Wikiposts

storms

Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:48 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: storms

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I am not splitting hairs here but am sincerely curious as to why folk in Oz - and the UK, come to that - class 1st December (or June) as the beginning of summer. Does summer not start on the summer solstice, winter on the winter solstice and spring and autumn at the equinoxes?

Please sort this out for me? I'm genuinely confused....

Sue
That is the scientific definition of the seasons, yes, as used by scientists to determine the lengths of seasons etc.

But everyone else says Winter starts December or June, Spring starts March, or September, etc...

Apart from the Irish of course Who I spent 5 years arguing with that spring DOES NOT start on February 1st. For some reason the Irish seasons are 1 month out

The Irish divided their year into quarters. The four quarters were called Earrach [arragh], Spring ; Samhradh [sowra], Summer ; Foghmhar [fowar], Autumn ; Geimhridh [gevre], Winter : and they began on the first days of February, May, August, and November, respectively
Old Nov 30th 2005, 3:51 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

well, that's the way i would think it too. but when you really think about it june 22nd (northern hemisphere) and december 22nd (southern hemisphere) is midsummers day. so realistically wouldn't summer start around may/november 7th??

if you think about it, the coldest uk and warmest oz weather is usually around end of jan/beginning of feb

I am not splitting hairs here but am sincerely curious as to why folk in Oz - and the UK, come to that - class 1st December (or June) as the beginning of summer. Does summer not start on the summer solstice, winter on the winter solstice and spring and autumn at the equinoxes?

Sue
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:08 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sue2
Me too :scared: our bedroom sort of sticks out from the rest of the house, I ended up leaving Chris and getting into bed with Morgan Never been bothered by Storm's before, but last night was one big storm!!

Sue x

............. not quite like the south Kent coast then Sue??!!

Hope you're all well?

Regards

Jim
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: storms

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
............. not quite like the south Kent coast then Sue??!!

Hope you're all well?

Regards

Jim

No, I was sooooo :scared:

All good here hope all is well with you

Sue x
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
That was the MOTHER of all storms!!! I've not seen one like that before :scared: :scared: been some flooding down here, nothing really serious...thank god!

Our kids slept though some of it, when they wake up they got really scared as we'd lost our power.

Sue x
Mental note to bring wind up alarm clock!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sue
a great question, but I like it - I can't think of a better cut off date(s) to divide the year into 4 seasons (for the south at least). I like the Australian system. If the equinox was the date then the seasons would start too early. If summer in the UK starts in late March, where is spring, seeing as its still winter in Feb? Unless spring is but just 6 weeks - the turning point -before summer likewise autumn. Spring and Autumn are supposed to be transition months. Don't have to be equal in length to summer or winter...
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick

if you think about it, the coldest uk and warmest oz weather is usually around end of jan/beginning of feb
thats due to sea/land temps and a time lag effect - the longest and shortest, respectively, days are long gone..

Australia gets hot due to land mass in part.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Must admit we were scared too!!! shit :scared:
We thought the storm at about 8.30 - 9pm was ok and this then carried on into the night.
BUT I was awoke but really loud thunder at about 12.55 am this morning and there was the most terrfying storm happening over Cleveland where we live. My 10 year old Aimee was so frightened she came in with us abou 1.30 and cos we fetched little Georgia out of bed too we had 4 in our bed. Good job its a Queen size
The lightening lit up the sky but what we want to know is where does it strike cos the force of it has to go somewhere..

Where are you living Michelle?
Hope we dont get a storm like it tonight as Rich won't be in till about midnight :scared:

Ang
We are in Wellingon Point so just around the corner

Apparently we were hit with 4 storms last night. 2 major ones clashed overhead and it was the 2 smaller ones that were feeding the bigger ones - hence alot of lightening and rumbling thunder rather than crashes and bangs. Wasnt as scary as the one on tuesday though :scared:
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Sue
Ahhhhh now this must have been the day i threw the sicky at school cause i have no idea what you are talking about hehe

Oooooh the thunder and lightening has just started AGAIN - wonder how long it will go on for tonight
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:05 am

Oh please noooo!!! Why do I see lightening out of the window? And is that thunder I hear? Not again tonight please!!!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:16 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unycorne
Before we moved to Brisbane no one mentioned these storms to us. We obviously new about these storms - lived and survived Thailand enough times....however it never occured to us that we would get storms here of this magnitude.

Are they just big freaky ones at the moment or are these pretty average for the time of year? How long does the storm season last and apart from the normal in getting torches, candles and battery operated radios - can any one suggest anything else?

On a major plus side, our dog is fascinated by the lightening, and he will sit outside or by the window watching in amazement. Last night he slept through the entire thing - strange dog

michelle
xxx

Michelle, they are quite normal now that its summer, they usually start in November & go through til February. Its quite common to get a line of storms come through, mostly in the late afternoon & evening as Polly mentioned, but also quite often in the middle of the night & even early in the morning, these cells the last couple of days just seem to be popping up all over the place, so they are a bit unpredictable, but in respect to size/intensity etc these are fairly normal. (I will exempt from that comment the storm at Noosa this afternoon - 2-4 inches of rain is average, 10 inches of rain is seriously abnormal :scared: )

As J&R mentioned, last year was particularly mild, we had much cooler than normal temps, almost no storms & very little rain. Although this year so far hasnt been particularly hot yet (apart from the few really hot days back in Sept), the rainfall side looks like its improving .

As for not knowing about the storms - I always post on here about storms for exactly that reason, to let people know what to expect. However the locals probably wouldnt think to mention it if they were talking to someone from the UK - after all, everyone gets storms like these for 4 months of the year, don't they?
Old Dec 1st 2005, 1:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Left work tonight with info still coming in about damaged properties in Noosa, and down in the Currumbin area of the Gold Coast (those from last night). The Duty Forecaster at the Met Bureau said at 10pm, as we left work, that he could not give us any gudance as to storm paths tonight - they were building, shrinking, changing direction - wholly unpredictable.
Hope everyone has a peaceful night - we have a busy day ahead sorting out damage bills and seeking State assistance for affected people.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

storms??........bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!

i LOVE storms!!!!!!!!!! every storm i've ever been in i've been outside dodging the lightening..... i LOVE THEM!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails storms-city-19th-may.jpg   storms-story-bridge-19th-may.jpg  
Old Dec 1st 2005, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Michelle, they are quite normal now that its summer, they usually start in November & go through til February. Its quite common to get a line of storms come through, mostly in the late afternoon & evening as Polly mentioned, but also quite often in the middle of the night & even early in the morning, these cells the last couple of days just seem to be popping up all over the place, so they are a bit unpredictable, but in respect to size/intensity etc these are fairly normal. (I will exempt from that comment the storm at Noosa this afternoon - 2-4 inches of rain is average, 10 inches of rain is seriously abnormal :scared: )

As J&R mentioned, last year was particularly mild, we had much cooler than normal temps, almost no storms & very little rain. Although this year so far hasnt been particularly hot yet (apart from the few really hot days back in Sept), the rainfall side looks like its improving .

As for not knowing about the storms - I always post on here about storms for exactly that reason, to let people know what to expect. However the locals probably wouldnt think to mention it if they were talking to someone from the UK - after all, everyone gets storms like these for 4 months of the year, don't they?
Thanks MrsD - i feel alot better now knowing what is actually happening you have put my mind to rest.

michelle
xxx
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:18 am

Ahhh, I see there is another big wave of storms approaching tonight

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR503.loop.shtml

Oh well Sleep well everyone,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.