Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stranger at the Dinner table

Stranger at the Dinner table

Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:07 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stranger at the Dinner table

That's very funny,and as the others have said good on you for allowing it to happen
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

It reminds of a time I was heading down to play tennis at Malvern and stopped in Worcester to do some sightseeing and shopping. I'd just parked in a multi-storey car park, got out and literally had one foot on Worcester soil when a girl appeared from nowhere. She was probably 18 but looked decades older with eyes sunken and a long way away, track marks on arms etc.

The gist of her conversation was if I paid for a meal in Maccas I could have whatever I wanted. (Wasn't sure if that was referring to her or the menu at Maccas)

Very sad like OP's story. I politely refused then she asked for a few quid for a meal which I also politely refused and she just shuffled off to look for someone else.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:48 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
It reminds of a time I was heading down to play tennis at Malvern and stopped in Worcester to do some sightseeing and shopping. I'd just parked in a multi-storey car park, got out and literally had one foot on Worcester soil when a girl appeared from nowhere. She was probably 18 but looked decades older with eyes sunken and a long way away, track marks on arms etc.

The gist of her conversation was if I paid for a meal in Maccas I could have whatever I wanted. (Wasn't sure if that was referring to her or the menu at Maccas)

Very sad like OP's story. I politely refused then she asked for a few quid for a meal which I also politely refused and she just shuffled off to look for someone else.
Are you scottish
Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:20 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Aw, how sad that someone so young is that desperate for something to eat : (

Good on ye for allowing her to sit there and have her fill. Karma to you good man
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Are you scottish
As in?

1 I should have given her money for 'a meal'?

2 I should have given the world's oldest trade some trade to pay for 'a meal'?

I was 100% certain that any money I handed out would have soon gone into the pockets of a scummy Worcester drug dealer.

That's the Catch 22 - if you give money to beggars etc are you helping them or helping them sign their death warrant? Admittedly OP knew where his grub was going but usually you don't know if it will go for food or not.

FWIW I give a lot of books and other goods to charity shops who provide meals for such people and I also do voluntary work for charities so my conscience is clear.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:26 pm
FREE TIBET

As in?

1 I should have given her money for 'a meal'?

2 I should have given the world's oldest trade some trade to pay for 'a meal'?

I was 100% certain that any money I handed out would have soon gone into the pockets of a scummy Worcester drug dealer.

That's the Catch 22 - if you give money to beggars etc are you helping them or helping them sign their death warrant? Admittedly OP knew where his grub was going but usually you don't know if it will go for food or not.

FWIW I give a lot of books and other goods to charity shops who provide meals for such people and I also do voluntary work for charities so my conscience is clear.
But she could have been an ex(or current) BE moderator
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:31 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have anyone specific in mind?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

T'wasn't me, I haven't been to Worcester since I was 11
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by paulry
Do you have anyone specific in mind?
It would be unfair and prob against the rules to name Sue,oh bugger i just did
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

(I'm probably missing some clever joke between those in the know on the forum)
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:56 pm
FREE TIBET

(I'm probably missing some clever joke between those in the know on the forum)
That's because yer too busy playing tennis and not spending enough time on BE
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That's because yer too busy playing tennis and not spending enough time on BE
If he was on here 24/7 like you are...
Old Oct 29th 2013, 5:37 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by paulry
If he was on here 24/7 like you are...
I have to keep an eye on saffers,it's my mission in life
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

How very dare you
Old Oct 29th 2013, 9:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for a non-profit that helped a lot of homeless people and I always wondered what to do when they I saw them begging at the intersections while cars are waiting for the traffic lights to change. As someone else noted, how can you be sure that the money you give them will go on food? So I was advised by a couple of people I worked with to keep a one or two packs of food (crackers, and cans of cold meat that could be easily opened with a pull tag thingy ... what ever they are called) in the car and then give that to them along with a bit of paper that listed help organizations. So thats what I did. May not have been what they were expecting, but at least it meant that ate that day if nothing else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.