Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the story so far

Wikiposts

the story so far

Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold
Default the story so far

My husband and i have dreamt for three yrs of living in Australia and it has been a dream for us. We have been 3 times for about a yr in total. After our last holiday in Dec/ jan 07/08 we decided to get the ball rolling and make it real. Out of the blue we had a call from a contact and the OH was offered a sponsorship in Cairns. we were ecstatic, the house was sold, we told the kids (then 6 and 3 ) the lot, and then it all fell through and we thought there was no other way in until 3weeks ago..... We have been offered the chance to go to Sydney this time, ( The same company who kept my husbands details and a position has come up) which is fab as my sister lives in Dee Why and my dad lives near Forster so its a bit closer this time! I am so scared it wont happen again and there seems so much to think about,Sounds daft but now it could be happening i am thinking OMG what do i do first! Also my son who is now 8 is quite negative about it all. Job would be in Mascot, what are places like round there to rent? Also at what stage should we be cracking the champagne open and letting family know?! sorry to go on, lots of things going round in my heaad!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:21 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the story so far

What Visa will you be coming out on? What was the reason the job fell through last time?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

On a 457. It fell through last time as the person my husband had been in talks with resigned from the company and the new guy that took over didnt think there was a need for my husband and a month later closed the office in Cairns and everyone was made redundant. They have relocated to Newcastle and the head office is in Mascot Sydney.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:57 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma75
On a 457. It fell through last time as the person my husband had been in talks with resigned from the company and the new guy that took over didnt think there was a need for my husband and a month later closed the office in Cairns and everyone was made redundant. They have relocated to Newcastle and the head office is in Mascot Sydney.
A 457 can come through pretty quickly (or at least it used to be able to?) - I think we had ours within about 6 weeks (but that was almost 4 years ago now). Crack the champagne open when you receive the Visa. Will they assist you in getting your PR after arrival? The 457 Visa offers very little security (as I'm sure you already know) so PR can make a big difference both for job security, and financially.

Good luck!! This is the exciting part... Enjoy it
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure you're already aware of it but if you're in NSW on a 457 visa then you'll have to pay to send the kids to school (unless things have changed recently).
Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm sure you're already aware of it but if you're in NSW on a 457 visa then you'll have to pay to send the kids to school (unless things have changed recently).
Yes thats right, I forgot about that. Cost us $4500 for one year I think (again this was 4 years ago).
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

OMG! didnt realise that! Do the company sponsoring us help with any costs?
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG! didnt realise that! Do the company sponsoring us help with any costs?
I don't think they're obligated too, but sometimes companies do pay for it. It's definitely something to ask for.

If you haven't read up on the 457 visa before then I'd have a read at this:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

Number 2 is the part about schooling.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Also at what stage should we be cracking the champagne open and letting family know?!
Congratulations !

We've been in Sydney 3 months and love it.

We wondered the same thing when my husband was offered a job and we chose not to tell anyone or for him to resign from his job until we had a couriered signed contract in our hands. He reckoned that if it fell through after that point, that the Australian company would be liable for any costs we incurred as a result (ie. loss of an income in the UK, flight costs etc.)

Someone who knows more about employment law might correct me on this but I reckon a contract is the most security you're likely to get.

I'm sure it'll all be fine.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks, Im keeping everything crossed ! Sponsorship is the only way in for us and we have said if it doesnt happen this time then thats it for us Will keep you posted! Emma
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, Im keeping everything crossed ! Sponsorship is the only way in for us and we have said if it doesnt happen this time then thats it for us Will keep you posted! Emma

Good Luck Emma. Hope it works out positively for you.