Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stress of selling house

Stress of selling house

Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Stress of selling house

Got our visas on Wed that was the easy bit!!

Already we have had 2 arguments about when to put the house on the market, finishing off decor etc.

I don't know how we are going to last the next 6 months with all this worry.
Will it sell quick, then we might have to go in rented for a couple of months,
Will it takes ages then we might be stuck here past Jan or get less money for it.
When do I tell my work/ hand my notice in.
What if it doesn't sell before the enter date?

aaaaaahhh what a nightmare
Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

The Clarkes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stress of selling house

Originally posted by tinaj

Already we have had 2 arguments about when to put the house on the market, finishing off decor etc.

Will it takes ages then we might be stuck here past Jan or get less money for it.

Well done , reckon do your decorating then go straight on the market, by the time you sell and all the paperwork is done should be about right! anyway, isnt it better to have sold early than not sold in time?
How about staying with rellies for a while, is that an option? or a :scared:

goodluck,
t.c
Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:47 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Relax...don't be in a hurry...let things work out in their own time...plan but don't force...
Old Jun 7th 2003, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina,

The housing market in the South East is still very buoyant (even though everyone says it's not). We live in Chiswick and the market is still doing well.

A 2 bed house went on the market on our street a couple of weeks ago and was sold within 3 days. It needs loads of work doing on it and went for a small fortune.:scared:

Don't worry it will all work out in the fullness of time.

Best of luck to you.

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the comments.

We can't really stay with rellies as they only have 2 bed bungalows and there are 5 of us! My Mum also lives 150 miles away so we would not be be able to work if we stayed there.

We have thought about renting but can you rent somewhere for 2 or 3 months?

I am all for taking our time unfortunately Hubby wants everything to have happened yesterday!!
Old Jun 7th 2003, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell him to get on and sort it then

We can't really stay with rellies as they only have 2 bed bungalows and there are 5 of us! My Mum also lives 150 miles away so we would not be be able to work if we stayed there.

I am all for taking our time unfortunately Hubby wants everything to have happened yesterday!!
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tina,

A lot of estate agents offer short term lets. Normally done on a monthly basis. They are normally more expensive than a regular rental and are pitched at business people on short-term assignments.

Well that's my experience.

I hope it all works out for you.

Best Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:45 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tinaj
We are in the same boat, but have just put the house on the market and will go with the flow, after much deliberating, decided that since the new school year starts in Feb we should really get there before they close for the summer hols in dec, our parents are a bit upset as we will not be spending christmas with them but finding new schools for the kids was a priority so hope to go around late october, we shall have to see how quick the house sells, its been on three weeks now and we have 5 couples interested but only one of them has sold and they have put in an offer £35,000 under the selling price!!!!! we of course did not accept, so in sussex the market has slowed down but the prices are stable. If you are not in a big rush stick it on now at a good price and wait see what the reaction is.
Good luck with it all, I know how you feel!!!!!
Suz
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Our house goes on the market next week, we have to validate before Feb but would like to get out there before christmas while it is still relatively cool, and the kids start school in Feb.
Just hope it all slots into place easily...........
Old Jun 7th 2003, 4:59 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Tina

My own frustration with selling our house is well documented, but I've now come round to thinking that it will happen when it happens. The only thing I can say to you is don't make the same mistake as I have. I realised the other day that I have spent most of the last six months with my life on hold, stressing about the house sale. The bottom line is, it just isn't worth it. A friend of mine who is from a family of property developers told me that EVERY house sells in the end, no matter what the market is like. It's just a matter of time, which of course most of us on this forum don't have. We get our visas, then it's a race against the clock to get everything sorted by the validation date. My advice is get the house on the market now, but plan for a validation trip if the worst comes to the worst. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Andy

Old Jun 7th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Tina,
you want to swop?
we have sold the house, fingers crossed, but the visa has not materialised yet.
Don't know which is more stressfull?