Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

stress of living in OZ

stress of living in OZ

Old Nov 7th 2003, 5:53 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stress of living in OZ

I know there was a thread on a while ago about the impact of migration on peoples relationships. But we seem to be even more stressed at this end of it. Is anyone else feeling the same?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Honestly Donna, you mean you're not on the sun lounger, cocktail in hand.........

My hubby commented that I have never been so moody than I have since being here!!!! Oooohhh and I thought I was coping quite well, maybe not, and we HAVE got jobs and a house. I really do not think I'd cope if we didn't, in fact I know we wouldn't!!

It's all a dream before you come, when you get here I imagine that if things don't fall into place quite quickly it would be a living nightmare!:scared:

A very thankful Di
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:03 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: stress of living in OZ

Originally posted by Jirrupin
I know there was a thread on a while ago about the impact of migration on peoples relationships. But we seem to be even more stressed at this end of it. Is anyone else feeling the same?
I think it has made us stronger as a family. Had a few days when Hubby went a bit quiet when I told him how I felt about living here but he has quickly come around and feels the same now!

I was stressed in the first few months when no one answered my applications for jobs! I Don't expect anything different this time, now I'am trying to get full time work but I know what to expect this time round!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:05 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Honestly Donna, you mean you're not on the sun lounger, cocktail in hand.........

My hubby commented that I have never been so moody than I have since being here!!!! Oooohhh and I thought I was coping quite well, maybe not, and we HAVE got jobs and a house. I really do not think I'd cope if we didn't, in fact I know we wouldn't!!

It's all a dream before you come, when you get here I imagine that if things don't fall into place quite quickly it would be a living nightmare!:scared:

A very thankful Di
your only saying that because you want to be in 'HELLO" magazine! lol
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

LOL - "The Wanneroo Times" would do me!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

bloody hell yes!! we were newly-weds when we arrived and really threw ourselves in at the deep end in our start to married life.

I think when you arrive as a couple you are so dependant on each other that it does put additional stress on a relationship. There is no 'escape' when you need your breathing space - you don't have your best mate's house to go and chill over a bottle of wine with; he doesn't have the football to go to or his buddies to banter with. Until you start to forge a bit more of an independant identity, it can be stressful as you invariably end up spending all your time with the same person (not sure if this is the case for you).

For us, I think once we were working things became less stressful - we formed new friendships of our own, and could come home at the end of the day and actually have something to talk about that the other person hadn't been part of.

Sorry to hear you're feeling the stress tho
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're going berserk and we haven't even got there!!
Old Nov 8th 2003, 5:45 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences. I am glad it is not just me. I think we were so busy before the move, all mingled with excitement and anticipation. During those months/years you think you are prepared for everything but compared to our current reality it seems much easier to unpick and pack up your previous life than it is to establish a new one.

But if you have all survived the difficulties of your first few months, it gives me hope that we will too. Now where's Hiddenpaw's thread for chocolate 'stress busting' desert.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about the stress before we get there!!I hope it isn't any worse when we actually arrive. The main stress for us was waiting for the house to go through, now that has happened things are a lot calmer for us. I imagine that we will argue a lot when we arrive due to the stress of sorting everthing out again.

It has been hard for you on the job front, if you are used to working it is hard just to sit around at home. I hope things improve for you when you get a job and get out and about a bit. At least then you will see like-minded people other than your hubby to talk to.

Good luck