Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopping off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do

Stopping off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Stopping off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do

Were heading out to Melbourne December 9th with a 4 night stop off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do, places to go, eat etc? 2 adults and 1 8 year old child. Also we love to shop so tell me whats good to buy in Singapore?

Also were staying in the Pan Pacific hotel which looks nice. Has anyone stayed before? Any comments?
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all
Default Re: Stopping off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Were heading out to Melbourne December 9th with a 4 night stop off in Singapore. Any suggestions for things to do, places to go, eat etc? 2 adults and 1 8 year old child. Also we love to shop so tell me whats good to buy in Singapore?

Also were staying in the Pan Pacific hotel which looks nice. Has anyone stayed before? Any comments?
Sentosa is great for a day out with kids http://www.sentosa.com.sg/
A singapore sling at the long bar at Raffles hotel I think is a must!! ( lots of little birds fly about eating the discarded peanuts which you are given in their shells)
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

The zoo is worth a visit on one of your days there. We went early for "Breakfast with the Urangatans"! - well worth it.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, you have to eat at the satay club it's not a club, it's a street full of small stalls cooking fresh authentic food. It's beautiful, the best Singapore noodles ever!! It's a very cultural experience too!!

Sentosa nice too

Last edited by sammyg; Aug 23rd 2007 at 8:51 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

If you like a good curry the go to little India it as some great curry houses there.
you might need to ask to find them but its worth it
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Go and treat yourself to a meal at raffles fantastic restaurant and the birth place of the singapore sling its a great night!!! Then catch a ride home on a rickshaw great fun. We did it on valentines night and the guy played romantic songs all the way back to the hotel, whilst telling us weird and wonderful stories
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Only one thing you HAVE to do and that is as previously said - SINGAPORE SLING AT LONG BAR IN RAFFLES - great experience and the one thing everyone will ak you if you did when u talk about singapore!!! ENJOY GUYS!!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Just back this morning from a business trip to Singapore.

They have night tours to the Zoo as well, didn't manage it, but did get told by many it was well worth the trip. Did a quick evening dinner tour to orientate myself. This took in a quick river trip, dinner in an india or chinese, a visit to a night market, Raffles and a Pewter shop. $49 Singapore dollars. When I swopped hotels for the secnd part of my stay I was better placed to walk out at night so felt a bit more at home.

Clarke Quay is worth a visit evening or day - you do not need a tour guide just a taxi in case your hotel is more than 10 mins away. This area is bustling at night with plenty of places to eat and Shopping malls to wander in. You can get the river trips from here yourself to see the Lionfish up the river.

Near Raffles is a place called Chimes or some such spelling which is an old school and convent changed in to an eating and shopping place which is ok.

Mustafa - again spelling not so sure on is theplace to go apparently shopping open nearly 24hrs. You get electrical stuff here at reasonable prices. I would recommend you know exactly what you want and the price in the UK/Aus tht you would buy it for because I did not find Singapore any cheaper than Aus - but with brit pounds it will look a lot better. Aus dollar is only about 1.21 sing dollars but UK pound is nearer 3 to 1.

The food is good in Singapre but the alcohol prices are a bit steep - especially hotel prices. A singapore sling at Raffles is around $23 sing. I bought drinks out in the 7 elevens and used my hotel mini bar to cool them for me, better than paying $5 for a coke. One chap with us did not check the prices and had six Baileys in Raffles the plaza - typical four star singapore hotel $108 dollars later!!!!! I had two diet cokes and this cost me $16.

Clothes shopping in thenormal malls to me was similar prices to Aus and nothing different that I could see. You need someone on here to recommend the better areas for cheaper shopping I was very much in the Business and tourist areas.

I am possibly going back for the month of September and plan to find out a lot more. So let me know if you have a specific question I can find out. I will make a bet somone on here will have loads more answers as well.

Singapore has Marks & Spencers but all the clothes not the food, ok it has some tins of biscuits and odd things but since I was just in England the week before Singapore this was not a treat and will not be for you either!

Hope all your planning goes well
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Andrew Crown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Now the Pan Pacific is my favourite hotel for Singapore stopovers, you will love it, there is nothing like it in Europe, the sheer scale of the place will have your jaw dropping.
With Singapore, do not not under estimate just how hot and humid it is. There is a night club/ restaurant on the 80th floor of the Swiss Hotel, which is worth the visit for the views.
Singapore has recently gone smoke free, so if you need to smoke the Pan Pacific has a few rooms with balconies for smoking.
Agree with the other comments on Raffles.
Personally I find Singapore too hot to do anything more than chill in the bar.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

I stayed in the pan pacific lovely hotel cost me £30 per night and we got upgraded and stayed on 28th floor great views.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:47 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

The Night Zoo trip is great and the Bird Park is also fantastic.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by killamarsh
The Night Zoo trip is great and the Bird Park is also fantastic.
Thanks a million for all the advice and apologies for delay in replying.

Will review all the info and start planning. BTW how the hell did you get that hotel for £30 nessyp?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:33 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I got my in 04 under that as I flew with Singapore and they offer fab deals.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Take a "Duck Tour" - your 8 year old will love it. It goes overland and into the water; it's good fun. My kids (14, 8 and 4) adore the Marina Mandarin hotel - the staff are lovely with kids and the rooftop pool is a great place to hang out.