British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Strawberries (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/strawberries-917409/)

Amazulu Sep 18th 2018 8:59 am

Strawberries

The world has gone mad

I'm buying even more strawberries this week as the growers don't deserve this insanity

Do the same

paulry Sep 18th 2018 9:20 am

Re: Strawberries

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12564481)
The world has gone mad

I'm buying even more strawberries this week as the growers don't deserve this insanity

Do the same

+1 :goodpost:

Dorothy Sep 18th 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12564481)
The world has gone mad

Do the same

We're going picking this weekend in Carabooda. Support local farmers. :)

Amazulu Sep 18th 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12564558)
We're going picking this weekend in Carabooda. Support local farmers. :)

:thumb:

Amazulu Sep 18th 2018 12:06 pm

Bought 5 punnets on the way home

Dreamy Sep 18th 2018 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12564568)
Bought 5 punnets on the way home

We're still fully fruited up too.
I do despair at the mentality of some people though - not just the copycats, but there must be people who are sticking stuff in fruit at home and trying to claim compo/15 seconds of fame.

GarryP Sep 18th 2018 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12564831)
We're still fully fruited up too.

Freezing some up for use in drinks/cooking/etc is a good bet. Flashing freezing slices on a metal sheet in the freezer works well.

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 12564831)
I do despair at the mentality of some people though - not just the copycats, but there must be people who are sticking stuff in fruit at home and trying to claim compo/15 seconds of fame.

There are undoubtedly people looking to make a quick buck off sticking needles into strawberries at home. The police tend to be wise to this. The only explanation I've heard for real cases, that sounds viable, is farmers looking to access insurance payouts, since the prices of strawberries before this was already below cost price (a glut this year).

paulry Sep 19th 2018 8:00 am

Went to get some today from Coles but there were none there.

Amazulu Sep 19th 2018 8:57 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12564970)
Went to get some today from Coles but there were none there.

That annoys me

Pussies

bourbon-biscuit Sep 20th 2018 2:48 am

I don't usually buy them much because the plastic-to-product ratio is a bit insane, but I have been buying *heaps* since everyone lost perspective. Still, feel a bit guilty seeing the punnets stack up in the recycling bin: roll on when they package them in something sensible cos then I am happy to eat my (not insignificant) body weight in berries, regardless of needles/terrorists/great white sharks.

ozzieeagle Sep 20th 2018 8:16 am

Got 3 lots yesterday for the exact same reason. Got mine from Coles they had them here.

ozzieeagle Sep 20th 2018 8:18 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12564882)
Freezing some up for use in drinks/cooking/etc is a good bet. Flashing freezing slices on a metal sheet in the freezer works well.

There are undoubtedly people looking to make a quick buck off sticking needles into strawberries at home. The police tend to be wise to this. The only explanation I've heard for real cases, that sounds viable, is farmers looking to access insurance payouts, since the prices of strawberries before this was already below cost price (a glut this year).

My view was it was the Mafia (Really) who definitely have a lot of control over the fruit and veg industry in this country. Wanting to cause a shortage so their piece of the pie increases.

Could be wrong, but they definitely exist in fruit and veg in Melbourne.

Mafia in fruit and Veg...

Dorothy Sep 20th 2018 8:27 am

I've heard rumours that it's the farmers doung it for the insurance payouts. Apparently the price of strawberries is low this year so if the crop us unsellable they would get more from insurance. Just a rumour but it makes sense.

the troubadour Sep 20th 2018 9:34 am

It strikes me as absurd so many citizens would suddenly across states decide to tamper with strawberries. Those were my thoughts not immediately, but as numbers increased across borders. I wouldn't have mentioned it online for being accused of being insensitive to growers, at a time of inflamed emotions. Hope I'm wrong, but finding it increasingly hard to totally get rid of the lingering fishy odour.

paulry Sep 20th 2018 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12564988)
That annoys me

Pussies

Turns out they're running out of them by lunchtime.