Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Stopped by police for taking photographs

Stopped by police for taking photographs

Old May 27th 2014, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stopped by police for taking photographs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Happened to me at Milton Keynes shopping center on my last visit.

I got asked questions as to why I was taking so many pictures of different areas of the center, whats more they told me all the areas I had been and obviously been tracking me on their CCTV. I think the difference is I was on my own that day, in a very quiet center and was taking pictures along corridors and outside carparks etc etc, I was actually getting the established trees and bushes.

Name, Address, boy did they get prickly when I told them I was an overseas tourist. I didn't have to go to a police station, I think my Crystal Palace top was the thing that convinced them, no self respecting terrorist would have been such an obvious supporter, complete with associated identifiable old accent.
A guy wearing a Crystal Palace top taking photo's of the Milton Keynes shopping mall.

I mean .... who does that?

Old May 27th 2014, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
A guy wearing a Crystal Palace top taking photo's of the Milton Keynes shopping mall.

I mean .... who does that?

Sounds more like the police would have thought he was a care in the community day releaser
Old May 27th 2014, 6:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That justy shows what I was saying, Police stations and Shopping centres, both the sort of places that have been past targets by terrorists, and, while I know there is no law against taking photos in public areas, the police will have the power to stop and question anyone doing so, to assure them that they are NOT terrorists, perhpad the tking of detaails was just to put the fear of god into someone, and nothing may well have been done with the info, but you wouldn't know that, and it would be a warning, and deterrent, to not repeat it, otherwise things just may have happened.
Old May 27th 2014, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

And in the meantime 430000000 break and enters went unsolved.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
And in the meantime 430000000 break and enters went unsolved.
Interesting number.. does that mean EVERY house ws broken into several times during that period, or was it just open house for a few. 430 million is quite a lot of break-ins.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I used to work in a photo library and we were always having these problems especially as it was aviation. I've been told off a few times at various airports!

Actually you can't take photos on private property and this includes Canary Wharf, shopping centres and National Trust lands for commercial reasons without permissions and permits. However, the security and police don't know who you are and in light of terrorism will pounce on you. You can take pics of Canary Wharf and Nat Trust on footpaths and roads around their land and then you are ok.

Many places you think are public aren't.

The Adelaide cops seemed a bit OTT considering you are a tourist! A simple please don't do this would have been suitable.

There is a lot of complaints around the world by photographers on this subject, many cops and security people don't actually know the rights of the man in the street and will just get heavy handed. I guess if you were doing something suspicious and they let it go they would be in so much trouble so they just go overboard the other way.

Hope this hasn't put you off Oz and I'm sure there must be some process for you to find out if your details have been kept.
Old May 27th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Interesting number.. does that mean EVERY house ws broken into several times during that period, or was it just open house for a few. 430 million is quite a lot of break-ins.
The breakin's are global and seasonally adjusted further also allow for weather and other terrorist related information that cannot be published in order to ensure that national security is not compromised .

And the only thing we can say en claire is,---none were solved
Old May 27th 2014, 9:16 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Stopped by police for taking photographs

I got asked questions as to why I was taking so many pictures of different areas of the center, whats more they told me all the areas I had been and obviously been tracking me on their CCTV. I think the difference is I was on my own that day, in a very quiet center and was taking pictures along corridors and outside carparks etc etc, I was actually getting the established trees and bushes.

Name, Address, boy did they get prickly when I told them I was an overseas tourist. I didn't have to go to a police station, I think my Crystal Palace top was the thing that convinced them, no self respecting terrorist would have been such an obvious supporter, complete with associated identifiable old accent.
Brilliant. I bet they couldn't believe it

Milton Keynes
Old May 27th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

In the early 70s 4 of us were sharing a car to work near Croydon. Police stopped us and spoke to the driver - Name? DoB? Occupation? "Geophysist" (not written down), place of birth? Name of town in Germany (not written down), What's in the boot? "Dirty rugby kit". They checked, stepped back quickly and sent us on our way.

We've been stopped and questioned by police in the UK, Australia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Mexico, Bali, and probably elsewhere. Doesn't happen now we're older
Old May 27th 2014, 10:38 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Quite surprised the OP was taking photos of a police station in Adelaide CBD - there's 2 and neither are in scenic locations or near any places of interest. I can see why it maybe raised some interest
Old May 27th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Nevertheless, he had no right to do that.

If he was a security guard at the Canary Wharf ( the main zone that Al-Qaeda have been focusing on since 9/11) I think you'll find he had every right to do that. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. He was doing what he gets paid to do.

I think the potential risk of thousands of people's lives are more important than a photograph and I don't think anyone with any sense would dispute that.
Old May 27th 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

You weren't taking photos of the big cow statues were you?

From what I understand you are allowed to take photos of anything so long as you're in a public place. It annoyed me a few years ago when my 2 girls were learning to swim and I wanted to take photos of them in the public baths but on several occasions staff members would come up to me and tell me it was illegal. I always replied it wasn't illegal but they had the right to stop me from doing it. 2 completely different things.

If you're causing a public nuisance then the police can move you on, but not stop you from taking pictures. I suppose they can ask for your ID etc.

A friend of mine did a photography course last year and he was telling me about privacy laws and peoples right not to be photographed. It's a rule of thumb that you can photo anyone with a X3 zoom even if they're on private land. This means that if someone is about a hundred yards away you will not get a very good photo of them. However if you've got a X20 zoom hiding in a tree 300 yards from someone then you're invading their right of privacy if you photo them. This will probably change as sensors get better.

Keel
Old May 27th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Sounds more like the police would have thought he was a care in the community day releaser
Yup, they were actually trying to trace back where he came from on CCTV so they could return him to safe care..
Old May 27th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
You weren't taking photos of the big cow statues were you?

From what I understand you are allowed to take photos of anything so long as you're in a public place. It annoyed me a few years ago when my 2 girls were learning to swim and I wanted to take photos of them in the public baths but on several occasions staff members would come up to me and tell me it was illegal. I always replied it wasn't illegal but they had the right to stop me from doing it. 2 completely different things.
While it is frustrating not being able to get photos of your own kids, you can definitely understand why they might not want you taking photos of kiddies in the swimming pools.
Even if you were doing it innocently enough, there is a reasonable chance you might be getting other kids in the shot, next thing you know the photo is on Facebook and then that's not respecting anyone else's right to not have photos of their kids in bathers on the net.
Old May 27th 2014, 3:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
While it is frustrating not being able to get photos of your own kids, you can definitely understand why they might not want you taking photos of kiddies in the swimming pools.
Even if you were doing it innocently enough, there is a reasonable chance you might be getting other kids in the shot, next thing you know the photo is on Facebook and then that's not respecting anyone else's right to not have photos of their kids in bathers on the net.
Exactly. Unfortunately these days such things as photographs have to be viewed in a wider sense (no pun intended!)

Taking pictures of a police station may seem innocent, but if that poice station is later subjecto a terrorist attack and one of the local cops says "yeah there was this guy with a camera, but he looked like a tourist so I ignored him....." Tourist or someone scoping a target? Its difficult, and I'm not defending the actions of the police because I don't know enough abough the incident, but if part of the briefing for his job is to report suspicious behaviour, thats what he needs to do. Some people have better people-skills than others, so would cause less offence, of course.

Back in the days of the IRA being active in the UK, I worked for Sussex Force Intelligence Unit. We were frequently reminded of the bombing of the Grand Hotel, and the need to always remember it could happen again. Report people asking odd questions - report people taking photos in strange places - Brighton police station was a concrete monstrosity, anyone taking a photo was instantly under suspicion.
I can see why the Canary Wharf guard would ask questions; most of us would just be taking tourist photos, but his job would include the need to spot that one person taking photos with a more sinister purpose.

Sad indictment on life today, but please guys, try and see it as a wider picture, as an attempt to keep people safe rather than an attempt to be a killjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.