Wikiposts

Stopvers-help

Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Stopvers-help

We are returning to the Uk soon and would like some ideas with stopovers!

Dubai is out (flight gets in at wrong time and been there!)
Hong Kong out as all flights booked for the dates we want (dam it-that was my first choice!!)

So there is Kula Lumpar which I know nothing about, Bangkok or Singapore which is least favourite and doesn't excite me!

We are leaving from Perth so do not think we have any other alternatives? Oh, Royal Brunei but no alcohol?!

I know we have had this thread a few times before but Singapore Vs KL Vs Bangkok???????????

Or any others?-please!

Oh-will only be for 2-3 nights but it is important!!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

a costelo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi being a travel agent thought i mights come to your rescue
bangkok is probably going to be your cheaper option i love this city its great for shopping and great food can get really good quality hotel at good price easy trip to city from airport approx $15
in cab and 20mins i always stay at montien hotel near the markets
-though may mean flying thai from Perth bit average

singapore ...ok stop if you have never been ...its like one big airconditioned shopping mall...though trip to sentosa and raffles is worthwhile singapore airlines excellant airline
easy and cheap to get from airport to city

kl ok again for shopping good hotels at good prices
malaysian airlines excellant biggest seat pitch in economy

for all of the above max stay 3days
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I believe on Royal Brunei you can take your own booze.....ask Go Bananas, they just arrievd with them. Mind you, that would leave me without much space for luggage......
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:08 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MRU

Here's one I bet you never thought of... Mauritius!

You can do Perth-Mauritius-Heathrow.

I took some travel agents out there and flew Air Mauritius and they were excellent. Very Comfy seats, excellent crew, and very good food. They fly a very modern fleet too........

Mauritius is gorgeous!

www.airmauritius.com

HTH
Lucy
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:34 pm

Sorry meant Melbourne-MRU-LHR!!!

Lucy
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:35 pm

I cant read today...you ARE in Perth so that's fine...I read Amanda's reply and saw Melbourne...but I was right the first time...ignore me!

Lucy
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stopvers-help

Originally posted by melaniee

Hong Kong out as all flights booked for the dates we want (dam it-that was my first choice!!)

So there is Kula Lumpar which I know nothing about, Bangkok or Singapore which is least favourite and doesn't excite me!

We are leaving from Perth so do not think we have any other alternatives? Oh, Royal Brunei but no alcohol?!

I know we have had this thread a few times before but Singapore Vs KL Vs Bangkok???????????

Or any others?-please!

Or with a short flight from all 3 is Phuket or Koh Samui for some cheap good accomodation in the tropics.

For a pricier but more interesting challenge is Tokyo or Osaka/Kyoto.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:33 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

A lot depends on what type of person you are and what you want with a stopover. Personally I'd always go to Bangkok as I enjoy the hustle and bustle and the backpacker scene. However it is not the most appealing city at first glance and can appear dirty, overcrowded plus everyone seems to be trying to rip you off. It is cheap though.

KL and Singapore in comparison are much cleaner cities (especially Singapore) and appear nicer on first impression. You could spend a couple of pleasant days there without too much hassle. However I find them a bit boring for my own tastes.

Personally I'd go to Bangkok have a three week stopover and head for the islands. In fact that's what I am doing at the end of September!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:22 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

I would definately recommend Bangkok for a 2-3 night stay.
Make sure you go to Patpong market and enjoy the fantastic food in the lovely restuarants.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I like KL

A few years ago My brother in law was working and living in KL and we visited a couple of times.

It can have 'an edge' but you really need to know someone who knows their way around to find the best places.

It is certainly better than Singapore which has already been aptly described as 'an air conditioned shopping mall'.

Other places in Malaysia worth a stopover are Penang and Langkawi.
Malaysian airlines also do subsidised stopovers in these places with free hotel rooms but you would need more than a couple of days.

G
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:50 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Stopvers-help

Originally posted by melaniee

Or any others?-please!

Have you checked both Cathay and Qantas, I always fly this route to Perth. As I work for Virgin Atlantic I fly LHR-HKG on us then used to get from HKG to PER on Cathay. The frequency of direct flights between PER and HKG has dramatically increased recently with 6 flights a week covered by Cathay and Qantas.

Good Luck
Kala
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:59 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MRU

Originally posted by lucyb
Here's one I bet you never thought of... Mauritius!

You can do Perth-Mauritius-Heathrow.

I took some travel agents out there and flew Air Mauritius and they were excellent. Very Comfy seats, excellent crew, and very good food. They fly a very modern fleet too........

Mauritius is gorgeous!

www.airmauritius.com

HTH
Lucy
Presumably you can do Heathrow Mauritius Perth?
Old Jul 16th 2004, 2:50 am

Yes you can...their website has the schedule on it! Are you tempted?! I can give you the names of some really nice hotels if you need any advice!! ( I wish I was there now...sigh!)

Lucy
Old Jul 16th 2004, 7:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Probably from Perth Tokyo is a bit out of the way, but from the East coast it is a good way to stopover.

Mauritius or Joburg would be good from Perth.

Prefer BKK to KL but each to his own! SIN is actually my favourite but then we wrinklies like home comforts....

India could be an interesting stop but they make the visas so difficult to get you rather lose interest!
Old Jul 16th 2004, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Hello, read your piost but skipped t5he reply ( thatere's carlsberg export for you ) but here's my opinion.

Actually it isn't my opinion because i have never been anywhere but it is my uncle's, who recwently advised us.

Bangkok, fantastic, apparently, you can rewardrobe your entire family fotr under a tenner ( personally i think he was exaggerating but the message got through) and you can go out for a decent meal and hardly notice it in your wallet.

Singapore, very nice, great markets but a bit dearer than bangkok, also very hot ( didn't say what bangkok was like ).

He is a pilot for British Airways and i trust his judgement, i may be wrong but the impression i got was bangkok, he thought we would love the place.

Each to his/her own, different tastes and all that.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.