into my house anymore I have never been to Oz altho my OH was there some 11 years ago on a WHV but he was young free and single then - now he's married with 2 kids in tow.

Lets hope things will work out for us both (if it doesn't it will be a bloody expensive lesson to be learned!). Where are you heading and when? Do you have kids going too?

we are going as permanent residents and still only got 20kgs each - tried for more but they wouldnt budge.

Anyway, best of luck for whatever the future may hold.

Lynn xx

Last edited by the4ofus; Aug 1st 2008 at 1:51 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

naomif is on a distinguished road

Hiya,

Its just the two of us heading out, want to get over there before we get any ties and find it even harder. Melt down is slowly receeding have been reading peoples stories on the update website which usually makes me feel better.

We are heading to Ipswich which is just south of Brisbane, going there on temporary visa linked to my job but will be able to apply for permenant residency next year although who knows how long till that will be granted!

Where abouts are you guys off to? We will be attending british expat meet ups as soon as we can, I don't want to sit at home pining for the people that I miss over here. So many of our friends and family have small children and I get upset at the thought of how different they will be next time we see them.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you guys from here on in.

Na
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:58 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone who has made the move has thought the same! I know I did.

You just have to remember you only have one life, you have to at the very least try and do the best thing for you and your family.
I assume you have done your homework - where to live - job - schools and stuff? You already said you love Oz... so what's holding you back, just go for it.

There are no rehearsals in life... this is the real thing... go for it!
If you don't like it, just go back or try somewhere else.... you wont have failed, you will have had an amazing adventure and all your mates will envy you for having tried.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I think everyone who has made the move has thought the same! I know I did.

You just have to remember you only have one life, you have to at the very least try and do the best thing for you and your family.
I assume you have done your homework - where to live - job - schools and stuff? You already said you love Oz... so what's holding you back, just go for it.

There are no rehearsals in life... this is the real thing... go for it!
If you don't like it, just go back or try somewhere else.... you wont have failed, you will have had an amazing adventure and all your mates will envy you for having tried.
brilliantly said cant agree more!!
i've never ever been to oz.... and yet im so sure about doing this! haha.. wait till im REALLY moving, then i'll prob feel like you are now, naomi

good luck!! and most of all, ENJOY!
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

lee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the rough

HI NAOMIF

I now how you feel we to rented out our house, they moved in 1st may 08, it is very weared walking pass unable to go in and see if there looking after it, we are staying with the inlaws not ideal but had no choice. Its been quite stressful this year to, got our visa,s in feb, my parents moved to turkey in march and my sister lives in spain. 3 weeks ago i had to let my dog go and live with my brother and his girlfriend that was very tearful iv had her for 9 years. We have just come back from turkey been there 3 weeks to see my parents it was great to see them, very tearful when it was time for us to come back to the uk. we are on count down now 13 day to go carnt wait a bit scared now.
Hope you didnt mind me replying to you. Good look with everything hope everything goes well.

love

ann
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:15 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

HI, you are not alone. WE are due to leave our house this Friday and there is still soooo much to do. THE problem is we have a 18month old and a 4yr old so getting on with things can be really difficult. Sold a load of stuff on EBAY but chasing people up to collect is a nightmare, looks like we may have to take some of it to the inlaws and relist it.
We ARE slowly getting there. I think the OH is taking another day off work to get it all done.
Anyway, less than 3 weeks and we will be hitting Brisbane, residing on Sunshine coast...i know it will all be worth it. I think it makes you more determined.
Chin up you will get there
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you like it when you come however mix in with the locals don't just hang around with Brtis as if some are unhappy I think it rubs off on others.

Its sort of like when someone who is married gets together with a lot of separated people it can destabilize their own marriage.

Once you get to work you get to know people and they will invite you and accept its the only way.

Keep an open mind do not compare with the UK its a different place and if you compare it will add to any homesickness you may feel. Just remember why you decided to come wasn't it for a different life.

If you are optimistic and accepting everything will be fine.