Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopping Smoking.

Stopping Smoking.

Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:45 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stopping Smoking.

i have now been on the patches for the last two days, and i am ashamed to say that i could tear my own hair out!!

I am by no means a heavy smoker during the week, but once i get a pint in hand i am terrible, so last weekend i thought enough is enough and went and got the patches.

I know you require will power as well but i thought the patches were also meant to dampen the craving?? i am gasping :scared: !!

I am determind to do this so onwards!! Any tips from people who have gave up the dreaded weed would be much appreciated.

Mr Madsad.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:49 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stopping Smoking.

Originally Posted by madsad
i have now been on the patches for the last two days, and i am ashamed to say that i could tear my own hair out!!

I am by no means a heavy smoker during the week, but once i get a pint in hand i am terrible, so last weekend i thought enough is enough and went and got the patches.

I know you require will power as well but i thought the patches were also meant to dampen the craving?? i am gasping :scared: !!

I am determind to do this so onwards!! Any tips from people who have gave up the dreaded weed would be much appreciated.

Mr Madsad.

I sympathise!!! I gave up no problems when pregnant and was a militant anti smoker...couldnt stand the smell. Now dont smoke at all except with a glass of vino, which sadly happens to be about 3-4 nights per week! I hate the fact I have no willpower when I drink. Weak cow!!!

Good luck!

Lucy
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:01 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

not personnal as I never smoked that much, but my sister who has now kicked the habit washed everything - clothes, curtains etc so the smell was no longer around her house. She used some of the chewing gum stuff but not the amounts recommended as she felt she would spend 24/7 chewing away like a cow She did find the habitual ones (like ones after a meal or first thing when you get up) the hardest. Maybe avoid going to the pub for a drink or get a packet of crisps (I know not good for the waistline) to fill the other empty hand.

Someone else I know when stuck outside in the cold & wet smoking, thought what the hell was he doing. He used patches and also gain sponsorship for charity for some motivation and not been smoking for several month after decades on the weed.

Good luck
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine wore two patches. Don't know if you are supposed to

Unfortunately the brain is a funny thing. Your heart says you need to give up but your brain says " over my dead body" - if you get my meaning :scared:

I wanted to give up and tried loads of times, then came back from holiday, ran out of duty free and said never again and haven't even craved a sniff in 18 years.

I wish you luck and send you Karma. Hope it helps.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry got to spread it about before I can give it to you. Hope hubby doesn't read that bit!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Get pregnant Haven't touched one since the day I suspected I was preggers with my 1st baby over 7 years ago. Can't stand them now. Yuck. I believe cleaning your teeth every time you have a craving can help- better stock up on toothpaste
I remember about 16 years ago when my hubby and I were young students his mum paid for him to go for accupuncture in Edinburgh. He said it hurt like hell and he wanted a fag the minute he came out...........however, the thought of his mum nagging him for ever more was too much and he hasn't touched one since. His mum is in Helensburgh- not all that far from you- shall I give you her number
Good luck- it really is worth it- I can run 7 miles now no prob- couldn't even run after a bus in my student days. Stick with it!
Yvonne
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:32 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

I have tried the patches and they didn't work for me, but I did manage to give up for 3 months using the Pretend cigerette puffer. It is a plastic cigerette and you insert a tiny capsule which gives you the Nicotine you crave, I did 2 months with this, Then the 3rd month without anything, unfortunately my dad passed away during the 3rd month, I managed to get through the funeral etc but gave in when things returned to some sort of normality and you have time to think a lot.

I will try again, but need the time to be right.

Good luck Madsad

Julia
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:35 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Mr Madsad.
Madsad I gave up 4 weeks ago monday(and counting)...I use the patches but I use gums as well for those times I crave a fag...I get what I call house brick chest when Im craving and the gums get rid of it...
Cutting the patches down a step nxt week...!!! Im actually not feeling as bad as I thought(this is second time of giving up)At the mo Im on full strength patch (16 hrs) and 4mg gum 8 - 10 a day...but its working for me...
Fone the govt help line thingy and they give you a number of the local what I laughingly call fag club...they get you prescriptions for the give it up drugs so its alot cheaper to pack it in...being an ex rolly smoker it would normally cost me alot more to give it up...! how mads that...best of luck
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:37 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by peppi
Madsad I gave up 4 weeks ago monday(and counting)...I use the patches but I use gums as well for those times I crave a fag...I get what I call house brick chest when Im craving and the gums get rid of it...
Cutting the patches down a step nxt week...!!! Im actually not feeling as bad as I thought(this is second time of giving up)At the mo Im on full strength patch (16 hrs) and 4mg gum 8 - 10 a day...but its working for me...
Fone the govt help line thingy and they give you a number of the local what I laughingly call fag club...they get you prescriptions for the give it up drugs so its alot cheaper to pack it in...being an ex rolly smoker it would normally cost me alot more to give it up...! how mads that...best of luck
Sorry best of luck MR madsad...
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:15 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peppi
Sorry best of luck MR madsad...

Thanks for the support everyone, heading for bed now and have not gave in so another one done.

Cheers Again.

PS> I'm still fu**in gaspin!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

alamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Madsad.

Mr Madsad,

Good luck with the stopping.
Mo and I gave up 18mths ago come 15th of this month (easy to remember-its my pay day). We went for a one off hypnotherapy session in EK and havent looked back since. Reckon you really need to want to stop though.

Good luck again.

Al
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:20 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Mr Madsad.
I gave up as soon as I got here. Its been nearly 8 months now. I lapsed a couple of times over a drink. But now I have got past that stage and don't feel the need to have a fag with a drink.

I now can't drink either as I am pregnant but I am so glad I gave up the fags before that happened.

I think you need to have the will to stop otherwise it doesn't work. I set my goal to be when I landed I would have no more.

My hubby still smokes but I detest it now. But at the moment there is no way he will give up but at least he smokes outside now.

Good luck and just keep at it. No one said it would be easy take each day as it comes

Jo
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Mr Madsad.
Wow!! I remember that feeling i do not envy you at all, forget all your pills patches and remedies get yourslef down to W H Smith's (or any good book store) and buy Allen Carr's "easyway to stop smoking" I promise it will be the best £8 you ever spend.

I went from 20 a day to nothing overnight as did my other half

Good Luck!!!

Tabby
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:41 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Yep, Allan Carr did it for me too - 20 red Marlboro a day down to nothing overnight - honestly - my hubby couldn't believe it (neither could I if truth be known) - no pulling out of hair, no major cravings. no 'bad' stuff at all.

That was 5 months ago - just told everyone I am three months pregnant and the first thing they ask is 'what about the fags?' They can't believe I gave up just like that - no relapses at all.

Read the book and all will be well, my friend.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:54 pm
maggy

Mr Madsad.
My partner and I are taking zyban to try and stop smoking.

I tried them in the UK a few years ago and quit the cigs no problem.

I went from 30 a day to nothing and it was really easy no cravings nothing.

Then I was going through a stressful time and after a year of being smoke free took it up again.

STUPID COW.

I am hoping zyban will help again this time and I certainly wont light up again.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.