Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The story so far !!!!

The story so far !!!!

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default The story so far !!!!

Left teeside airport 26th june for heathrow and managed to incur a £150 surcharge even though we were allowed 64kgs each as flights were business class with Air Newzealand(It was the fact that we had 5 pieces rather than the permitted 4 cos they were chocker and didn't really want to leave anything behind but as they say s**t happens !! )Never flown Business class before but because of unforseen circumstances and being unsure about the change of citizenship rules after july 1st we decided to treat ourselves as we were flying for approximately 37hrs consecutively. First leg of the flight was to LA in the USA approx 10 hrs. Service food and attention onboard were absolutely fantastic (Hats off to Air Newzealand staff ).2nd leg was from LA to Auckland (just short of 12 hrs) and once again everything was tickety boo apart from a few humps and bumps along the way.In Auckland for only 1 hour then the last leg was to Brisbane which took just under 4 hrs i think.All in all 2 happy very tired customers.Taxi from airport to city with 4 case and 3 holdalls not too bad at about 50 dollars.Currently staying at Oakes on Margaret street and they very kindly let us have a room straight away at 10am,4hrs before check in time.Spent the rest of the day trying to get some sleep ! Dinner that evening was at a steakhouse at Eagle Street pier which was most delightful but as i've got a memory like a cheese grater i forget what its called !
Friday . After breakfast we decided we'd take the train straight to Cleveland to try to sort out a rental accommodation for the time being(too much of a coward to drive in the city at the moment!). A ny way public transport in Brisbane has always been very good in the past so we just decided it would be a more chilled out way of travelling!Cost of Day ticket was $8.80 and this can be also used on buses and city cat as well as the train (good bargain).Spent several hrs visiting loads of real estate agents and a few fone calls later arranged for 3 viewings for Saturday which we considered ourselves very fortunate as there were only about 8 rentals available according to the estate agents printouts. A very tiring day was rounded off with a few well earned bevvies in the city ! Hoorah !
Saturday. As the rental viewings were all in the afternoon we decided to go and exchange our English driving licences to Aus ones .Bad mistake absolutely dozens of people waiting to do the same thing so we gave it a miss !Travelled once again to Cleveland via train. 1st viewing 3 bed townhouse in a gated complex house wasnt suitable so trotted on to second viewing .This was for a 4 bedroom house unfurnished at $360 / week on a six month lease.Nice area but was quite shocked that there were 9 other viewers there at the same time (apparently rentals are very hard to come by at the moment in this area hence all the attention) Any way got the relevant application forms and off we trotted again to the other side of cleveland for viewing number 3.This again was a fully furnished 2 bed town house on a gated complex and there were no other people viewing this time as well (maybe no one likes gated complexes !!) This house was much better layout than the last one even though it was only 2 beds.John the manager couldn't do enough for us and eventually we came to an agreement to rent for a 2 month period with a longer option if required and possibility of moving into a 3 bed unfurnished house when our furniture arrived at a cost of $360 / week .Once the rental has been sorted the pressure removed is immense in our opinion as it gives you some sort of reassurance and the opportunity to keep looking for something else if required .As we'd achieved our main objective we decided to try our luck again with driving licences at the Cleveland office thinking there would be fewer people there !Totally gobsmacked once again as there were more here than in the city!(well theres always next week !)Got back to Hotel that night with very sore feet and just collapsed.
Sunday was to be a new experience for us as we were to attend our 1st expats meet up at southbank arranged by Ginny .We decided to stroll across to southbank as the weather was a nice 20 degrees.On arrival we were one of the first ones there but a good crowd upwards of 2 dozen gathered throughout the day and we met some very nice people indeed and thoroughly enjoyed the crack with everyone and had a couple of drinks later with netty and paul to round the day off and we'll definitely be popping down to Broad beach in a fortnights time for the next time.
Monday.We decided yesterday to have a relaxing day and that's just what we did.We had a stroll down by the river in the morning then done a bit of shopping in the afternoon before catching our 1st rays around the hotel pool after dinner.Then i decided to rent 24hrs on the internet within the hotel at a cost of $20Linda sorted our Tax file number in the meantime on the internet before i took over the computer for the rest of the day. I know that there's probably not a lot of information for people on this thread and it is rather long winded but if there's any of you out there who like me enjoys reading about other peoples experiences i hope this is of some interest to you.Got to dash to bed now as my typing finger is numb and i must catch a few winks as its 3:00am .Bye for now !
Have a nice day everyone
regards Bobby & Linda

Last edited by bobbyftm; Jul 2nd 2007 at 5:08 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all
Default Re: The story so far !!!!

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Left teeside airport 26th june for heathrow and managed to incur a £150 surcharge even though we were allowed 64kgs each as flights were business class with Air Newzealand(It was the fact that we had 5 pieces rather than the permitted 4 cos they were chocker and didn't really want to leave anything behind but as they say s**t happens !! )Never flown Business class before but because of unforseen circumstances and being unsure about the change of citizenship rules after july 1st we decided to treat ourselves as we were flying for approximately 37hrs consecutively. First leg of the flight was to LA in the USA approx 10 hrs. Service food and attention onboard were absolutely fantastic (Hats off to Air Newzealand staff ).2nd leg was from LA to Auckland (just short of 12 hrs) and once again everything was tickety boo apart from a few humps and bumps along the way.In Auckland for only 1 hour then the last leg was to Brisbane which took just under 4 hrs i think.All in all 2 happy very tired customers.Taxi from airport to city with 4 case and 3 holdalls not too bad at about 50 dollars.Currently staying at Oakes on Margaret street and they very kindly let us have a room straight away at 10am,4hrs before check in time.Spent the rest of the day trying to get some sleep ! Dinner that evening was at a steakhouse at Eagle Street pier which was most delightful but as i've got a memory like a cheese grater i forget what its called !
Friday . After breakfast we decided we'd take the train straight to Cleveland to try to sort out a rental accommodation for the time being(too much of a coward to drive in the city at the moment!). A ny way public transport in Brisbane has always been very good in the past so we just decided it would be a more chilled out way of travelling!Cost of Day ticket was $8.80 and this can be also used on buses and city cat as well as the train (good bargain).Spent several hrs visiting loads of real estate agents and a few fone calls later arranged for 3 viewings for Saturday which we considered ourselves very fortunate as there were only about 8 rentals available according to the estate agents printouts. A very tiring day was rounded off with a few well earned bevvies in the city ! Hoorah !
Saturday. As the rental viewings were all in the afternoon we decided to go and exchange our English driving licences to Aus ones .Bad mistake absolutely dozens of people waiting to do the same thing so we gave it a miss !Travelled once again to Cleveland via train. 1st viewing 3 bed townhouse in a gated complex house wasnt suitable so trotted on to second viewing .This was for a 4 bedroom house unfurnished at $360 / week on a six month lease.Nice area but was quite shocked that there were 9 other viewers there at the same time (apparently rentals are very hard to come by at the moment in this area hence all the attention) Any way got the relevant application forms and off we trotted again to the other side of cleveland for viewing number 3.This again was a fully furnished 2 bed town house on a gated complex and there were no other people viewing this time as well (maybe no one likes gated complexes !!) This house was much better layout than the last one even though it was only 2 beds.John the manager couldn't do enough for us and eventually we came to an agreement to rent for a 2 month period with a longer option if required and possibility of moving into a 3 bed unfurnished house when our furniture arrived at a cost of $360 / week .Once the rental has been sorted the pressure removed is immense in our opinion as it gives you some sort of reassurance and the opportunity to keep looking for something else if required .As we'd achieved our main objective we decided to try our luck again with driving licences at the Cleveland office thinking there would be fewer people there !Totally gobsmacked once again as there were more here than in the city!(well theres always next week !)Got back to Hotel that night with very sore feet and just collapsed.
Sunday was to be a new experience for us as we were to attend our 1st expats meet up at southbank arranged by Ginny .We decided to stroll across to southbank as the weather was a nice 20 degrees.On arrival we were one of the first ones there but a good crowd upwards of 2 dozen gathered throughout the day and we met some very nice people indeed and thoroughly enjoyed the crack with everyone and had a couple of drinks later with netty and paul to round the day off and we'll definitely be popping down to Broad beach in a fortnights time for the next time.
Monday.We decided yesterday to have a relaxing day and that's just what we did.We had a stroll down by the river in the morning then done a bit of shopping in the afternoon before catching our 1st rays around the hotel pool after dinner.Then i decided to rent 24hrs on the internet within the hotel at a cost of $20Linda sorted our Tax file number in the meantime on the internet before i took over the computer for the rest of the day. I know that there's probably not a lot of information for people on this thread and it is rather long winded but if there's any of you out there who like me enjoys reading about other peoples experiences i hope this is of some interest to you.Got to dash to bed now as my typing finger is numb and i must catch a few winks as its 3:00am .Bye for now !
Have a nice day everyone
regards Bobby & Linda
Thanks for the update, i really enjoy reading them whilst over ere.
Plzz keep em coming
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Hi bobby & linda

Great post, its nice to hear people getting there safe and well. Hope you settle into your rental ok - keep the updates coming
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Excellent post, keep them coming and enjoy!

Nic
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

jamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nice

hey well done bobby mate glad your there safely and settled take care great thread speak soon jim/lorraine
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine
hey well done bobby mate glad your there safely and settled take care great thread speak soon jim/lorraine
cheers jim / lorraine i've sent you a pm
regards bobby / linda
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Have a nice day everyone
regards Bobby & Linda
Cool post, its great to hear how others are getting on. Keep us posted and good luck with moving into your rental etc.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 3:53 pm
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Good Post and good luck with your further adventures
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 4:27 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the insight - we are off to Cleveland too in about 6 weeks so your thoughts on the rental situation are of particular interest to us.

Keep passing on what you find out
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a nice day everyone
regards Bobby & Linda
Hi, it's pleasing to hear such a positive post. Well done you!
can you recommend any good areas in Brisbane please.
Family orientated, good schooling and decent housing but affordable and within reasonale distance to beaches and shopping facilities.
Don't want much do we !

Cheers,
Mike & Leah .