Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Straight to OZ or stopover

Straight to OZ or stopover

Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Straight to OZ or stopover

Originally Posted by liamcnaught
We have 3 boys - 8, 4 & 2 and are concerned (to say the least) at the prospect of flying for such a long time and being stuck in one of the airports etc etc etc.

Infact after our meds had been completed the reception staff commented on our way out how we would cope on the flight!! Made me feel really good - nearly slapped the 3 of them on the way out and here's me thinking the 3 of them endured it all with incredible behaviour!! First for everything.
This made us think that maybe a stopover would be a good idea - allow us to catch our breath and eliminate the possibility of me losing it!!!

Experiences and opinions please

Lia
When we validated in 2004 we didn't stop over on the way out but saved it for the way back and the kids were fine (5,7 and 9 at the time).
This time we're stopping over, again as we're flying SIA it's Singapore.

Andy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi there
we have 2 children aged 4 and 2, we went to oz last year and stopped over on the way there but not on the way back. OH MY GOD never never never would i travel to oz again without a stopover (and medised) the flight back was a never ending experience of pain and stress even though the children were good!!
we stopped over in Kuala Lumpur on the way there and it was a breeze, if if were you, (especially when the children outnumber the adults!!!) i would stopover and enjoy a longer travel time than not stopover and endur a shorter time in hell!!! :curse:

beth
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:40 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethandneil
hi there
we have 2 children aged 4 and 2, we went to oz last year and stopped over on the way there but not on the way back. OH MY GOD never never never would i travel to oz again without a stopover (and medised) the flight back was a never ending experience of pain and stress even though the children were good!!
we stopped over in Kuala Lumpur on the way there and it was a breeze, if if were you, (especially when the children outnumber the adults!!!) i would stopover and enjoy a longer travel time than not stopover and endur a shorter time in hell!!! :curse:

beth
Hi there Bethandneil just seen your from cleggy im from scunthorpe when are you hoping to move out there and where to?
Were just serously thinking about it at the mo or should i say obsessing about it!Where did you visit when you went over and how much all in all did the trip cost (hoping to visit next april).
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:42 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I understand if you have the 40KG luggage allowance, a stop over is not an option.
If you have the cash and time I would say definitely stop over somewhere.... what a great chance to see another part of the world!
If you fly via the USA you get 46kg no matter how long you stopover and what visa you are on.

We are flying London - Miami - Cancun - Los Angeles - Hawaii - Melbourne. Is that enough stopovers?

Buzzy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

We have 3 boys - 8, 4 & 2 and are concerned (to say the least) at the prospect of flying for such a long time and being stuck in one of the airports etc etc etc.

Infact after our meds had been completed the reception staff commented on our way out how we would cope on the flight!! Made me feel really good - nearly slapped the 3 of them on the way out and here's me thinking the 3 of them endured it all with incredible behaviour!! First for everything.
This made us think that maybe a stopover would be a good idea - allow us to catch our breath and eliminate the possibility of me losing it!!!

Lia
Hi,
If you can do a stop in Singapore they have a really good zoo there to go and see,It would also break up the journey. We're going to try and save a bit extra so we can go to Disney enroute to Brisbane. I have 3 children 6, 5, 3
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

liamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura aboutliamcnaught has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Straight to OZ or stopover

what a fantastic response to the thread - once again really appreciate your comments.

Def going to stopover - thinking of Dubai, as Emirates fly from Glasgow and give reduce rates on their acommodation.
Had no idea about the baggage allowance so thanks for that too.

Off to watch an episode of Boston Legal on DVD as the TV is cr** and I love Alan Shore!!

Goodnight all

Lia
Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone gone the 'wrong' way round and had a stop over? A good friend of mine is leaving hte UK at the end of the month and going home to Kentucky in the states. WHEN we get our visas i would like to go that way round and have a bit of a holiday with her before heading off to our new life in oz
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:46 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daunted
Has anyone gone the 'wrong' way round and had a stop over? A good friend of mine is leaving hte UK at the end of the month and going home to Kentucky in the states. WHEN we get our visas i would like to go that way round and have a bit of a holiday with her before heading off to our new life in oz
Hey Daunted,
we was thinking of going that way but it means going via America which is full of yanks!!!! It just the hassle I think of dealing with the customs checks at America.
Good luck either way.
Gary and Vikky
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

bex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nicebex 66 is just really nice

We (OH, 4 year old and 3 year old) had an 18 stop over in Singapore, we booked the transit hotel, ( one big room), we all had a really good sleep,then went for a swim in the airport pool, shower, dinner and caught the flight onto Perth.

This worked really well for us but we had loads of hand luggage, toiletries, swimmers, change of clothes so I don't know if that would still be feasible. We didn't get our 40 kg of luggage as we were still in transit !!

But as someone has said, it won't be as bad as you think and don't try Phenergan ( kids sedative) without trying it out first, it can have the reverse effect and make kids hyper !!!!!!!

Good Luck
Old Mar 15th 2007, 5:51 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
Yes. We have flown mant times that way, because you get 46kg each, no matter what visa you are on. A stop in Kentucky is perfectly possible. Our routing for emigration in June goes London-Miami-Cancun-Los Angeles-Hawaii-Melbourne.

PM me if you really want to do that Kentucky stop, and I'll tell you how you do it.

Buzzy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud ofjules29 has much to be proud of

has anyone stopped at thailand on the way to oz. We will be flying from manchester to brisbane and oh really fancies going to Thailand.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by macker
I was told by Singapore that a stop over was no problem - even with 40kg baggage allowance. There are facilities where you can lock up your baggage and collect when you come back! She told me alot of people do it.
We did a stopover at Singapore, when we landed we were able to check-in 48 hours early for our next flight to Oz, then went to hotel with just hand luggage for one night! Make sure you have something in writing from Singapore Airlines regarding 40k allowance.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:03 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

They have put an electronic note on the tickets for us.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:07 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by jules29
has anyone stopped at thailand on the way to oz. We will be flying from manchester to brisbane and oh really fancies going to Thailand.
I stopped there on the way back from Oz once, only in Bangkok for 3 days. Fantastic city, loved it. Take an empty suitcase.

Buzzy
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:16 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Lia
Hi Lia,

Don't stop over get yourselves straight there.
We went for a holiday at Christmas time with Emirates flew from Heathrow as we visited my sister for the weekend and picked up a bug on the way out. We'll never fly from Heathrow again chaotic. We intend to emigrate later this year but we will fly direct from Glasgow to Perth no messing. Our kids were great on the flight slept most of the way and that's with my son ill as well.

Our kids are 6 and 3 plenty of flims on the flight psp's etc, sweets, drinks and colouring in books.

Cheers Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.