British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Streaming media centre/extender (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/streaming-media-centre-extender-537538/)

DunRoaminTheUK May 19th 2008 11:25 pm

Streaming media centre/extender

Does anyone here use a wireless media extender to stream TV/films etc to their TV (incorporating a PC as server) (to overcome the deficiency in Australian TV)?

Which one do you own?

Also, do you use 54G or Draft N?

tictac May 19th 2008 11:37 pm

Re: Streaming media centre/extender

My solution:

Apple TV (802.11n)

iMac/MacBook Pro

American iTunes Music Store Account

Demonoid + UK Nova + large download quota with iinet

:thumbup:

warbs4 May 19th 2008 11:45 pm

An old XBox with wireless connection to the PC - it runs pretty much all types of video direct to the TV. There is no delay or interuption in playback. Best $100 I've spent for years. You can also store directly on the XBox as well.

DunRoaminTheUK May 20th 2008 12:03 am

Originally Posted by warbs4 (Post 6368785)
An old XBox with wireless connection to the PC - it runs pretty much all types of video direct to the TV. There is no delay or interuption in playback. Best $100 I've spent for years. You can also store directly on the XBox as well.

I've got a Pinnacle Showcentre 200 which is hooked up to our LCD TV and my old Centrino laptop (wifi) runs the server software and in turn streams 54G to my Draft-N router (unfortunately - but irrelevant as Pinnacle is 54G), which is then relayed to the Pinnacle ShowCentre.

I'd like to get a Linksys DM2200 (Draft-N and built-in DVD) so that I can't stream higher quality video. I'm having to compress to 66% of original quality as anything more causes dropouts.

Amazulu May 20th 2008 1:32 am

I'm just about to start renovations on my place. I'm going to get the sparky to run Cat5 all round the house so that I can have a wired network/multimedia setup. I'm going to have media centre PCs in the bedroom and TV room and a wall mounted imac in the kitchen. I'm going to have wireless as well so that I can get internet/network access in the shed and in the garden.

DunRoaminTheUK May 20th 2008 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6368932)
I'm just about to start renovations on my place. I'm going to get the sparky to run Cat5 all round the house so that I can have a wired network/multimedia setup. I'm going to have media centre PCs in the bedroom and TV room and a wall mounted imac in the kitchen. I'm going to have wireless as well so that I can get internet/network access in the shed and in the garden.

Cool! Sounds like a plan to me and definitely the best plan of action because if you can get CAT5 running everywhere it's FAR MORE preferable than a wireless solution. I wish I'd done that in our new build but we simply didn't have the money.

bigAPE May 20th 2008 2:21 am

Currently I have a number of options, but I mostly use a Philips DVP-5960 DVD/DivX Player with 250GB WD Passport, nothing fancy, cheap and it does the job.

I'm waiting to get the Play TV PVR with dual HD decoders for the PS3 then I'll slap on a 2TB WD MyBook Pro and record/playback HD TV and upscaled DivX/XVid. Who needs Tivo or IQ :p