Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Strange... wallaby story

Strange... wallaby story

Old Jun 10th 2004, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Question Strange... wallaby story

The Aussie invasion continues...
Wallaby found in Scotland
Old Jun 10th 2004, 9:42 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Weird huh?

It says that they think wild wallabies live in the Loch lomond area.
I never saw any when I lived there ....Mind you I was only living there for 3 months! You would think it was far to bloody cold for them up there wouldn't you?
Old Jun 10th 2004, 10:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Eucalyptus gunnii "whittinghamensis"

Old Jun 10th 2004, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I've got whitetails living in my sofa...in Cheshire
Old Jun 10th 2004, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Swimming from Loch Lomond to Islay? (LL is land-locked so he/she would have to hop quite a way as well as swim).

It's a sick practical joke if that is the real explanation. But then again people hunt animals in the name of 'sport' so one should not be too surprised at anything.

OzTennis
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Strange... wallaby story

Originally posted by Larissa
The Aussie invasion continues...
Wallaby found in Scotland
It is true that wallabies are in the UK, there is no mystery.

They've been England , Scotland and Wales for quite a while now:

Red-necked wallabies are the only species of marsupial known to be at large in the British countryside. They are not native to Britain but were introduced from Australia in about 1940. Red-necked wallabies have greyish-brown fur and, as their name suggests, they have red patches on their shoulders.

Status & distribution:The red-necked wallaby is an introduced species which only has a patchy distribution in the UK. Small colonies are found in the Peak District in England and near Loch Lomond in Scotland, and a large colony roams freely at Whipsnade Zoo from the link below (mammal trust UK) :

http://www.mtuk.org/index.php?page=mammal_marsupials

http://www.yowiehunters.com/New%20C...20in%201999.htm ( this link is about big cats but they also mention the wallabies in England and in Wales)
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Hows the poo pressies going Ceri?

Whisky
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:34 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

*shrug*

You guys introduced foxes and rabbits and crap and didn't think someone would get their own back?

People have been breeding emus here in the US for over a century.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by whisky
Hows the poo pressies going Ceri?

Whisky

I've done one in a mould .. like a paperweight.. I'm just polishing it up with diamond paste ( an industrial polish.. which as the name sounds it contains fine diamonds)... still don't know what to with the rest.. I've coated them in epoxy to seal them.. but haven't done anything else yet.

It was wallaby by the way.. I caught the little blighter on my video camera the other night.

Here he is ( this is a grabbed frame/shot off my video) , my own little present maker " Ceri's little helper"
Attached Thumbnails Strange... wallaby story-swamp-wallaby-1.jpg  
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased to read that it is all going to plan and not hitting the fan!!

You have a very imaginative mind when it comes to your pressies, but please don't put me on your Christmas list

Can't wait to see the finished product and your next find, and what you are going to do with it.

Does your family look forward to your little gifts arriving in the post??

Whisky
Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:59 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by whisky
Pleased to read that it is all going to plan and not hitting the fan!!

You have a very imaginative mind when it comes to your pressies, but please don't put me on your Christmas list

Can't wait to see the finished product and your next find, and what you are going to do with it.

Does your family look forward to your little gifts arriving in the post??

Whisky
are you sure?

Well I was going to send it to my father-in-law, he likes interesting things .. it's his birthday in a week.. but it isn't finished. ... but I really do like father-in-law, so only he gets the best products

Mum-in-law I usually send the very grotesque things to.. ( I love to wind her up.. she hates, or is scared of anything which hops, flies, crawls.. basically all animals except horses) .. I've already frightened her to not visiting us ( my cunning plan worked!)

My father gets the odd present too.. when he's in my bad books ..lol

They do really love me and like my gifts - I think !!! (perhaps they are too scared to say anything, perhaps they think I'll stop sending my lovely gifts)

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 11th 2004 at 6:01 am.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There was a private zoo near the M23 in Sussex which had several wallabies. I remember sitting at work early one morning surfing through the calls being made to the police by the public, and there were calls coming in from motorists saying things like "I think I'm dreaming but theres a kangaroo on the central reservation!" Seems some of them had escaped and were hopping up the motorway!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:32 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
There was a private zoo near the M23 in Sussex which had several wallabies. I remember sitting at work early one morning surfing through the calls being made to the police by the public, and there were calls coming in from motorists saying things like "I think I'm dreaming but theres a kangaroo on the central reservation!" Seems some of them had escaped and were hopping up the motorway!
There's quite a lot of wild wallaby's in Sussex. The story goes that some rich person brought them over here back in 1889 and over time they escaped and have spread in the wild arround Leonardslee gardens.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by kala
There's quite a lot of wild wallaby's in Sussex. The story goes that some rich person brought them over here back in 1889 and over time they escaped and have spread in the wild arround Leonardslee gardens.
I saw one years ago one evening on a night out near Crawley. It was caught in the beam of our headlights and just bounded across the road. I did think I was seeing things for a minute. Luckily I was on my way TO the pub and not on the way HOME so I knew it wasn't the alcohol!!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:10 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by Megalania
Eucalyptus gunnii "whittinghamensis"

As a horticulturist and former Euc grower i can say that Gum trees do far better in the UK than in their native homeland.

For those who want to grow a Euc over here, checkout this good nursery www.eucalyptus.co.uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.