British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Straight to OZ or stopover (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/straight-oz-stopover-434411/)

liamcnaught Mar 13th 2007 7:30 pm

Straight to OZ or stopover

We have 3 boys - 8, 4 & 2 and are concerned (to say the least) at the prospect of flying for such a long time and being stuck in one of the airports etc etc etc.

Infact after our meds had been completed the reception staff commented on our way out how we would cope on the flight!! Made me feel really good - nearly slapped the 3 of them on the way out and here's me thinking the 3 of them endured it all with incredible behaviour!! First for everything.:ohmy:
This made us think that maybe a stopover would be a good idea - allow us to catch our breath and eliminate the possibility of me losing it!!!;) ;) ;)

Experiences and opinions please

Lia

datamile Mar 13th 2007 7:53 pm

Re: Straight to OZ or stopover

Flying with a decent airline like singapore and you'll have no trouble. Multiple seat back movies and games, and helpful staff who do losts to make your trip a pleasant one.

Your choice to stopover, but I would recommend getting into Oz late afternoon/evening if you can, and go to bed Oz time. Trying to stay awake for the day from morning flight with tired kids is hard.

SharonHall1205 Mar 13th 2007 8:24 pm

My husband, myself and my 2 children (6 and 3) flew over in December. We didn't stop over, as I thought the kids will sleep anywhere, and by the time you've dragged them round an airport at the stopover, got your cases, found your hotel etc... you're half way to Oz!

We flew with Singapore Airlines who were absolutley fantastic. They really looked after the kids. There was plenty of things for them to do.

Be under no illusions, it is a very long flight, but, my kids were fine, and I would have no hesitation in doing it again. I would not stop over.

In fact, my little girl has more tantrums driving the 5 minutes down the road to school than she did on the 26 hour flight! I didn't even know she was there!!!

shiels Mar 13th 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by liamcnaught (Post 4514507)
We have 3 boys - 8, 4 & 2 and are concerned (to say the least) at the prospect of flying for such a long time and being stuck in one of the airports etc etc etc.

Infact after our meds had been completed the reception staff commented on our way out how we would cope on the flight!! Made me feel really good - nearly slapped the 3 of them on the way out and here's me thinking the 3 of them endured it all with incredible behaviour!! First for everything.:ohmy:
This made us think that maybe a stopover would be a good idea - allow us to catch our breath and eliminate the possibility of me losing it!!!;) ;) ;)

Lia

I would'nt do the flight without a stopover, unless it was an emergency of course. My kids are older than yours at 13 and 10, but when we went last year the one night stopover at Kuala Lumpur was a godsend!!! We stayed in the aiport hotel, the Pan Pacific, which is absolutely fab. At £110 for 2 double rooms, brilliant value, in fact we wished we had stayed 2 nights!!! Its just enough to recharge you batteries and help you get refreshed for the next leg of your journey. Another reason it was good for us was that the food on Malaysian Airlines left a lot to be desired shall we say, so it was great to get something decent to eat!! C x

h2oskineil Mar 13th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by liamcnaught (Post 4514507)

Lia

I understand if you have the 40KG luggage allowance, a stop over is not an option.
If you have the cash and time I would say definitely stop over somewhere.... what a great chance to see another part of the world!

stevelaird Mar 13th 2007 9:53 pm

After speaking to a travel agent i was told that if you apply for the extra luggage allowance your ticket is stamped migration and you are not allowed to stop over. But then he said yes you can fly to brisbane from glasgow with emirates via dubi but you have a 9 hour wait for your next plane just what i wanted lol nearly half a day in a airport yipeee

macker Mar 13th 2007 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by h2oskineil (Post 4515269)
I understand if you have the 40KG luggage allowance, a stop over is not an option.
If you have the cash and time I would say definitely stop over somewhere.... what a great chance to see another part of the world!

I was told by Singapore that a stop over was no problem - even with 40kg baggage allowance. There are facilities where you can lock up your baggage and collect when you come back! She told me alot of people do it.

shiels Mar 13th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by macker (Post 4515383)
I was told by Singapore that a stop over was no problem - even with 40kg baggage allowance. There are facilities where you can lock up your baggage and collect when you come back! She told me alot of people do it.

Ive heard that this is possble too with Singapore Airlines. C x

temptininnit Mar 13th 2007 10:15 pm

Our thoughts were to have the stopover so we arrive in Oz in better shape, also to fly overnight the second leg so we see Oz through the window as we land. It's the start of a new life so we want to see the country as we touch down and we want to be in a good mood as we get off the aircraft!! :)

macker Mar 13th 2007 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by temptininnit (Post 4515446)
Our thoughts were to have the stopover so we arrive in Oz in better shape, also to fly overnight the second leg so we see Oz through the window as we land. It's the start of a new life so we want to see the country as we touch down and we want to be in a good mood as we get off the aircraft!! :)

Yes! We are going to stopover for a few nights, get over the jet lag and let the kids have a break from flying. And its exciting to taste a different city for a few days too.

temptininnit Mar 13th 2007 10:26 pm

I'd like to see the sea and the city as we bank to land in Oz not pitch black and the lights of the city.

:)

macker Mar 13th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by temptininnit (Post 4515485)
I'd like to see the sea and the city as we bank to land in Oz not pitch black and the lights of the city.

:)

;) And the sleep stuck in your eye is not visually impairing you! :lol:

stevelaird Mar 13th 2007 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by macker (Post 4515494)
;) And the sleep stuck in your eye is not visually impairing you! :lol:

lol

macker Mar 13th 2007 10:32 pm

Joking aside ,we are not looking forward to the flight with the kids!! Though in all fairness, it nevers ends up being as bad as you imagined!!

Phoenix Mar 13th 2007 11:31 pm

With kids in tow i've always done stopovers.

This time i#m doing one with emirates - dubai 5 nights the 11 hour flight direct:)